jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Humor In The Bible

1. hookedhuntress profile image61
    hookedhuntressposted 4 years ago

Okay so, I probably have an odd sense of humor at times.I will sometimes be reading my bible and something will strike me as funny.
    I thought it would be good to share one or two of my personal favorite funny stories/verses from the bible.I hope others will jump right in and share some of theirs as well.
    It's good for us to have a laugh. 

My first one is the story of Rachel and Leah.For those that may not know the story I will give a little background.
    I will be paraphrasing to condense a long story into a short one.You can read it in full in Gen 29:1.

Rachel and Leah were sisters who were both married to Jacob.These sister were fiercely vying for the affections of Jacob.
    One day Leah's son gathered a bunch of Mandrake roots and Rachel really wanted some, so Rachel traded a night of, hmmm, I'll say  "passion" with Jacob for some roots.

So the story goes when Jacob comes home from work ...

Gen 30:16 And Jacob came out of the field in the evening, and Leah went out to meet him, and said, Thou must come in unto me; for surely I have hired thee with my son's mandrakes. And he lay with her that night.

So Jacob comes home from work to find he had been pimped out for some roots! (my paraphrasing,of course)

Seriously is that not funny?

I just cannot help but think that Jacob had a little chuckle about that..and wonder if he said anything to the guys at work the next day about how he got traded for some roots. LOL

Here is another verse that I find funny.

Joshua 13:1 Now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the LORD said unto him, Thou art old and stricken in years,
    and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.

You know you are old when God calls you old."Thou art old and stricken in years". LOL, Maybe I am just a big goofball but that is so funny to me.

I cannot wait to see what some others have to share so we can maybe have a laugh.

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've always found the bible to be pretty much devoid of humour.

2. Dave Mathews profile image58
      Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

huntress: There is nothing wrong with a good sense of Ha Ha! Since it comes from scripture this must mean that God too has a sense of humor.

2. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

There are always some fun double entendres to be had if you've got a translation that prefers to say "ass" instead of "donkey."

3. ackman1465 profile image59
    ackman1465posted 4 years ago

I find it novel that the Bible sez:  ".... he lay with her that night..." instead of "... he laid her that night..."

I find myself coveting the latter much more-so than the former...... ( I don't mean with Leah... but with any girl who'd gullible enough to let me "lay with" her!!!!!)

4. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

When I was younger and Sunday School was boring (pretty much every Sunday when I was a kid) I'd go through my bible and circle all the accidental emoticons I could find- like when a sentence ended with wink or something like that. There are a few in the Bible.

That was all the humor I ever got out of the Bible as a kid.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is all a cosmic joke, created by the one who created humor. Maybe you've got the punch line, maybe you haven't.

5. teacherjoe52 profile image59
    teacherjoe52posted 4 years ago

I like the one about the talking donkey.Numbers 22

It was smarter thab his master.

Anyone who says God does not have a sense of humour I doubt they know God.

God bless you.