jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)

Why

1. Jerami profile image79
    Jeramiposted 5 years ago

Why is it that when we do what we are not supposed to do; we blame the person that told us not to do it for the trouble that we get into.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would expect only an idiot would do such a thing.

2. Shadesbreath profile image91
      Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nobody does that.

However, I'm guessing you may be trying to suggest that is what is happening when people point out how ridiculous some of the religious myths and doctrine are when viewed in the light of logic and reason.

If that is what you are trying to do, the comparison doesn't work rhetorically.

If my mother told me not to steal, and then I stole something and got caught; I would not blame my mother. Nor would you blame yours in the same situation. Nor would anyone else. That would be dumb, which is why nobody would.

On the other hand, if I steal and then you hold up an old book written in the Bronze Age and say, "God says don't steal," and then I say, "Uh, didn't your god create me as a sinner?" And you then say, "Don't blame god. He told you what you were not supposed to steal," then, you could twist that idea out of that scenario. You would, however, be injecting your belief in god onto me, and mistaking my ridicule of your belief system as me actually blaming your god, even though my point would make perfect sense logically.

Now, if you steal, and know you shouldn't, as a believer (assuming you are), then you aren't going to blame your god either. Because you have a ready out, if you are a Christian anyway, to say some prayers or do some Hail Mary's or whatever system you have set up by the rules to get out of doing wrong. So, no need to blame god at all.

And again, not saying that's what you are doing with this thread. Just seems like it given it's in this forum, and, well, I am bored and too lazy to work on my novel right now.

Jeramiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nobody does that.

However, I'm guessing you may be trying to suggest that is what is happening when people point out how ridiculous some of the religious myths and doctrine are when viewed in the light of logic and reason.
        ===  000   ---

me
        Yep that is kinda sorta not exactly as you expressed it what I was suggesting, but sorta not???

I've heard folks saying "YEP God is punishing you for doing such and such is why such and such happened to YA".
          God doesn't micro manage peoples lives like that any more than a farmer mocro manages the life of a tomato, causing a worm or bird to damage it.
          He harvests it and makes tomato juice out of some of them and puts the rest of them in baskets.  However ...  sometimes the farmer might thump a bug off or shoot a raccoon.

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Seems very much like the same concepts religions teach their followers, to always place the burden of responsibility on a third party, never actually taking responsibility for their own actions.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

And that is pretty much that. lol

so shall it be.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I get what you are asking jerami. We do attempt to transfer blame and rationalize. It's difficult for anyone to take full responsibility for their actions and their part of the problem.

I don't think God dinit

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't think God did what?

punished me for doing what I was told not to do.

Not in this life anyway

1. profile image0

Did God tell you not to do something?

Well it depends on what Ya mean by him telling me.

the 10 commandments did say don't fornicate. And I did.

did it a bunch of times until it changed my future life experiences.

Edit  ,,,  some would say that God allowed her to get pregnant.

Must say that turned into one of my best blessings.

1. profile image0

I don't remember that one from Sunday schools. Which one of the commandments was that one?

I didn't understand it either in sunday school  much later I did though.

It quit raining  so I gotta go build a fire.  cook some pork.

1. profile image0

You can't go. What does that mean? Are you saying there is a coded message in the ten commandments saying don't fornicate? What constitutes fornication anyway? Sex without wanting a baby? Sex just for fun? All sex? You've piqued my interest on this one.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
          Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Took the cookie from the cookie jar?

1. profile image0

Well, if he's right I guess I'm bound for hell. Although I'm pretty sure that was my Mom giving the orders. Maybe I'm safe after all.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And that's true, too. smile

4. Sparklea profile image75
    Sparkleaposted 5 years ago

I think human nature can tend to take over when we do what we are not supposed to do.  Years ago a 16 year old teen backed out of his driveway (friends in the car) right in front of me.  He never looked to see if a car was coming.  I totaled my car, could not miss hitting him.  He said to the police, "IF THAT LADY HAD ONLY BEEN WATCHING...."

He blamed me.  I did feel compassion.  It was his first day with his NEW license...he had just gotten it!  However, it was clearly his fault, and the police told him so. 

It is so EASY to place BLAME on someone when we are wrong.  I've done it.  But it is merely an excuse to make me feel better.  We would rather blame someone than take responsibility for screwing up.  Blessings, Sparklea

5. Jerami profile image79
    Jeramiposted 5 years ago

Emile R

You can't go. What does that mean? Are you saying there is a coded message in the ten commandments saying don't fornicate?

==  --

I thought there was?  Maybe it was just talking about me or to me?
    ================================================= - =
      What constitutes fornication anyway? Sex without wanting a baby? Sex just for fun? All sex? You've piqued my interest on this one.
    = - = -

Well it is hard to explain it over the internet.
       "Hay little girl do Ya want some BBQ "...   I'll have TA show YA,  (LOL)

1. profile image0

I love me a good barbecue, but I don't know. You're starting to make me a little nervous. How wild are you jerami?

How wild do Ya want me to be??

Just kidding   Probably not wild enough.  Too much wild or I hurt myself.

So I guess I'm just right on the wild side.

Steaks are just about ready

working