jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)

Did Jesus have Joseph's DNA?

1. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

I've been curious about this, in an idle "whoa" kind of sense.

Do you think that Jesus, despite his virgin birth, had his earthly father's DNA? He certainly had a Y chromosome from somewhere, so it must have been either fabricated during his divine conception or borrowed from Joseph. Since Jesus was said to be the Son of David, and was descended from David through Joseph's lineage, the latter seems the most logical option to me, strange as it is.

Unless you don't believe in the virgin birth, in which case awesome for you, but be aware I'm asking the question in the context of accepting the virgin birth as fact.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They lost the specimens.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

Well, if you assume the virgin birth how would he have gotten Joseph's DNA?

Cloning.

Right after their "Close Encounter of the Moses Kind"

2. MelissaBarrett profile image61
        MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not so far fetched within the biblical world... God was the original cloner.

1. 0
          Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm. I thought this was a pointless question, but you and Druid Dude have got something there. Why not clonng? I guess stranger things have happened.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61

According to Genesis, Eve was created from Adam's rib.  Sounds like cloning to me... although how he got a female from a male donor is still a question. But considering he transmuted Adam from dirt why not?

1. Disappearinghead profile image87
              Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Bizarre! I never thought of Eve being a clone of Adam before. Now if Adam had X-Y chromosomes, then how did Eve end up with X-X chromosomes? I guess that basic genetics contradicts a literal interpretation of Genesis. Wow who would have thought eh?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61

I know right.  Who would have thought of basic science as being in direct conflict with Genesis... Go figure.

2. Druid Dude profile image59

It ain't called GENE sis for giggles.

3. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago

The key is on the first page, when God creates man, male and female. Both are in the set "God's Image" God is male and female according to his own image. Every human being is part male, part female. Thanks, Mom, Dad...you both did a fine job!

4. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago

It is all about giving credit where credit is due.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

Considering Mary and Joseph were probably related in some way (they lived in a small tribe or community), I'm going to say yes, because both of them would have been descended from some of the same ancestors, so some of Joseph's DNA could have been evident?

Pretty good answer.

1. Eric Newland profile image61
        Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This still begs the question of why Jesus is called the son of David via Joseph's lineage if Joseph is, in fact, not the father.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image61

Going back to the adam and eve thing... wouldn't everybody ONLY have Adam's DNA.  If the original (adam) mates with a clone (eve) then there is no real possibility of genetic variation.

1. luvpassion profile image60
        luvpassionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're forgetting the DNA from the supreme commander of the mother ship!

lol

6. Moezart de Foen profile image60
    Moezart de Foenposted 4 years ago

In the old testament, God promised through one of his ppl that the Messiah would come from the liniage of King David and still be the Son of God. [ I think thats why they call him King of Kings, cuase h'es 2 kings in 1. H'es SUPER KING smile ]. So Jesus became a human baby and went a mission. God chose Mary becuase 1)she's human so he could be part man and part Awesome! 2) becuase she was alerdy engaged to tge descedant of the King so by law(both ours and jewish) its Joseph's son 3) becuase she was smart, faithful, and im willing to bet sexy too.

7. Moezart de Foen profile image60
    Moezart de Foenposted 4 years ago

In the old testament, God promised through one of his ppl that the Messiah would come from the liniage of King David and still be the Son of God. [ I think thats why they call him King of Kings, cuase h'es 2 kings in 1. H'es SUPER KING smile ]. So Jesus became a human baby and went a mission. God chose Mary becuase 1)she's human so he could be part man and part Awesome! 2) becuase she was alerdy engaged to tge descedant of the King so by law(both ours and jewish) its Joseph's son 3) becuase she was smart, faithful, and im willing to bet sexy too.

8. hookedhuntress profile image60
    hookedhuntressposted 4 years ago

Seeing as how David lived approximately 1000 years before Jesus,the possibility of Jesus being David's actual son is not likely.

The genealogy of Mary starts in Luke 3
    Luke 3:23  And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, (KJV)

The real father of Joseph was Jacob (Matthew 1:16); but he married the daughter of Heli(Mary)
    They never permitted the name of a woman to enter the genealogical tables, but inserted her husband as the "son of" him who was in reality,his father-in-law.

In Matthew 1 we see the line of Joseph and Luke 3 is the line of Mary..but Mary was not allowed to have her name on the books so they put her husbands name.Mary and Joseph were both descendants of David.

Jesus is a descendant of David, by adoption through Joseph, and by blood through Mary.

tongue

9. WD Curry 111 profile image61
    WD Curry 111posted 4 years ago

No.

working