jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Buddha's speaks of the "highest religion"- its essence

1. 70
    paarsurreyposted 4 years ago

Buddha says: “Not only by discipline and vows, not only by much learning, do I earn the happiness of release which no worldling* can know. Bhikkhu, be not confident as long as thou hast not attained the extinction of thirst. The extinction of evil desire is the highest religion”. Verse- 48: Chapter – 48:THE DHAMMAPADA.

*One who is absorbed by worldly pursuits and pleasures.

Paarsurrey: Atheism/Agnosticism/Skepticism do not promote extinction of evil desire from the self rather they promote it. Hence, they don’t belong to Buddha and Buddha does not belong to them.

1. janesix profile image72
      janesixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How exactly does atheism or skeptisism promote evil desire in the self?

2. aka-dj profile image80
    aka-djposted 4 years ago

Are you becoming Buddhist now?

Islam is not your preferred faith any more?

Beware!! They'll get you for that! hmm

1. 70
      paarsurreyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No; I am not becoming a Buddhist. I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim as before. I defend Buddha as I defend Jesus.

Christians don't follow Jesus when they talk of Trinity; the same way when the Buddhists or Buddhism says that Buddha did not believe in the Creator God; when they say it they are totally wrong.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Think the problem is not "worldly pursuits and pleasures", but rather the source of the decision making, as decided by the true self, or by influence of others. I am a guru so I do what I want. I am a guru so I do what people expect a guru to do.