jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Contrary Christians?

1. hookedhuntress profile image60
    hookedhuntressposted 4 years ago

I think that many times we think its about the labels and what is called Christian. What I mean by that, is that many seem to have forgotten the many warnings concerning wolves in sheep's clothing, deceivers being found among the brethren and so on. Many think if someone says the name Jesus that they are automatically okay and 'safe' to learn from or they can be called brother or sister in the Lord. But the fruit of the Spirit is not just having the love, joy, peace, and other attributes with in the list, because there are many 'nice' people who are deceivers..

Galatians 5:16-25 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
    19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

It is adhering to the Word of God and applying it to their lives in evaluation and our own. That is part of the fruit of the Spirit. Because the Spirit is truth.

Ephesians 6:13-14 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

Ephesians 6:15-18 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

That is how we grow in Christ and how we discern between the good fruit and the bad. Its not just based on someone's demeanor. We need to know if they are in the faith--just as each of us are called to check our own faith and beliefs to the Word of God

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the spirit is in all goodness, righteousness and TRUTH )

Can we really just overturn scripture,believe what we want,embrace the things of this world and still be a Christian?

2. jacharless profile image82
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

90% of those calling themselves Christians are in no way truthful, nor walking in spirit.
    The practice of paganism (celebrations, Gregorianism, demonology, evoking)
    The practice of idolatry (worship of texts, ministers, ego, etc)
    The practice of mockery/blasphemy (a tongue claiming a personal relationship with)
    The practice of sorcery/witchcraft (pretending to have the gifts or the casting out unclean afflictions (called devils) or getting a word : aka the power of the Spirit (ruach)).

Are you aware that Walk With/Walk In was the first attribute of Creator-creation relationship -on a real and true personal level?
    It is beyond the laws, rules, even beyond the thing called grace.

Walk In/Walk with is living practical faith that manifests the true nature of the human being -a manifestation of the sum-substance that is creation  (eternal heaven-earth) -seamlessly unified with Creator.

Isn't this supposed to be entire message and purpose of Christianity: To show, by example, that stasis of eternal living?

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I concur James.

Being a Christian is not about memorising scripture, then trying to live by it. It is about simply walking with God according to our good conscience, with God teaching us himself as Jesus said he would in John 6. Then we will live natural empowered lives.

Christianity as taught by the church is all about doctrines, each person's worth is determined by what they believe. But I'm learning again this week that Judaism is not a doctrinal religion, but is about overcoming evil with good, making the world better, striving towards greater holiness. These are the things by which God measures us, not by what doctrines we believe.

1. hookedhuntress profile image60
        hookedhuntressposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Disappearinghead  first  you said "Being a Christian is not about memorising scripture, then trying to live by it."

Then you immediately follow that with  making  a reference to scripture "John 6".

So which is it? Either we need the scriptures to live by or we don't?

I'm really not trying to argue with you but that is a major contradiction and it sounds as if you are walking contrary even to yourself.

If you don't think we need to know or memorize scripture then why would you even  reference it?

I do agree with what you said about doctrines.

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
          Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I thought I was perfectly clear. The provision of the reference was there as a support to my case. There's difference between using references to support an argument, and memorising scripture and constantly monitoring and checking ourselves against it to see if we think we measure up. Life in God is about freedom, and reliance upon him to teach ad train us.