jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Children trust adults...

1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago

When christian parents indoctrinate their children, I don't think they know their doing any damage. The problem is this; Children will whole heartedly believe anything their parents tell them and their minds may remain, from then on, clouded by fairytales...

2. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

A parent's faith is not their child's. A child may grow up with their parents' faith, but they will one day decide whether to make that faith their own or reject it, regardless of what they were taught. Quite honestly, the more heavy-handed the "indoctrination" is the more likely the child will eventually reject it.

The Amish, often thought of as backward in many ways, accept that reality so fully that they make it part of a child's initiation into adulthood.

3. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I agree with Eric. I think Hub Pages supports that statement because several of the biggest detractors have posted statements that they are the product of pentacostal upbringing.

I think the major problem I have with your assertion is that a good many of us were raised by Christian parents. We grew up. We thought about it and came to different conclusions than our parents did.

If I thought about it; who am I to say that those who came to different conclusions than I did didn't think about it too?

1. Eric Newland profile image60
      Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I sometimes joke that I did Catholicism backwards. I WASN'T raised Catholic and after I grew up I JOINED the church.

1. 0
        Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I find myself drawn to Catholicism in many ways myself. I think if I were to take the plunge it would be that. Or I'd convert and become a Jew for Jesus. I do like the gospels, and I respect a lot within Judaism.