jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (34 posts)

As an Atheist, What would you choose?

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

If Jesus appeared before you in the flesh, told you he was Jesus and the true "Son of God" and then offered you the option to accept Him and become instantly saved and go to heaven, OR, refuse Him and instantly be tossed into damnation the lake of fire and the opportunity to never know God.

What would you choose to do? Accept OR Refuse there is no other choice.

1. Suranee1969 profile image83
      Suranee1969posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Interesting question Dave Matthews. As for me I would accept Him for He is my Savior. But as for tossing non-believers into hell for not believing in God, that's a bit extreme. I can't imagine the God and Jesus I worship would be so cruel.

If your read Micah 4 verse 4 - 5 it gives the following:

4 Everyone will sit under their own vine
         and under their own fig tree,
      and no one will make them afraid,
         for the LORD Almighty has spoken.

5 All the nations may walk
         in the name of their gods,
      but we will walk in the name of the LORD
         our God for ever and ever.

The above verses to my understanding talks of what will happen during the last days. It's clear proof of how non-believers will be judged. For those who follow another faith they will go with the god/leader of that religion.

Everyone has a right to follow their own beliefs/faith/religion. I'm sure even Jesus would agree with me on that.

2. H P Roychoudhury profile image73
      H P Roychoudhuryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe in God and I believe Him in my religion. Accordingly I can only place my personal opinion. There is no question of appearing God suddenly. God is already present among us where we could not see Him because we have not acquired the knowledgeable eye to see Him. God is everywhere. No question to refuse Him.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Are we going to be given proof? Or just take some guy's word for it that he is God in the flesh. I mean, if some guy walked up and gave me nothing more than that ultimatum, how would I know it was Jesus and not some Christian jerking my chain?

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your soul would recognize his soul. Or not. I think Dave is Jesus, and he's trying to trick you. Or, maybe he's satan, and he's just trying to trick you. I'm not sure what his point is.

3. skyfire profile image71
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

LOL.

1) It starts with if, which i find this funny. So this clearly shows that this is hypothetical and even the question poster knows that there was never such possibility and have no such evidence.

2) God is forgiving as per bible and as per the question posters belief, so there is no chance of choice to begin with even for those who deny right ? then and asking or putting test to begin with makes it humorous question.

3) This question assumes that god exist and it only needs approval of those who deny and hence setting up such situation to get the approval. This is again hilarious as it is from someone who is having trouble with his own belief because his thinking is based on what others believe or whether they get saved or not.

4) Isn't it ironic that the so-called god in bible loves you at the same time and gives you option to accept him (as it is ATM card) and if not, go to hell. But you know he loves you. big_smile

So my answer, let that entity appear first which caused panspermia on this planet, we'll talk after that. wink

Gave my kids the same choice....love me or go to hell! Not really....they love/hate me just like other kids. Too much room in this question to be talking to a shizophrenic escaped from the local loony motel.

4. davidkaluge profile image74
    davidkalugeposted 5 years ago

Well, I think Dave just gave his view and the answer will depend on the atheist concern. Some people will not believe even at gun point or if Jesus appear to them while other may believe. But I must ask why have not God or Jesus done that to make things easy even for the sake of religious divisions even among Christains. So atheist is not a major problem as those that even belief in God are confused and uncertain of the right means. Yes, they are uncertain because each group claim to be right.

Maybe God walks among us and we simply don't know it.

1. wilmiers77 profile image60
        wilmiers77posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Of course He does. God is omnipresent.

2. wilmiers77 profile image60

I have discovered long ago that all monotheistic religions have more in common than not. They may vary on the scaled parameters which are unique to all, but this can be attributed to different experiences, usually the ones of enduring hardships. This does cause conflict among the believers, but they are much more in one accord than all the nonbeliever.

Religions worshiping many Gods or idols are really placing extreme emphasis on certain ideals that help to propagate their culture which is common to all religions. These cultures has not yet recognized that God created all. These cultures are conflicted more than the monotheistic faiths.

5. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 5 years ago

Dave, you are a brave, brave man but those that do the work of Christ have to be.

I'm posting just to see the things some our fellow hubbers will throw at you simply because you're a Christian who obviously "walks the walk." I have no doubt you, with God's help, will endure it all with the Grace of a Christian and a gentleman.

I accepted Christ a long time ago.

God Bless.

I concur.

