The Human Soul....why IT matters

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (42 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image61
    A.Villarasaposted 11 years ago

A lot of very vocal hubbers believe that the soul( human and other  animate entities) do not exist. They  are quite adamant in their perception that like the existence of God, the existence of  the soul is a man made fantasy, in the level of fairies, unicorns, etc..

Other hubbers do believe in the existence of the Human soul, but they posit that when a  human dies, his soul dies as well.....thus there is no existence in the hereafter.

Still others believe that not only does the soul exists, but it continues to exist beyond the earthly existence of the human that once possesed IT.

One could conceptualize  that  the ENERGY that  initiated the process of creation and evolution, continues  to breath life into  the SPACE  that sorrounds  all the animate entities that have and will continue to exist into the end of TIME. The equation that undergirds all existence is the energy vis-a-vis SPACE/TIME continuum. I posit that the soul is the manifestation of that equation, because it is the soul, specifically our HUMAN SOUL, that allows us to aspire for a purer level of existence... for a higher level of consciousness.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Humans may aspire to a higher level of consciousness, but it seems to me that all animated matter has to contain the elements that we traditionally equate to the soul. I would think the difference lies more in the form of the matter it is presently animating, than much of a difference in the substance itself.

A.Villarasaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Emile:
        It is my ardent perception that every animate entities on earth and anywhere else in the universe, at the time of their conception,  is given part of that Energy i.e. a soul, that initiated the process of creation and evolution. The Human Soul is unique in that it has allowed  him to progress to his current niche in the natural world on earth. Additionally, his soul has allowed him to go above (supra-natural) nature, making his the only specie capable of controlling nature( including his baser animal instincts), thus allowing him to take part in the CREATIVE process. Episodically, Man's  EGO has  overcome  the harmonizing role of the soul, thus the destructive forces that his  EGO has wrought upon himself and those other animate entities that share his earthly world.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a very interesting idea. Of course if you want anyone to take it as a fact then you will need to demonstrate your claim to be true.

If you can't do that then your claim has as much credence as Santa or the Bogeyman.

@hippy:

Of course I gtake it as a fact that I have a soul...if you take it as a fact that you don't have a soul, that I am crtainly not going to disabuse you from that belief.

Now do I need to demonstrate to you or other non-believers, the verity of the Human Soul...Of course not.

Now about Santa and the bogeyman... you will have to ask the folks who believe in them.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
          Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I dont take it as a fact that there is or isn't a soul. There is no evidence either way.

If you are going to claim a fact then I am afraid you are going to HAVE to provide evidence for that claim.

@hippy:

If you are asking for some tangible, physically defined evidence that  souls exist....then good luck with that.

Would humans, having evolved with brains that  has allowed him to conceive concepts, perceive perceptions, then look for the evidence somewhere else? Would his intuition and inate instincts be able to help him search for the evidence? ABSOLUTELY.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I posit that the soul aspires to a lower level of existence and experience, otherwise what is the sense in my being here.

@knolyourself:
      You might be looking at this issue on the wrong end of the telescope, but I must admit you just posited a very interesting idea....one that deserves a forum all its own.

2. A.Villarasa profile image61

@Knolyourself:
      On further thought, your idea truly resonates in the narrative of  the Son of God becoming Human, if for no other reason than to give us his fellow humans insight into how they should live their earthly life as detailed in His sermon on the mount.

3. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1   
      Knowing that it is only for a short break from being on the higher plane.
      It never wanted to have to stay here ... that would be hell on earth. LOL

@Jerami:
        Hell on earth happens everytime human EGO overcomes then overides the conscientiously consecrating and conforming role of the Soul on human affairs.

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Conforming role? You're joking right?

@cagsil:
            nope not joking....what I meant by conforming is harmonizing

Interesting.

2. A.Villarasa profile image61

Harmonizing just does not jive rhythmically with consecrating......

You don't need to go any further in your explanation.

3. knolyourself profile image61

That's an interesting take I would not have thought of. I think the idea is to be it, and
    not emulate what is external, which is always window shopping.

4. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 11 years ago

What if I haven't read the sermon on the mount? Do I still know how to live or do I live misguided? My soul is something deeper than giving me instructions on how to live my life. Its my whole being, my laughter, my sadness, my inward beauty, my passion.

@Leaderofmany:

The Sermon on the Mount has been interpreted and re-interpreted by so many peolple , including  scholarly saints as well as  scowly scoundrels. My personal take on it is that , as with any or all of the text in the Old and New Testament, common sense applies, i.e. if a passage could and should not be interpreted literally, then it could and should be interpreted metaphorically. Experts on the Holy Book may disagree on what passages could and should be interpreted literally/metaphorically, but my common sense approach to this conundrum is to treat the Sermon on the Mount as insights/guideposts not instructions or commands on how to live a life worth living.

At the end of the day, how I  lived  my  life is a matter solely between me and my Creator.

2. profile image30
      puellaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

