Does it bother you that you will likely be forgotten?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (51 posts)
  1. WretchedRapture profile image67
    WretchedRaptureposted 12 years ago

Sometime after your death, the odds are that you won't be remembered. Unless you invent, discover, or write something (which, i'm sure most of us here at hubpages dream of) which has a significant impact on the world---you may not even be remembered in your own family after a few generations have passed. I've more to add, but I'd like to here what others have to add first. What are your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why should I be special?

WretchedRaptureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To each their own, I've just always felt that it was important to be remembered. If you are not remembered, it's as if you were never here in the first place. The things that you have done, the bonds that you have formed with others, it's like they never happened. I understand that is quite an extreme thing to say, but it's thoughts like this that keep me motivated to accomplish great things and at the very least, live a respectable and honorable life while I have the opportunity to do so. If nothing else, forgotten or not, I'd like to leave knowing that I tried. :]

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suppose it depends, both Einstein and Hitler will be remembered for a very long time.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not you.

3. neeta chauhan profile image60
      neeta chauhanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Every one has to die and that is the eternal truth. At the same time
      we all should be prepared that we will be most likely be
      forgotten by everyone but then why not do such things in
      life that can leave a name behind which will be remembered by all
      this depends on us only and no one else...

4. Jason Marovich profile image89
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let's not leave out the possibility that it could be us that forgets everyone we left behind, eventually. 

God grants talents to each of us, it is up to us to use them as best we can to affect the world we live in.  And I think there is no doubt that each of us affects the world during our lives.  I think that's enough.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

I wonder what talents God grants to the starving children of the world and how they can affect the world they die in?

Perhaps, God is way too busy with granting too many talents for too few people?

1. Jason Marovich profile image89

A starving child could affect humanity's path more than you or I could.  Easily.

Now, this I've gotta hear. Please proceed and pass the popcorn.

Actually, I should have said starving children have already affected the world more than you and I ever will. 

They are helpless and mankind isn't cruel.  A man or woman starving is tragic, but they aren't helpless.  People would be far more willing to help someone who can't help themselves.

So, perhaps a missionary from the United States travels to Africa, meets a starving child, feeds him, and, over the years, watches him grow.  The kid goes on to work in irrigation designs, and helps to feed the children of his village for generations.

The missionary goes home and tells his church about it.  They are inspired to send more missionaries to help others.

And on and on it could go.  Influence and positive change, all because of one starving child.

While it's well known the sole purpose of Missionaries is converting, could you possibly talk about reality, now?

5. Jaggedfrost profile image62
      Jaggedfrostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It only follows that if you do nothing for others that you will be forgotten. If you wish to be remembered actively go about doing something that will benifit others who are not in your paradigm to understand the world and eachother or try really hard to destroy everything instead. If you do something that manages to accomplish both at the same time... Go for it I guess.

6. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm of an older generation so it doesn't bother me that much. Today, people are growing up with a sense that they're entitled to be noticed.  I suppose feeling the need to be remembered is part of that.

To be remembered out of the millions and millions of people in this world, you need to be special. It would be egotistical of me to expect that I'll be one of those people.  That's just life.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A psychiatrist was on a radio show, talking about "The Facebook generation".  His take on it is that today's younger people see themselves as the stars of their own reality show.  smile  As for me, I've barely ever thought of whether I'll be remembered or not (but assume I won't be).  That's fine with me.

"The Facebook Generation" X]

2. WretchedRapture profile image67

@Marissa Wright I'm probably included in the younger generation that you're speaking of, and while there is definitely people my age who would like to be remembered in the egotistical sense, I'd like to clear up my opinion on the subject. I don't wish to be remembered for the sake of my self or my ego, but rather I think of being remembered as a sort of benchmark to know that I have done something significant for the world and for the sake of others.

7. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes it does bother me a little...
      But then I remember my Mom who always said one of her grandfathers was the one person who was hugely influential Spiritually to her when she was a child.  She passed that item along to us kids, so I actually "remember" that fact about my great-grandfather even though I never met him.  Etc., etc.   So I think we all have a huge impact on future generations, even if it's only in one seemingly small way....

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I'm not going anywhere

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All will be forgotten, except for the truly grand and the truly rotten.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

exactly..  I'm not going anywhere

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Am I bothered that after I pass, what will happen to me is exactly the same as what has happened and what will happen to the majority of other humans on this planet? 

No, not at all.

4. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

Nobody knows me now, I doubt that'll change much.

5. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

It does bother me, and it's part of the reason I'm making sure to leave my mark smile On HP though, not so much... I'd rather keep my information here private, but outside of HP, I'm doing big things wink Haha

I might not be remembered forever, but I'll definitely be remembered for a while and in some social circles for quite some time wink

6. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

I've decided that I'm going to live until I'm 130, so there's plenty of time left to invent warp drive, cure cancer, and write a symphony. smile

7. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

There are 6 billion people on the planet. How many can you name? This is not MY world. Others are coming after me. Should I then just tear it up, turn it into a garbage heap so that those who come later have to clean it up? Walk softly upon the earth, and leave as little trace of your passing as is possible. It is the responsible thing to do.

