Why don't atheists teach their children about Jesus?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Since asking a person of faith why they would raise their children in the same faith seems to be a perfectly valid question to ask with an air of snobbish outrage, the inverse question must be equally valid.

So why don't you atheists teach your children about a God you don't believe in? And while we're at it, why did you breast feed? Or not breast feed? Or immunize? Or take them camping? Or feed them animal-based foods? Or tell them that love conquers all? Or that fairies paint the sky blue? Or tell them about the birds an the bees the very first time they asked where babies come from?

I demand that you defend every aspect of how you raise your own children because it's totally my business.

Make sure you put a lot of thought, research, and respect into your replies too, so it will be extra infuriating when I ignore everything you say and just respond with "lol."

Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're the pagen guy! LOL lol To be honest, I do teach my children about Jesus (the man, not the son of god myth) and Christianity, Islam, and Judism. I first have them learn about the ancient Greek and Eqyptian philosophies and beliefs in the ancient world which is very evident in the Bible. For instance, in the Book of Genesis, there's strong evidence that the world was believed to be flat, the sky is a huge canopy, and the earth was the center of the universe when it was written. I have them fully understand the Roman Empire and how they ruled in order to understand the occupied Jews point of view and how they relates to their stories. From looking at the "big picture" outside the Bible, one understands how the Bible is just a teaching aid and not to be taken literally - minus all the bigotry and death threats. They read not only the Biblical story of creation and flood story, but other creation and flood stories from other cultures around the world. By the way, they're nice stories. Of course the Big Bang makes better sense and since it was produced on a small scale in the lab. People don't need religion to figure out htat murder is wrong, they can figure that out by themselves.

3. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont have any children but I would happily teach them about any and every religion should they want to learn about it.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many atheists do teach their children about gods, they even teach them about the gods YOU yourself don't believe.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're on about.

Yes, it is your business to indoctrinate your children to believe in the same god you believe and to reject all other gods you don't believe, that is, if you actually even mention or talk about them. Why you would ever want to do such a thing is baffling.

I don't question that it's my business. My question is: Why is it YOURS (or anyone else's)?

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Indoctrinating children is a form of child abuse and others are concerned for the well being of children in general. There are many organizations that are concerned with children in general and they aren't the parents of those children.

Unfortunately, religion is taboo in the sense of anyone having the ability to do something about it, yet many other forms of child abuse aren't taboo and are dealt with.

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You guys who insist that  instilling a simple belief in God is abuse need to get a grip. Or, a life. I suppose it depends on what is motivating such an irrational obsession.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Yes, I understand believers wish to be free to abuse their children in that manner and wish everyone else would just leave them alone with their indoctrinations. These are probably the same believers who claim religions have never done harm to anyone.

1. profile image0

That is simply ridiculous. Which is why I'm not going to stoop to argue  against your asinine point.

+1

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

lol Of course, the real reason is that you're unable to argue it and would much rather stoop to emotionally charged responses.

1. profile image0

Again, that's ridiculous. How is pointing out the asinine nature of your post 'emotionally charged'? I don't really care one way or the other if you believe something silly. But, am I obligated to pretend your asinine beliefs warrant discussion?

5. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine did.  Also Buddha and Mohammed.

2. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 12 years ago

Duuude. OMG. LOL!

Really, though, point taken. I'm not religious, but I'm also not an atheist - and the term gnostic doesn't quite fit the bill as far as describing my beliefs, either. So, as a happily non-affiliated, uncategorized, and generally friendly to everyone chickadee, I will do my best not to condescendingly grill folks about bringing up their kids in any religion (or lack thereof). I say (without sarcasm, which I have to specify, because you may find that I am often kind of a - hopefully loveable - smart ass) that it's a good practice to live and let live in this arena.

In other words, I hear you. There are few things that have the ability to tick off a parent (yes, I am one) like snobbishly insinuating that they are raising their kids "wrong." If you love them and take care of them, you're doing a bang-up job, imho.

Thank you. I truly do appreciate that.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

Atheists generally don't breastfeed because that would be cannibalism.

You know, feeding the boob the boob.

lol.

1. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My word, your wit and wisdom leaves me breathless. lol Okay, I'm leaving. This WAS a nice thread. wink

2. Paul Wingert profile image61

That is the same thing said about Christians.

3. Eric Newland profile image60

lol

Wait, I mean
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6463164_f248.jpg

4. ElizaDoole profile image83
    ElizaDooleposted 12 years ago

Eric, rofl.
    Just saw this ... not that I'm wading in.
    I agree that perhaps more than one type of thinking needs to be taught to all.
    smile smile
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6479823_f248.jpg

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gosh you religious people are ignorant. You think that is what not believing in a god means?

No wonder your religion causes so much ill will.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

While that placard is silly, it invites an interesting subject of the 'something from nothing' misunderstandings many believers have. Laurence Krauss, a professor of physics has written a book on the subject that explains how nothing MUST produce something. Here's a little insight into his theory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

3. Paul Wingert profile image61

Bible Thumpers
      The idea that the universe was nothing and a bunch of nothing then God created the universe and Earth within 7 days and produced a Garden of Eden with a talking snake. Makes perfect sense.

5. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

My children are taught many beliefs. Christianity is my husbands faith and he teaches them that. I have given them book of mormans and give the the books the people give me that knock on my door. I make it very clear all people have different beliefs and that it is their right to choose what they wish. It is not my job to judge Christians for teaching their belief but I do wish everyone would teach their children that just because someone believes something different than us does not make them less of a person

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)