Are Christians supposed to be rich?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)
  1. tlmcgaa70 profile image62
    tlmcgaa70posted 12 years ago

i have heard many christians say GOD meant for them to be rich, even preachers, and i remember once hearing a woman preacher...joyce myers say that GOD intended to make her rich so she would not have to live in poverty. but then joyce myers as a christian is a laugh...a true CHRISTian would never call others fat cows because they disagree with her. consider these verses in Proverbs 23 (KJV);
    4Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.

5Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven" (Jesus,CE 28-32)

"Sell all that you have and give to the poor, then take up your "cross" and follow me" (Jesus,CE 28-32)

Not having any luck finding the need to be rich or Jesus wanting one to be rich...

2. aguasilver profile image69
      aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The immediate verses that comes to mind are:

Luke 6:37-39
      King James Version (KJV)
      Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

and...

Proverbs 11:27-29
      Amplified Bible (AMP)
      He who diligently seeks good seeks [God's] favor, but he who searches after evil, it shall come upon him.
      He who leans on, trusts in, and is confident in his riches shall fall, but the [uncompromisingly] righteous shall flourish like a green bough.

Riches are not the problem, God does bless those who He chooses to bless, how we use His resources is the defining point.

I have been poor and rich, but content in all things...

Philippians 4:11-12
      Amplified Bible (AMP)
      Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am.

I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want.

Receiving money from the 'world' to use in the Kingdom is never a problem, however taking money from the saints to spend on self glorification is the mark of the hireling, who has received their reward here on earth in exchange for the reward in heaven that awaits the faithful and diligent servants of Christ.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen John.

A wise man named Agur requested (prayed?) in Proverbs 30: 7-9:

"Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die;

Remove far from me vanity and lies;  give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me;

Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say Who is the Lord?  or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."

1. Eric Newland profile image62
          Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, I'll have to remember that passage.

3. cprice75 profile image84
      cprice75posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some Christians are meant to be rich.  They are able to bless others with their wealth because God has blessed them.  These folks are generally not the TV preachers who get on the air and beg for money, though. 

Not all Christians are meant to be rich.  The health and wealth gospel is not the gospel at all, but more like some twisted self-help method.

4. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seeking to be rich is to strive after cash
      Seeking not to be poor is still striving after cash.
      The world is filled with both kinds of mentality and christian have more than their fair share.

There is a way to be rich without money.
      There is a way to be poor with lotsa money.

The one with understanding have no need of anything.

tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh! very well said! thank you!

2. anndavis25 profile image74
    anndavis25posted 12 years ago

Christians are supposed to be rich 'in spirit'.  Like a fruit bearing tree, your fruits of the faith will show and bear witness of your wealth.  Money is tangible, faith is everlasting.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The perfect answer! smile

1. anndavis25 profile image74
        anndavis25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you are referring to me lobobrandon,  thank you.

Yes I was smile

I usually don't participate in the religious forums but some posts do grab my attention and I just give one post and then go out as these forums usually have heated debates. But, you wrote exactly what I had to say wink

i agree with lobobrandon...your answer was perfect. and you sound like a smart person in your dealings with the religion forums brandon.

Haha smile I don't have the time to argue and I'm not well versed to quote the passage numbers etc. as most of you'll do big_smile

personally, i do my very best not to get into arguments, they never win a person anything. sometimes i take part in here if i feel compelled to do so, but if i can see i am getting nowhere, i will drop it. it isnt important to me if i look like i have "lost the argument" it is important to me to obey GOD who tells us not to strive over words.

1. anndavis25 profile image74
                  anndavis25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

good girl timcgaa.  As for me, I worked for an evangelist 5 years, and took Bible as a subject.  It's a hard subject, but so rewarding.

3. petenali profile image80
    petenaliposted 12 years ago

I don't think it's a question of "supposed" to be rich or not.  God's original intention was for mankind to have all their needs met - that was the case in the garden of Eden.  We messed that up and chose to do things our own way.  Jesus came to make a way for the curse of the garden to be broken.  He redeemed us from the curse of the law. 
    Therefore, as Christians we should not live with lack in our lives.
    That being said, wealth is so often misused.  God will bless those He can trust with it and remove it from this who abuse it.  Our abundance is to be used for our "needs" to be met but with a heart to be generous and help others.  God loves a cheerful giver.
    The whole "Christians must be poor" mentality is not scriptural.

