jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

John 3:16 creates denial

1. mischeviousme profile image59
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

"For God so loved the world, he sent his only begotten son, that who soever believes in him shall have everlasting life".

I'll ask this question twice, as to accentuate my meaning.

If Jesus was God's only son, what the hell are the rest of us doing here? A creation, is a creation, is a creation and it always comes from it's source or it's beginning...

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's simple Jesus is God, the second person in the trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Jesus and the Father both took part in creation. God said: "Let "US" create man in 'Our' image."  God did not say I'm going to create a man in my image.

When Jesus became flesh he became a creation of God in the flesh to live and experience as man did, without Godly powers at all.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The key word is begotten not created. That's the difference.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

OK. You do understand the meaning of the word 'begotten'? I think that's the clue to the answer to your dilemma.

mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Were we all not begat from the same father? Did he not also create the dust from which we came?

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not in the same context as John 3:16.  You referenced creation in your opening post and your reply to me. I guess you simply don't understand. Christ, by  most Christian lore, is of the same essence as God. He wasn't created. Man was.

If it is by emaculate conception or by a craftsman, it is very much a creation of the designer. Jesus, if of mother and father, would also have been the creation of a moment. This to say that the parents themselve's are responsible. At the same time, if it is a concept(even if by a higher mind), it is a creation of that mind. So it is, without a doubt, a part of it's maker, as we should all be considered. If one chooses to believe otherwise, then that is the prerogative of the recantor.

1. Eric Newland profile image61
            Eric Newlandposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Another way to put it:

According to Christian belief, Christ has always been, and is part of God (the latest version of the Credo uses the term "consubstantial"). They are inseparable, and one did not come before the other.

Jesus, the earthly form of Christ, was created at the time of his virgin conception.

The Greek μονογενῆ, monogenes, which is the word used in John 3:16 can mean one-of-a-kind or firstborn (it is this single word that is usually translated into the phrase "only begotten"), but it is also understood to have a special meaning when used in reference to Christ.

Again... Christ is the consciousness, Jesus was the man. The idea for me, is that he had reached a level of understanding about the world at large. So then, it is easy to say that jesus was of a christ mind. Let go of the idea of his death and live to gain a mind as such.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
                couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's how I see it. The Christ mind is what the Bible tries to teach us. We're all inseparable from each other and part of the greater conciousness which many call God.

The idea that there is one higher than another is, IMO, false. The idea of the Trinity is valid when one accepts it as a metaphor for the way we should live.

3. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 5 years ago

*yawn*

4. profile image60
    PADDY1960posted 5 years ago

If you could see this scripture in a spiritual sense that GOD sent his only begotten son which he created in the form of a spirit which was sent to Mary. So there is a different from GOD spirit made and man sperm made. Jesus was a sacrice for the sins of men.  TO give us a spiritfill life that is everlasting.

working