jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Child Marriage.... Its, menace.. spread the word

1. rahul0324 profile image82
    rahul0324posted 4 years ago

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/c … fE354j#_=_

A girl has stood up to it.. so should we

1. coffeegginmyrice profile image86
      coffeegginmyriceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

She was being courageous and bravely faced what was right for her own sake. She is to be truly admired.  Thanks for sharing the good news, Rahul!

2. Deborah Brooks profile image39
      Deborah Brooksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

good for her. I have no concept of making my children marry so young.. I am so happy she stood up and said no..she is brave..

3. ananceleste profile image81
      anancelesteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is the beginning of a new era in this kind of "tradition". For most westerns, including myself is almost surreal that this practice is still viable in many countries. 

We have come a long way. Now I wonder, What is next?

4. 0
      Dr Cilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The bravery, courage and honor medal, this young lady deserves.  I hope many others will follow, to stand up for their rights also.  Noone should be forced to marry someone they do not love or   know anything about.  Thanks for sharing.

2. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

Wow... if I was in their positions, I don't think I would have such courage.

To me, this article really affirms the fact that education is SO important in changing a lot of these types of things.

1. glmclendon profile image61
      glmclendonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Shanna1, I think you are right. Without education you do not know your options.

3. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

Kids are vulnerable and many can't stand up to the swines who take advantage of them. The government in India should make/have a law against it. Maybe, Jail them. That will be a good start.

It's good you are raising awareness.

1. rahul0324 profile image82
      rahul0324posted 4 years ago in reply to this

In India here! Child marriage is still a custom... while the motive is mostly money... some believe it to be religious... the fanatics off course.. the law has been made.. but the executive council does not hover!!

this girl has rattled the cages.. and yes education has made  it possible

4. pearlmacb profile image77
    pearlmacbposted 4 years ago

Power to her so courageous! and may this be the beginning of hundreds, breaking free from this horrific crime! I too agree education has proven to be the answer. 

Good on you for creating this thread!

5. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 4 years ago

Good for her! The recent number of child brides fighting their fate (Nujood Ali being another famous example) is very heartening.

I thought some of you might enjoy this inspiring article about the young women of Ethiopia fighting back against bride kidnapping and FGM, which is common there and compounds the horror even more:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world … 22263.html