the soul is precisely the ethics engine, constantly advising about truthfullness in our right-from-wrong choices/asumptions...If soul is sluggish it means its carrier is more asleep than awake...some sort of beta versus alfa waves of the sleeping time; so no, the soul is not your sadness, the sadness is a consequence of not listening to your soul and act mistakingly;; the souls is nt either your happiness, as happiness is that fulfilling sense we get only when we knowingly live in the presence of God and God is present in our daily life
      As for interpreting the Bible, we need really a scientific approach to the contents, yep, scientific... When you read stories to kids from the classics, those stories are full of impossible charactrs, yet we manage to ascertain the morals of them, then why be SO picky and distrustful of the Bible teachings??? It is to be interpreted mostly metaphorically as it was written at the time and for readers not illustrated or lost in translations...It is the same way a good teacher introduces layered concepts about a unique topic: by comparison, by extrapolation, by confronting opposites, by eliminating the unimportant, by reductio, etc...,...that's how formal math  elaborates on intrinsically complex principles... I find the Bible a most interesting book where one can find answers to understand most of our struggles and be comforted by the assurance that He will be there for whoever call upon Him and asks...  "ask and you will receive". Even when the Old testament is full of an irate God, even there, you can see that It is a loving God betrayed by beloved ones, just like an earthly commoner will get mad at his child when he/she won't follow the insructions, given for his/her own good.
      And as for the privacy of the matter of whose business it is the way each of us lives our life, yes it is a matter of God and you, but unfortunately 0r fortunately (?) each of us  will have to have a LOT of the rest of who crossed your pathways on earth and a record of each encounter is kept on how each acted upon the others...and those who were the good samaritans, and those who were compassionate, etc etc EVEN if they were not Xtians, they will enjoy ethernal life...(see JOB on Old Testament)
      So I guess thats how a 'wired' economy started on winkwink what one does affects the rest, but specially, oneself...and we certainly do not want to act against ourselves, do we? matter of privacy or of just humanity...let's see

5. knolyourself profile image61

Born already what you naturally are. Essentially my core is not much different than when I was ten.
    But I know infinitly more about the condition here. We get lost with everybody telling us what to do and how to think.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

That is why it might be nice if the soul existed, not proof that it does.

It would be nice if unicorns existed too.  But reality is not obliged to be nice.

@Psycheskinner:

The reality of the existence of the Human Soul  does not  necessarily  beg for  IT  to be materially perceived. How does one prove the existence of the human soul, except to say that if IT does not exist, would we act differently in the course of our daily existence.. Of course we would. If gravity (another non-material entity, like the Human Soul) does not exist, would one be more amenable to jumping off a high building, and expecting not to die? Of course we would. But we know that the Soul exist in the same way that gravity exist... because without them we would behave differently.

The existence of unicorns on the other hand fits nicely in the narrative of human creativity... a creativity that we might not otherwise manifest  if we did not possess a soul.... or if the soul does not possess us.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

More nonsense. How would be behave differently? We are animals. We behave as our evolution dictates.

@MK:
          Does your evolutionary pathway dictates that you respond to my posts by calling them nonsense?
          I need your debating arguments...not your debasing rants.

I call them nonsense because they make no sense. I have no argument against majik other than that is makes no sense.

You say - there must be a soul other wise we would behave differently - I ask how - you attack me for pointing out that you are speaking things that make no sense.

Now answer the question if you are actually looking to debate instead of preach your nonsense.

@MK:

Ranting is for the ranters, and preaching is for the preachers. And I am neither.

What you call  majikal nonsense, makes perfect perceptual  sense to me, and to a billion other folks, as of last counting.

I think it would probably help if you started using English properly. There is no such thing as perceptual sense.

What you mean is - you believe something.

It does not make any sense, and I don't really care how many other people need to believe in majik - that does not affect the sense/no sense discussion.

What you say is nonsense, and you are ranting and preaching. I simply reject your statements and ask you to back them up with facts.

As you cannot do that and are not prepared to be honest and admit you have an irrational belief based on nothing but personal needs and "feelings," - we will always be at odds.

If you simply held that belief and did not need to convince others that you were making sense - we would not even be discussing it.

Does that make sense?

@MK:

I certainly did not write my intitial post to convince you and others of anything.... and if you think that I am hubbing to convince you  and your ilks of anything..then you are all seriously deluded. My beliefs might be irrational to you, but then again why did you and your cohorts rant that  they are irrational, except for you to satisfy your narcissistic  need to be noticed, and  to feel being "attacked"  and then whine about it.

At least you admit they are just beliefs. No sense involved. Cohorts? Oh you mean rational thinkers? OK - thanks I guess.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This doesn't really address my point that you really haven't said anything supporting that the soul does exist.  For the very reason that there is no obvious way a soulled versus soulless person would differ.

So even begin to do what your subject line says, we would have to first agree how the souls existence could be measured. To make an argument one must at the very least determine what would constitute proof and them present putative evidence.

And unicorns are not a creative act,  but a miscommunication between continents dating from the era of bestiaries.  Which just just goes to show you that what is intuitive is not always true.

@Psycheskinner:

Do I have any quantifiable/irrefutable  evidence to support my contention that the human soul exist? Of course not. I am relying  solely on my intuitive/instinctual  perception that the SOUL exist.

I am aware of course that some hubbers do not share the same view... and in  the process of denying their soul-less nature, some would go to the extent of  saying that  their existence is  no more different than that of  other animate entities (rats, cockroaches, slugs etc.)

This I think is nihilism pure and simple.... that emanates from two EGO driven belief systems:. (1) Objectivism, which flatlty says that anything not perceived objectively by our 5 physical senses, do not exist, (2) Reductionism which posits that any physical object must be reduced to its most basic  single component.

Wherever and whenever the concept of unicorns started is not as important, as the fact that whoever started the concept, sure had a very vivid imagination. As the great creative conceptualist, Salvador Dali, would say, intellect without imagination is like a bird without wings. I am of course referencing the extinction of  Raphus Cucullatus, a flightless bird that  once roamed the forest of an island somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

7. knolyourself profile image61

How could one have a real physical life if the Soul was a proven entity?

8. knolyourself profile image61

Everything is everything.

9. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

There is entity above and beyond us, and we, caught in the nature of the universe, are connected to everything in it. This is suggestive of the Gaia concept of the Greeks and the concept of Manitou found among the native people of North America.

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

So basically believing in the soul matters to people who believe in the soul.  This is hardly surprising.

@psycheskinner:
      I could say the same thing about non_believers.

11. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

Totally impressed, A.V.. Totally impressed

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)