jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)

Why do Christians believe Jesus is God...

1. hinazille profile image85
    hinazilleposted 4 years ago

...when Jesus clearly said 'My Father is Greater than I' in John 14:28?

Nothing can be greater than God, so by Jesus' own words, we can deduce that Jesus did not profess to be God, because he professes that there is a power Greater than him (Jesus). Why then do many Christians firmly believe that Jesus is God? Where does the conviction come from?

1. pisean282311 profile image60
      pisean282311posted 4 years ago in reply to this

what difference does it make....god is concept...whether u call it jesus or god or allah or yawh or say zeuh....does it make any difference...concept of god is simple , all powerful , omnipotent , omnipresent , first cause creator etc...in end it is concept...

2. kess profile image59
      kessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Logics dictate that in a Father Son relationship the father must be the greater of the two otherwise there is no father nor son.

Logics also dictates that in a father son relationship the son must be exactly like the father otherwise he cannot  be the son.

Understanding how the two remains true without any division nor contradiction in the concept will help you to know Father and Son.

3. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If Jesus was God, then to whom was he praying in the Garden of Gethsemane?

4. Kiss andTales profile image29
      Kiss andTalesposted 12 months ago in reply to this

The reason people believe that Jesus and the Father are the same is because of translations of copies that have dropped the Tetragrammaton YHWH from the scriptures.  If you were to read Greek and Hebrew , You would find the YHWH(Jehovah) over 7,000 times.
      Another thought how do we know that Jehovah name was used because Jesus himself went to the temple
      and read from the scrolls

Lu 4:19 to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.”

Lu 4:20 With that he rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were intently fixed on him.

Joh 17:26 I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

There is no way he could be the same person as stating these words  , because he could have drawn that attention to himself as to say you people should love me, not once did he take Glory from his Father Jehovah.
      Another thought when in the presence of humans he did not ever say worship me.

Mt 4:10 Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”
      Satan was asking Jesus to worship him , Jesus reply was it is written, So satan knew Who Jesus was , not God the Father.
      The demons also know.

Lu 4:34“ Ah! What have we to do with you, Jesus the Naz·a·reneʹ? Did you come to destroy us? I know exactly who you are, the Holy One of God.”

Lu 4:41 Demons also came out of many, crying out and saying: “You are the Son of God.” But rebuking them, he would not permit them to speak, for they knew him to be the Christ.

The demons did not call Jesus God.
      They said he was the son of God.

This is very clear and proven through the scriptures.

1. Credence2 profile image84
        Credence2posted 12 months ago in reply to this

How true, it is amazing how so many mainline Christian faiths miss this basic truths as provided in the scriptures.

2. sam91 profile image61
    sam91posted 4 years ago

There's no need for logic outside what Jesus says about himself: For example, when Jesus called himself the Good Shepherd or the True Shepherd, David called God the Shepherd...
    When Jesus talked to the crowd in his words "I tell you the truth, your Father Abraham rejoiced at the sight of my coming", He said so because when you read the account of Abraham and the three visitors and spoke to the one he called LORD or simply JEHOVAH or YAHWEH, this person told him that He would return to him but we understand that He returned to his seed (Abraham's).
    Perhaps one of the most significant claims Jesus made about himself which invited stoning from the Jews was when He said "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was, I AM". Now we all know what God said to Moses in the burning bush: "Tell them that I AM has sent me".
    Another significant thing written about Jesus is what we read in the book of Revelation that He is the Alpha and the Omega, The beginning and the end, which are the Exact words the God in the old testament (the book of Isaiah) uses when He says "I am the Alpha and the Omega".
    Jesus did in fact claim to be GOD.

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excellent response.

1. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Seconded and applauded.

3. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

Why did Jesus say God was greater than him? Maybe the letter to the Phillipians says it best.

"Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."--Phillipians 2:5-11

Jesus was also sent to be the ultimate example to humanity of what humans should behave like. He had no need to be forgiven from sin, yet he became baptized anyway, "to fulfill all righteousness." (Matthew 3:15) And he was of God, yet he was humble before God just like any mortal man ought to be.

1. Druid Dude profile image59

Very fine understanding, Eric.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image81
      LeslieAdrienneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excellent Eric.... Absolutely Excellent.....

3. Trichakra profile image59
      Trichakraposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

"If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him." Philip said to him, "Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us." Jesus replied, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father?' Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works."

