Is "Free Will" possible in Christianity?

1. A Thousand Words profile image81
    A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago

One day, there was God.

God created man.

Then God said to man,

"A & B are your choices.

IF you choose A, you will live forever and be happy with me.

IF you choose B, you will die (either finitely or Eternal Torment style)

But, I'm not forcing you to choose A. I want you to choose A for yourself, and I want your "sincere" adoration and affections. Even if you don't want to choose A, B's your only other option, and you know the "consequences," so it'd probably be a good idea to choose A. I 'love' you and want you to make that decision on your own .

But I stand firm on the consequences for going route B."

Is this actually "free" will?

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You didn't give all the choices.

What about C where you can have sex with 72 virgins.

2. 59
    jklecknerposted 4 years ago

This is a submitted free will. It is not cruelty. It is definition. It is purpose. Have you ever seen Monty Python's Flying Circus routine: "Ministry of Silly Walks" There was a man who came into the office of the Ministry and said that he thought of a new style of silly walking. Then he demonstrated. His demonstration was bland, uninteresting, and mechanical. This is the bound man. He is set in his ways, living under pressure of addiction, habit, etc. He was denied his claim to a silly walk because it wasn't unique.

Yes. Free will is possible in Christianity. I am an Apostolic Pentecostal and people from the outside who know nothing of what I believe see this as a life of conformity and not one of freedom. I have my unique will. I have a unique method of living life. I have a "Silly walk." It's one I choose. I love living life. I love breathing. I don't need bound by trends, cigarettes, alcohol, dope, etc. I am living life truly free.