4. Eric Newland profile image62
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

I would say that in a way wealth can be a spiritual burden for Christians who are not strong-willed. Greed can be very seductive; I think that's what Jesus meant by "Easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven."

Christians who come into wealth must be diligent and mindful that if God chose to bless them in that way it was because He wanted them to bless others by being generous with what they have. As many wealthy people have shown, this is easier said than done.

And regarding "Sell all that you have and give to the poor, then take up your 'cross' and follow me," I feel that's a way of saying that if and when we are so called we should be ready to give up any and all earthly comforts to go where Jesus asks. Everyone should be willing to do that, just as God demanded that Abraham be willing and ready to sacrifice his own son. I believe that it was exactly because he was willing to be so obedient that he was allowed not to carry through with it.

5. quildon profile image72
    quildonposted 12 years ago

It all depends on God's will, which is sovereign. He chooses whom He will bless with riches and whom He will not. We may not understand why this is. but that's the way it is. Money is never a bad thing if it's used to further the kingdom of God in this world.

6. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

Let's not forget that there is nothing wrong in the Christian pursuing a career that pays well and seeking better financial rewards for their work. I do so get tired of Church speak condemning such Christians as being "worldly".

actually, that all depends. if the reason a person seeks a better paying job and better financial rewards is because they want nice things, want, mind you , not need...then it is wrong. the reason GODs people are a poor and afflicted remnant is because when we depend on money to take care of us we forget about GOD. personally, i have found that GOD takes care of all my needs and even gives me things i want but do not need. money comes with to many problems and temptations.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are God's people poor and afflicted, or are they living in the same financial and material state as their contemporaries in society? I do know poor and financially afflicted Christians who are in that state because they believe the lie that they must give 10% of their salaries 'back to God" aka the church, and that if they sow their money seed they will reap a harvest.

tithing is as much what you give of yourself as what you give of your money. GODs people, those who truly believe and obey HIM, are content with what they have and do not seek to be rich. either you believe all of the bible or you believe none of it. you cant pick and choose to believe only that that allows you to live however you choose.

Tithing is not about giving yourself or money. Tithing is about a yearly Jewish festival to celebrate the Lord.

There is a world of difference between seeking to be rich, aka serving money, and seeking personal career improvement in order to better provide for one's family. There is no sin with the latter or conflict with "being a Christian".

Why do you suppose that when someone does not agree with what you say that they don't believe all of the bible?

it has nothing to do with whether you agree with me or not...it has everything to do with whether your words agree with what the bible teaches. and please tell me what yearly festival of the jews tithing belongs to, i have never heard of it before.

Read the Hebrew scriptures, and you will see detailed descriptions of the Jewish festivals. The annual tithe was one of them.

What are the words I have written in this thread that don't agree with the bible?

7. gregb4hope profile image69
    gregb4hopeposted 12 years ago

No christians are not supposed to be rich. They don't have a "right" to be rich anymore or less than anyone else.  In fact they have every right to use their talents and skills for a fair price like anyone else. The scripture say"therewith be content" which means to be secure and blessed no matter what your financial condition maybe on that given day.  It is contentment which is the goal of christians and others as well.  This gives you peace in the midst of circumstances and it don't mean you have to like it  just endure it and by your faith, God will provide greener pastures.

1. gregb4hope profile image69
      gregb4hopeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Being poor isn't a guarantee of being saved anymore than being rich implies you'rer lost. Our true riches is in the kingdom to come. That is what we are "supposed" to get based on God's word for our enduring faith. The abundance in this world can be a distraction/ temptation but having it is not a sin....however, loving it surely may be.  For the love of money is the root which can lead to evil.  And that can happen to any income level because it is the heart which lusted not the the category based on our income level.

8. profile image53
    cheezybreposted 12 years ago

its not rich in the way you think, its like they'd be pure and god would look after them so even the poorest would be rich.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)