jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (20 posts)

The creation of suffering

1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

We create our suffering through the attachment to events and perceptions, it is by desire that we remember or that we forget. Dwelling on the attachment creates the memory, choosing to remain in the memory, is a result of the desire to do so. It is a form of clinging, as it is with those that choose not to forget or to move on.

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thats true to some extent.

But theres a whole lot of suffering created by other people,and circumstances in general

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1

2. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps you need to move on. Stop forgetting. Start facing up to things.

Really?

Those starving babies in Africa really should man up, face their problems, and let it go

Nice

mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had never mentioned the current state of the world, I was talking about attachments and the creation of suffering. It's a lack of comprehension, compounding the confusion as to what this thread pertains to.

Yes i realize you are being philosophical as usual.

But people dont live in bubbles.the real world effects us too,not just our perceptions of things.

It's the attachment to events and perceptions, that create further suffering. As is the case with a robbery victim, they cease to trust certain groups of people and the event can eventualy lead to a massive disconnect from reality.

Yes.

But the origin of the suffering was caused by the robber.not the victim.

I can assure you that i comprehend what you are trying to get at.

But that line of thinking serves no real purpose in the lives of anyone.

Sure you can attempt to detach yourself and get off the wheel of karma.but then you are missing the entire point of living.

I've lived a long many lives, all within the compass of this one. I have many crowds, none that I truly fit in with of course. I've learned to observe others from an up close perspective and from a distance. It is in the realization that I too am capable of such behavior, that I am mindful of my own. This is also to say, how I will be affected by the events that I am subjected to and the perceptions there of.

Do you remember your past lives?

3. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Could you go back in time, you could explain that to the Jews being fed into the gas chambers or to the soldiers on the Bataan death march.  It would surely comfort them.

Even today, you might explain that to my (ex) neighbor who served America in Vietnam and to this day dives under the table on hearing a backfire or other loud noise.  It is surely because he chooses to dwell on the past events that causes this.

While it is true that we tend to forget the bad things in our life, some make such an impression and are such a part of what we are that they cannot be left behind in the dust of forgotten memories.  It certainly isn't a desire to retain those horrific memories that causes them to remain near the top of our consciousness.

2. VisionInfinity profile image59
    VisionInfinityposted 5 years ago

It is true to me that joy as well as suffering are self-made, in most cases they are a consequence of one's ideas about what brings about joy and suffering. There can be the case that the same thing can make one happy and another unhappy.

Thoughts of anger, sadness and violence, bring anger, sadness and violence. Thoughts of Joy, merriment and love, bring joy merriment and love. But you must have the polarity, for example; the idea of percieving the difference. One must understand how to suffer, before one can have knowledge of pleasure.

working