4. sam91 profile image61
    sam91posted 4 years ago

Philippians 2:6-11
    “..Who being in the very nature God, did not consider EQUALITY with God something to be GRASPED (He let it go??)…”
    And the verse that follows simply: “But he made himself nothing and took the very nature of a servant [or the form of], being made in human likeness. Or he found himself in appearance as a man.
    One of the most interesting things about the human form is that
    1.    The body is referred to as the TEMPLE of the Holy Spirit. Even Christ called it that when he said “destroy this temple and I will rebuild it…”
    2.    Even though the human form was made a little lower than the angels man is exalted… David said, “Who is man that you are mindful of him? You created him a little lower than the angels but…”
    Throughout scripture we see that the flesh is a very sacred thing and it is important to see it like that because of what God regards it to be.
    So now, did Jesus claim to be God? Yes he did. Do we find it impossible to believe because God could not dwell amongst our sinful nature? I think that is where the problem is.
    God said, “I will dwell among them--- and when he took up the form of a man he was called IMMANUEL which means God with us, also he was to be called JESUS who is our savior.
    There are a couple of things you need to understand are different between US and JESUS. First, even though it makes sense to say that the son cannot be greater than the father [because I believe Jesus said that], that is to say only in terms of what we understand it to be according to our society ( I should add that ‘our society’ is different from that in Heaven as we read through the book of Job and find God asking him this question, “Do you know the laws of Heaven?”).
    There is a very important distinction between US and JESUS. For example:
    1.    The priesthood of Levi (which is us) is clearly different from the Priesthood of Jesus [which is that of Melchizedek]. One is that of the destructible life and the other is of the indestructible life. The point here is that the bible clearly gives a distinction between us and Jesus Christ in Hebrew 7:9 where we find Melchizedek [ One who is without mother or father, without beginning or end of life] who likened to the son of Man. According to Hebrews chapter 7, we find that Levi gave a tithe through his ancestor because when Abraham gave a tenth, Levi was still in the womb of his ancestor. So Abraham was greater than Levi because Levi was his son.
    But this is what is said about Jesus even though he referred to himself as the Son of Man: He said in John 20:41-44 “David calls him Lord, how then can he be his son?”
    So now we can also see that the idea of SONSHIP which we consider to apply to Jesus because he was a Son of Man and mortal like us [which is an error to think like that because Jesus was in fact immortal. He said, “DESTROY THIS TEMPLE AND I WILL REBUILD IT”, ALSO “I HAVE AUTHORITY TO GIVE MY LIFE AND TAKE IT AGAIN”… He was no mere mortal] is different.
    What we now end up with is ISAIAH 9:6: “...For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given. And His name shall be Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace…”
    Of the Wonderful counselor we find the promise of the Helper who is the Holy Spirit, Of the Might God we find IMMANUEL; also God the Father, just like the Everlasting father, of the Prince of peace we find the Son, Jesus Christ.
    Now Jesus Christ was the FIRST BORN of all creation (His body was prepared in the beginning) so that He became the FATHER of CREATION so that we find our son-ship in him because we came from him. We dwelled in Him in as much as He dwells within us as the Holy Spirit for whom we have been sealed for our day of redemption.
    God became a man:
    1.    Colossians 1:15-23 “…For God was pleased the HIS FULLNESS dwell in him”
    2.    Philippians 2:6-11 “…He took up the form of a servant, being made in human likeness…”
    3.    Isaiah 52:13 “…See, my servant…”
    The reason God became a man was in order that He might fulfill his word and also that He might become the ‘First Born’ of all creation--- creation of the flesh and also creation of the body of the resurrection so that He might be the first in ALL things, being the alpha and the omega, being the father of everything, God above all; THE FULFILLMENT of all things, JESUS CHRIST.

He also said that these were "not his teachings, but the teachings of the Father" You need to separate whether It was Jesus speaking of Jesus, or Jesus speaking from God. There is a difference. When God is speaking through Jesus, what is said takes on a whole different character. Peter said that Jesus was a man, approved of God. Smartest thing he ever said.

5. Michele Travis profile image68
    Michele Travisposted 4 years ago

Well when Jesus was asked when the end was coming he replied that he did not know but only God his father knew.  That makes them not the same.  That makes them Father and Son.

6. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago

Not all christians believe that Jesus was God, that there is a deeper mystery here.

1. Michele Travis profile image68
      Michele Travisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't believe Jesus is God.  I do believe, Jesus is the Son of God

7. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago

Good thing he's not running for president. If you think Obama's birth certificate was hard to find or authenticate...

8. 0
    erickcbposted 4 years ago

Ahh.. Religion. Divide, divide, divide.
    What is God?
    It is the small voice inside.
    All men have a heart and it will surely lead
    Up to the top of the mountain's peak
    To the one you truly seek.

Listen to your heartbeat.
    It is your guiding song.
    In the deepest deep, and the darkest dark,
    lies the Light of The One.

Remember, remember, remember,
    The child is always right.
    For only they posses the eyes,
    that can guide you through the Night.

Right on.

"I come not to bring peace, but, division and a sword." Worked pretty well, I'd say.

9. sam91 profile image61
    sam91posted 4 years ago

Do you mean 2 voice spoke through Christ? John 10vs 1 and 2 "I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep."
    John 10vs 7 "Therefore Jesus said again, I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep." vs 9  "I am the gate, whoever  enters through me will be saved"
    vs11 "I am the good shepherd..."
    Surely, from this text, does not Jesus say that He was the shepherd because he is the one who enters by the gate, but that he himself was the gate? Or was He insane? How could he be something by which something enters but also be the thing which enters? Isn't that what 'all in all' means; the true meaning of 'I and my father are one'?

10. Kiss andTales profile image29
    Kiss andTalesposted 12 months ago

I agree with you Credence.

11. flpalermo profile image27
    flpalermoposted 12 months ago

http://hub.me/aiV1A  Consider this Biblical view.