jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

It's On: Archbishop Dolan vs President Obama

1. Cassie Smith profile image76
    Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago

The media hasn't said anything much, but Archbishop Dolan sent a letter to the rest of the bishops in the US reasserting that The Church will not yield to Obama's mandate that the Catholics and their institutions provide health insurance that must cover sterilizations, contraceptives and abortifacients.  It's quite clear that it infringes on their religion freedom.  My money's on Archbishop Dolan.

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What in God's name is an abortifacient?
      I want to ask my insurance company if they cover it.

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If it's so clear, please explain it to us? I only see the freedom to be ignorant, wasteful and burdensome in that declaration. That Catholic Church doesn't pay taxes, either.

2. The Suburban Poet profile image81
    The Suburban Poetposted 4 years ago

You think Obama is ignorant? He's a believer last I checked.

3. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

1. Not every employee of Catholic institutions (universities, hospitals, etc) is Catholic.
    2. Just because the insurance covers something doesn't mean every person covered has to avail themselves of it. That's the freedom part.
    3. What any individual Catholic does or doesn't do is between her (or him) and the confessional. This may come as a huge shock, but if every Catholic in the US relied on the rhythm method there would be a heck of a lot more little altar boys and girls running around than there are now.