jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

The Pope in Mexico.

1. steveso profile image67
    stevesoposted 4 years ago

Does it seem strange to anyone, other than mysel,f to see Pope Benedict XVI visiting Mexico, while 500 years ago the Spanish Conquistadors, in the name of  Pope Leo X and the Catholic Church basically wiped out the Aztec religion, art and culture and most of the Aztec people?

2. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

You are literally asking if it's strange that the Pope is visiting a predominantly Catholic nation?

On account of 500-year-old events?

1. steveso profile image67
      stevesoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No I think it is strange that he is visiting a country where his religion was forced upon the people and in the name of God and religion a culture was destroyed. 500 years old or not  we have learned nothing and history repeats itself.

1. 0
        Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

History repeats itself? Did Benedict arrive with an army? I didn't get an email from CNN on that one.

3. yoginijoy profile image80
    yoginijoyposted 4 years ago

I see your point of view and am of like mind. It has to do with perspective, you see, the Pope is not thinking that he is a conquistador and neither are most present-day Catholic Mexicans thinking of the Pope as an oppressor. However, those who are upset with Columbus Day are also the same ones who would ask a question like yours. There was no "discovery" since to be discovered something has to not exist already! We do tend to "forget" how history repeats and how power tends to oppress and corrupt and how we continue to act the same as we always have.

4. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 4 years ago

Why is it strange that a right wing pope, who was an active member of the hitler youth, would not visit one of the catholic dominions ?   after all, like so many parts of the world, the other cultures have been converted, through murder, deceipt and slavery to non-cultures.

5. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

Say, that reminds me: has the white race finished atoning for slavery yet? Has Troy ever apologized to Greece? Gotta keep punishing the living for what some dead people once did to some other dead people, you know, 'less history repeats itself.