8. Jason Marovich profile image89
    Jason Marovichposted 12 years ago

I purposely used missionary as an example, and, for that reason, I guess I deserved your return fire.  I'll give you credit for being worldly enough to know that organizations of all types have done the very things I've mentioned.

Religious or not, human beings are designed to want to help starving children.  Even a child that dies from starvation could cause a major reaction from mankind.

But, back on topic, there isn't any human life that hasn't affected the world.  Unless they lived in a closed environment all their lives.  To think little of our basic affect on the world just by living in it, is to grossly underestimate the changes our actions and words can cause in other people.

Interestingly enough, many of those other organizations agenda ARE to help and not to convert.

They die by the tens of thousands every day. What major reaction has that caused?

Actually, to get back on topic, I'm still interested to hear how your claim about God doling out talents rather than food for the starving has anything to do with reality?

1. neeta chauhan profile image60
        neeta chauhanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you are honestly dedicated in doing something because
        of which you can be remembered always even after you die
        then think fast  in doing something because life has become so unpredictable that you never know when you are here or in the grave.
        Secondly rely never on any organizations do something small but
        do it personally as these organizations are like loud speakers an aid to shout and announce result is zilch in most cases. Exactly nowadays we all are so occupied in our stresses that no one wants to grieve for the ones who die for more then a minute, before answering your question could you please answer my question, How is a baby born?
        what i mean is have you ever thought about the 9 months the baby goes
        through different stages in order to become a full grown baby while initially he/she is just an egg ..... God is the one who gives us lives then who can be the one to put talents in a persons mind besides God from which millions have and are earning their livelihoods " be humble in using your talent because its not your creation but a gift of God which can be taken away from you when ever he likes".
        Starvation is perhaps one of the biggest realities in this world and we only talk about it on dinner tables and after that the chapter is closed always remember you can never feel the intensity of the flame of the fire until you get burned by it therefore starvation is a curse on mankind which takes place on a country due to its poor leadership  / sins of the citizens that is why natural disasters are so common nowadays in every second country....

Conception, gestation and then birth. Does that help?

Nonsensical gibberish.

Stark denial of reality.

9. jponiato profile image87
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

Does it bother me that I'll likely be forgotten?  A little, but not enough to lose any sleep over.

10. Jason Marovich profile image89
    Jason Marovichposted 12 years ago

Yeah, because those kids they send over there to help dig a well or build a house or all about deceptively converting them.  C'mon.

I didn't say they had the effect to end hunger worldwide.

God has provided enough food on this Earth to feed every human being living on it.  Talking to you about God's gift of talents would be a wasted talk, since I already know you scorn anything that has to do with God, so why bother?

Odd, isn't it? You have at the very least expected that your God, in all his infinite wisdom and penchant for handing out talents would have figured out how to make sure everyone got a fair share.

*queue sinful evils of men sermon*

Of course, it's a wasted talk, because it's pure nonsense and insulting to every single child who dies of starvation, let alone an insult to the intellect.

It's God's fault He provided mankind (and the animals) with enough food to eat?  Does He have to do everything for us before He'll measure up to your standard for goodness?

1. Druid Dude profile image59
          Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Troubled is well on his way to the "forgotten" heap. Trouble yourself no more.

Did He really do that, or did men learn about agriculture and farming through trial and error?

If your God had any standards for goodness at all, there wouldn't be any starving children in the world.

I know, and there wouldn't be any wars or greed, either.  Or maybe at some point we, as human beings, are going to have to own those things, and not blame God.

There is an ancient myth in India, about a creature that came out of the sea and taught the people there about agriculture. Spiritual forces or entities are often associated in different mythologies with the advance of agriculture. An extraterrestrial civilization wouldn't have to be that much older than our own to possibly have been able to intervene in our affairs.  By the way Jason....the landlord is here, and the rent is due.

Any sea creatures or extraterrestrials got their information about agriculture from God, I'm sure.

When I can do more than live off the land myself, I'll send your landlord a check.

He's coming to the planet you're on next!smile

The moment believers stop praising God is when we can all stop blaming God.

Thought God doesn't exist? TM is ticked at God...how revealing!smile

Reading comprehension issues or you just didn't have anything else to say?

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
                    WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing of importance.

11. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Fully understanding God will enable you to stop blaming God. I comprehend that you included yourself in the "WE". You blame God, whom you say doesn't exist. If he truly doesn't exist, then God is to blame for nothing.

Don't contradict yourself.

12. WretchedRapture profile image67
    WretchedRaptureposted 12 years ago

Thank you all for your replies, I look forward to hearing more! big_smile

13. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

no it does not bother me at all.

If it did, I would probly go to great lengths to make sure the Grave marker is huge and states to all what I was supposed to be, or suposed to stand for!

makes no sense, by then, to do that.

I have come to a conclusion at 62 years that in the end?  only kindness mattered!  and only those that choose to will remember it. It is not in our control.

Hardly anyone knows I'm here anyways...what's the dif?

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You apear very fit for 62

14. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I flatter myself by hoping that the next two generations (from my genes) will remember me for a few years after my death.  Beyond that, why would I care?  I don't know them, they don't know me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)