jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)

Is this the level of intelligence of a theist

1. mischeviousme profile image59
    mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago

Some of the christian posters on this site, have a tendancy to call into question the intelligence of those that don't believe as they do... I'm returning the favor.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sight?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
        Jesus was a hippyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol I've lost count of the amount of times I have been told that I cannot understand basic things like the english language.

mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They like to point out grammar and spelling, as if that comprises the entirety of intelligence.

Hahahaha only I will know what you just corrected

lol At least I'm smart enough to catch it...

2. jonnycomelately profile image85
          jonnycomelatelyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My biggest concern is whether I'm in a Coma or a Comma!  Can someone please enlighten me in English?

Seriously for a moment, I am currently in Haiti.  Having witnessed some of the most difficult living conditions here, and with deepest respect for the experiences the folk have been through, I can fully understand the need for faith and religion in their lives.  Totally respected, although I don't need to take any of it on board myself.

I can understand the need for hope, but not faith and religion. I have no respect for religion, and there is no reason why I should have.

2. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 4 years ago

I live in glass house as far as errors in basic speeling and puntutation go. Don't take it to heart.

I'm a horrible speeler too, don't worry about it. I've seen mentally handicapped people capable of writing sonnets, I don't feel overly stupid when I make mistakes.

3. Eric Newland profile image61
      Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

Intelligence has its pitfalls. It can lead a person to the erroneous conclusion that they know something.

Exactly! Reasoning and rationallity, does not intelligence make.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

I forget the name of it, what is that theory about the less you know, the more you think you knowand vice versa?

1. Eric Newland profile image61
          Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't know. tongue I always figured it was just a saying that stood on its own.

But I'm more saying that very intelligent people can get caught up in their own intelligence and become amazingly close-minded. As soon as you know everything you stop learning.

I would think that the most intelligent people arrived at that level of intelligence by not being closed minded.

4. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 4 years ago

Just to get serius, though.

Most of the greatest minds in history have been religiously inclined and it is wrong for atheists or agnostics to imagine that religious belief is either crazy or intellectually incapacitating.

Times are changing, of course, and secularism is coming to dominate the main strands of thought. That is even more reason for atheists to respect religion as far as I am concerned.

It is more and more a matter of personal satisfaction and comfort (and life is a bitch) rather than one of those things that determines the fate of nations.

I am delighted my elderly mother takes comfort in her church and I don't want any of you cruel rationalists being unkind.

Lol. I know this plea from the heart will carry no weight but there you are.

I dont need to imagine it is crazy or intellectually incapacitating. I only need to discuss evolution with a creationist to see that it is in fact crazy and intellectually incapacitating when embraced so strongly.

I dont see any reason to respect religion and you did not provide one. Changing times is not a reason to respect religion.

Well, thats were the problem lies. People find solace and comfort in their beliefs but that still doesnt make them true. If someone is going to assert an unfounded belief as fact then it deserves to be challenged.

1. Eric Newland profile image61
          Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No worries about lack of vigilance on that front.

Now if certain individuals could just understand that challenging a posit does not predominate the need to be respectful.

2. pisean282311 profile image58
        pisean282311posted 4 years ago in reply to this

@will you are right ....most biggest thinker right from ancient thinkers of India , china to present day thinker have been religious ...but at same time if we form graph religion has evolved and would keep evolving .....it is never frozen on time and never dependent of one book...m glad that world is shifting from religious to non religious outlook and in 50 yrs time , people would take book not literally but as essence and vision of writer...

3. A Troubled Man profile image61
        A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's a rather misleading statement. The Origin of Species has only been around for about 150 years and everyone, including Darwin believed the universe was created by their version of a god.

working