jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Christian Monasticism

1. lambservant profile image95
    lambservantposted 4 years ago

Do you think Christian monasticism is scriptural? Many in this movement claim that Jesus and Moses and others in the Bible practiced it when they went out into the desert to fast and pray. I disagree. They did not do it as a lifestyke, they did it to seek the Father and went back to the world in God's strength to do the work of the Kingdom, which involved reaching out to the lost. We as Christian are called to pray and fast, but I don't believe a lifestyle living in remote areas, away from society, even if it's in a community of others with the same vow, and seek perfection and holiness. the reason I think this way is that Christ did mean for us to retreat from the world as a lifestyle. Seasons of prayer, fasting and solitude is necessary from time to time. But what good does being holy if you cannot give it away by being salt and light. Christ was out with the masses. Moses dealt with children of Israel. We cannot carry out the great commission living in seclusion. We are called to put hands and feet to our faith by sharing our faith with the world, who desperately needs Christ.

The scripture about sell all you own and give to the poor is taken out of context. It was said to the rich young ruler who made money his god. Anyway, just my thoughts. Would love to hear from others.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is hugely interesting.  This question has fleetingly crossed my mind, but I've never really thought about it in-depth.

Jesus was out with the masses, yes, but he didn't marry and become immersed in the worldly nor physical things like marrying; He knew His purpose wasn't in that.  And I dunno about all the disciples!  Except the Bible says Peter was married.  (Odd, that fact, since the Catholic Church considers itself based on Peter's life, yet their priests and monks and nuns don't marry, and they live secluded lives as you described)...

You've brought up good points about the balance between seclusion and the Great Commission...

There's a place in the New Testament where the disciples did band together as far as giving tithes etc. into the common group.   I need to look that up and study this further!  Great topic of discusssion. smile

2. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Since I have no clue how monasticism is in reference to Jesus, I honestly cannot offer an answer.

Jesus walked and lived amongst the people of the land, often being swarmed by them seeking His miracles and His teachings. Jesus socialized, eating and drinking with all sorts of people, especially those who were seen by the Pharisees as sinners, or diseased.

2. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

What do you mean monasticism doesn't help others? Haven't you ever had Trappist ale? Best dang beer I've ever tasted! I love those crazy monks!

On a more serious note, monks have contributed some very real things and ideas to the world at large. Influential writings, scientific discoveries (e.g. genetics). I could never choose such a lifestyle for myself, but I wouldn't judge others who chose it either. I think they have a role to play.

3. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago

Here it is.  In Acts 5: 31:

"And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

And the multitude of them that believed were of one accord of one heart and one soul: neithe said any of them that aught of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things in common."

34 goes on to say they sold their possessions and brought the money to give into a common till (anyway, laid it at the apostles' feet in verse 37).

Is that monasticism?  I don't think that prevented them from going out and preaching the Gospel to others?   And remember Peter was married....so he couldn't be considered a monk...or not?    I'm just asking questions here the same as the original post.....

4. Hyphenbird profile image94
    Hyphenbirdposted 4 years ago

We are told to go into all the world and teachthe good news of the gospel. We cannot do that if we isolate ourself in remote confines. The times when we get alone to seek God are important and sacred. But our mission is to lead the lost to Christ.

5. eseymore profile image60
    eseymoreposted 4 years ago

I would think that it is a blur of understanding, not that it is monasticism but a walk of life.  For those Christians who actually walk the walk take their faith and understanding to the masses.  It is not that you live a life hidden away with God alone.  You are to be vastly different from others which is stated in the Bible.  You are to be an reflection of Christ.  In this day and time and with most people you can talk to them all day long.  You can give them the proof in the Bible.  Yet, it is when they see it is when most will believe it.  Various different religious doctrines take different stands on a way of life.