jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)

What would you describe as Religious Extremism?

1. Matthew Kirk profile image88
    Matthew Kirkposted 4 years ago

I have seen a lot of what I would call religious extremism on hubpages since joining around a month or two ago. Creationists, evangelists, fanatics; mainly these guys seem to be christian. Many are not what I would call extremists and have quite moderate views. What would you describe as religious extemism?

1. vector7 profile image61
      vector7posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excluding the opposite side of the coin mister Kirk?

I see proof of God in life-long devotion to denial and spending all of one's time conversing about religion when claiming it to be a fairy tale.

In comparison, you will not catch me hanging around the looney bin denying people's claims that they are 10 different people in one.

Why is that? Because it is not important to me.

Why then, do non-Christians and atheists bother?

I suppose I'll leave that inquiry open as those with a desire to execute clear reasoning should come to an accurate conclusion fairly quickly.

smile

Matthew Kirkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I bother because I see religious fanaticism as dangerous. This was not a personal attack on you vector07.

That is a the thing about many zealots; they feel it is a personal attack on them, they feel cornered...

1. Jerami profile image78
          Jeramiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I see any kind of fanaticism as dangerous.
          I see fanaticism of any sort as a form of self indused blindness.
          Being so focused on one thing so intently that everything else fades away into the darkness. 
          We all do it to some degree.

2. vector7 profile image61

lol

You havent threatened me Kirk.

Thanks though.

smile

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
        Jesus was a hippyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I lost count the amount of times people have explained why non religious discuss christianity. At first I thought you were being pedantic but then I realised you were Russian.

smile

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I suppose I would consider praying while skateboarding pretty extreme

3. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's all 3D.

Delusion, dishonesty and delivery and how low one stoops to meet them.

4. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Religion and personal idealism are insane when mixed, a bane on society, a danger to the many and the one. It's hard to tell if a person is capable of reaching a certain level of menace, because they mask their agendas with religion. It's been done time and again throughout ancient and modern history...

Is it not time to give up the old ways, so people can't use it as a weapon?

When there are weapons of war and a way to control and fuel the troops, will there not be bloodshed?

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I suppose I would define it as a person, or group, who actively pursues an agenda of forcing others to live by their religious convictions.

Freedom of speech allows us all to voice an opinion. No one has the right to dictate, legislate or in any other way force that opinion to become another person's way of life. To attempt that would be extremism.

3. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

I'm floored that no one has made the inevitable "any religion" wisecrack yet. Some of our friendlier atheist posters must have slept in today.

Its early days yet, Friday afternoon... wait till saturday morning!

2. 0
      Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your post is a prime example of religious extremism. Been indoctrinated lately???

Just kidding. You sounded as if you missed the friendlier atheists. I thought I'd fill the void.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
        Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Needs more catchphrases.

1. 0
          Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How intellectually dishonest of you to suggest that.

Innit Jeebus majuk wot meks u say dat? 

That's why your religion causes conflict.

lol lol <<--- Coveted double laughing faces award.

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

I would describe religious extremism as strapping a bomb to yourself with the intention of committing suicide and taking as many others with you as you possibly can.

1. vector7 profile image61

Thank you for representing reality.

It refreshing to see some not so common, common sense.

smile

2. Matthew Kirk profile image88

What about burning the religious texts of other 'non-desireable' religions? Surely that is religious extremism in its self?

5. jacharless profile image79
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

Churches, Temples, Laboratories, Museums, Technology, Particle Accelerators, Space Exploration, Medicine, Belief in Demons, Hell, Death, Self, Afterlife, Television, Economics, Gene Splicing, WMD's, Exorcisms, Little Green Men, Conspiracy Theories, Advertising, etc and the applications of said doctrines.

James.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
      Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Strangely, you kind of have a point.

But sadly; very few others understood it.

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
          Mark Knowlesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I understood it Jerami. But - I don't agree.

I do understand why you religious guys need to call any other thoughts and approaches religions as well. It makes yours seem less unreasonable.

Unfortunately - it just causes conflict and - you don't get to include your unreasonableness alongside my reason.

I am sorry that it causes so much conflict that I have pease within my self and towards all others.

until they hit me on the toe with a hammer or other such BS.

2. jacharless profile image79
        jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Although generalized as strictly theistic, anything religious implies strong devotion toward, acute obsession, a systematic style or ritual application, methodology used to form an individual practice, lifestyle; collective social archetype, self-controlled environment or socially-controlled environment.

James.

6. Jerami profile image78
    Jeramiposted 4 years ago

Ha Mark ....   I will give you this much ...

IF there is a God ? ,,,   His representives ain't been doing such a good job of doing his bidding!

Whatcha think?

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I keep telling them this is what made me decide there ain't one in the first place.

So - yeah - we agree for once. big_smile

7. tussin profile image60
    tussinposted 4 years ago

A religious extremist is someone who cannot grasp the fact that HubPages is not a religion forum, someone who compulsively starts threads about their religious beliefs and gets riled up if anyone disagrees with them.  We all know the usual suspects around here.  Where is the eye-rolling smiley?

working