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Tell him I accept him, shake his hand and wait.  If I go to heaven, fine.  If not I'll go on about my daily life and put it out of my mind.

A little kindness to someone obviously in need of help can go a long way.

7. hookedhuntress profile image60
    hookedhuntressposted 5 years ago

I'm not an Atheist,but I think it would go along the same lines as what Emile said.PROOF!

Like the Jews Jesus walked and talked with they would seek more signs to be given.

"Nonbelievers shall look for a sign but there shall be none for them."

1. hookedhuntress profile image60
        hookedhuntressposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree completely, wilmiers. smile

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Really? So, we live in a world that defies everything written in the Old and New Testament. The world has been like this through all of recorded history. Yet your idea of a god would not give a sign of any kind to help someone believe. He'd rather see them in hell. Your god sounds like a bit of an ahole. Or is that simply an ahole interpretation?

1. hookedhuntress profile image60
          hookedhuntressposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If we keep  in context  Jesus/God had/has given signs but people don't want to see them.He raised people from the dead and that still wasn't good enough.
          That is where I was going with my statement.No,sign seems to ever be good enough.They always want another and another.

1. profile image0

I'm afraid I don't see how that is in context. You are speaking of a text written over 2000 years ago that cannot be corroborated. All things considered, I'm afraid your idea of a loving god is still suspect if you think a sign is too much to ask. However, that wasn't the statement. Wimiers said no sign would be offered.

Wilmiers was implying that the nonbelievers could not see the signs because in their hearts they real did not want to see a sign from God.

1. profile image0

Well, well well.. Judge and jury. Aren't you special.

2. getitrite profile image79
            getitriteposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But wouldn't it be nice if there were actually some REAL signs instead of this ancient, childish make believe? This only insults our intellect...and yours.

Only those who are in denial of the reality, of which they depend on everyday, will believe something this absurd.

Why have all cultures perceived a higher power w/o any communication between any? There is a practical need for a higher power when the bands begins to grow and settle in one place. We are spiritual being with a body to support us in the natural.

Can we all get alone? Yes, my sons, conceive a higher power for starters! LOL!

2. wilmiers77 profile image60

There shall be signs but the nonbelievers shall not see it...none for them to see. Sorry!

8. Jonathan Janco profile image74
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

If Jesus or anyone else for that matter threatened me with eternal hellfire, then he isnt really of God now is he? So I would refuse. But nice try Dave. However, if a Christed or Ascended individual came to me of all people to ask for help, I would gladly help.

9. glmclendon profile image51
    glmclendonposted 5 years ago

I am sure if I had the opportunity to talk with the Father there would be a lot to say. The Bible tells me He will make it so plain, even a fool ca n not error,I am sure He would show me His peace and love and understandably I would be impressed and want to know more. Because He is long suffering I think He would take the time to explain it to me.

Stay Well

10. skyfire profile image71
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

Non-believers are not jobless to look for a sign of a man who failed to defend his own life so let's keep the soul saving part for later discussion.

Eternal God has his ways. Later!...sure, if you say so.

1. skyfire profile image71
        skyfireposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ha. Eternal? that's funny. If all else fails, try "eternal" card.

What!!! You don't.

11. jacharless profile image79
    jacharlessposted 5 years ago

In retort to the nonbelievers not seeing a sign I recall when the sign appeared, the believing didn't see it; Even when Petros, himself, walked on water w-a-a-a-a-ay before the Event he still didn't thoroughly believe; people were healed and such, folk still did not believe. When then power came open them, millions of eyes and ears on the handful, people did not believe -in fact thought they were drunk. lol. Furthermore, to the believing also, no sign shall appear except the Sign of Jonah.

The underlying consideration begs to surface.

Emile is on to something: The world is and was greater than a tribe of people; a set of laws; etc. This is why sensationalism cannot truly prove the Truth. It knows "of Truth" but does not know Truth. To compensate, enter hell, fire, brimstone, signs, seasons, celebrations, wonders, death, and such. These are necessities to satisfy the same issue Adam had...

Sidebar: Folks missing the actual point of Y`shua appearing in the first place, certainly explains why they need a second coming.

James.

You named it. What do you think about manifestations of that sign in the natural world?

12. WretchedRapture profile image76
    WretchedRaptureposted 5 years ago

I'd say sure why not. If it works out, great! If I'm not instantly saved and taken to heaven, then I'm right back where I started. Nothing gained nothing lost.

working