How do you perceive god, (or not perceive god?)

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Eugene Hardy profile image60
    Eugene Hardyposted 11 years ago

Just curious about how others see God, (or NOT see God).

Personally, I believe there is some kind of supreme being, but that god does not particularly care how anyone or all of humanity sees this deity. 

And does not have any set rules about how to live life, or existence....

1. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not believe in God. If I did I would see him as cruel and unkind.

1. jacharless profile image75
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You would see Him as cruel, unkind, based on what?
        The mistranslated | preached Judeo-Christian perspective, or just in general?

Eugene Hardyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, what's wrong with peeples' perception?

Why isn't it possible for perception to be right for her?

2. peeples profile image92

@jach just in general. Look at our world and what happens. There is far too much pain in this world to believe that if he did exist he would be a nice or kind being. Thanks Eugene, To each his own.

My remark was in kind, not malicious. I have always found it odd that most people perceive a G/god as solely kind and good, meaning no adversity nor discipline involved. I mean, in an Engels, Aquarian -even a Epicurean/Democritis Utopia, this concept is well known. I would go so far as to state within the Judeo-Christian, Hindi, Buddhist and Muslim utopias as well.

We view 'natural' changes and ask, "Why would a G/god do such a thing if He truly 'loved' his creations", yes? So, in our minds, we perceive a G/god as a softy. Yet, within every animal, plant, as well as the universe around, and even the human species -regardless the tenet, we note authority, reprimand and discipline, power to extremes unimaginable, inconceivable yes? So, why would anyone assume a G/god, who designed all of these things would be any different?

Apart from nature itself, what man has made which causes much destruction cannot be blamed on a G/god either. Sure, it satisfies justification and deflection of personal responsibility {including passive, aggressive or passive-aggressive} and gives way to increased measures to humans to carry out their objectives, both large and small. A mother cannot be blamed for her sons rage or daughters neglect? Einstein's father cannot be blamed for his sons creation of the greatest destructive weapon known to man.

80% of the torrent on this planet is man~made. One tsunami that wiped out 250k people pails in comparison to the multi-millions of humans, countless insects, animals, plants and natural 'resources' destroyed or manipulated by the hand of man...

On the altruistic side, should a G/god intervene and stop the madness? One could only pray for such a thing, if they had a ounce of morality in them. And according to some, that prayer will be answered, while others say it falls on deaf ears. In the meantime, Creator is blamed for permitting humans to exercise their free will. The alternative is the Utopian Mushroom Field, which -believe it or not- is what nearly all humans are striving for...

James.

1. peeples profile image92

I believe parts of what you say are logical  but the one thing I think many who believe in god seem to never mention is the children of the world. They do not have control yet, they can not protect themselves, yet if there is a god he does not protect them. I guess I just don't understand why an all powerful being would allow it's creations to destroy each other in an attempt to give "free will". It seems something would have been programed in us to only allow "free will" if it didn't hurt others or the wonderful planet. I am one who will never understand though.

I think you and I share that commonality, especially with regards to children. Daily, even in my sons pre-k relationships, his peers suffer needlessly at the hands of neglect, anger, economics, social status, etc.

Around the world, millions die due to a lack of the basic necessities like food, fresh water and herbs to keep their bodies strong. I could easily be angry at Creator, but after reading the report last year, that enough food was grown to feed the world-over. Instead nearly a third was fed to cattle and the rest either wasted or left to rot in the field, because of 'economic' ideologies. Meanwhile, man continues to fill up his machines with liquid fossils and continue his quest of ---.

Interesting, you mention free will, and how something was programmed into humans to allow ONLY free will. In fact, several approaches agree -including some sciences. My take defines this as pre-Adamic Inception. A stasis prior to mans self-indulgence {the enslavement to his own thoughts; knowledge}. Thoughts programmed into him, yet not controlling him. The brain merely processing information and not dictating the action or outcome. A creation with universal power, beyond the scope of reasoning/choice.

Like you, I came to the stumping point about this. I understand with power comes great responsibility. So the question in me has always been: why the allowance of irresponsibility to begin with. Why even tell humans about choice {knowledge within} ...

And after years of study, philosophical, theistic and scientific; viewing the beauty and power of sub-atomic "music", experiencing that thing theists crow about but haven't learned, still ask that same question.

James.

2. Eugene Hardy profile image60

You're welcomed.

I like to think we can throw in our perceptions into the pot, like a pot luck party, or a bring your own drink affair, and have everyone get along. 

And to be honest, I don't like what I've been seeing, atheists and Christians on forums putting each other down, whether in just or for real.  I for one can not agree with either group, and I certainly can not go around tellin' folks that my way is better, or that it is the one to follow, because each of us are individuals with differing experiences and perceptions.

And there is far too much pain and suffering, there are too many dreams being crushed under foot, so it is OK to ask what kind of god would allow all the crap to happen.  The thing is though, that all of us are going to come away with different answers to that question....

2. Ruben Rivera profile image60
        Ruben Riveraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're talking about mankind

2. Ruben Rivera profile image60

God is part of me, I am part of God,  GOD IS EVERYTHING.

I can agree with you there as far as that goes, but it appears that there is a diverse opinion as to how one should practice that knowledge.

For instance, I find that there is no reason why spiritual people could not accept atheism and agnosticism just let this group of people be.

Isn't spiritualism an individual experience?

1. Ruben Rivera profile image60

I can accept atheism, agnostism.  That is their belief.  My belief is that God is in everything therefore I am part of God.  Not a punishing or al merciful God, no religion dogma at all.  I'm here to experience and base on my needs I ask an I shall recieve, in fact I have tried it and it works wonders when I've done it consciously.

Believe it or not, that's cool with me.

And, I used to be an atheist.

For myself, I think of god as the ultimate practical joker, despite the divine cruelty.  When I look at it that way, my existence is rather funny....

3. gregb4hope profile image69
    gregb4hopeposted 11 years ago

I do not believe that things just happen. I see the planet Mars and then look at planet Venus and wonder how did Earth possess such a wealth of life and beauty and not by man but for him.  How did creation come to be in all it's many forms and then man and woman.  I know there is a supreme being and He plans and always has. He also gives us what we want for a season and for 100 percent of us it's the use my will. My existence appears to be for the opportunity to know God's will  but the problem is it only comes on God's terms. So we drift as molecules in space using our will power  yet not having any real power to enforce it or sustain it for it dies when we do.   

God is quite gracious in allowing this and that is where He is often misinterpreted by our definition.  I perceive He is very much present....And without Him the eco system of this earth would collapse and we with it. The ozone layer that circles the earth was put up there by Man. However, it is Man's industrialization that's putting holes in it. Who put it there and what was it's purpose?

4. Eugene Hardy profile image60

First, we only know about life in just this one solar system, and the way I hear it, there are like millions of other systems out there in the universe.  Then there are other kinds of life 'out there' that we just may not know about....

And, I'm inclined to believe that God does not give us everything we want....

But that's my perception.

5. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

What G/god?

6. gregb4hope profile image69
    gregb4hopeposted 11 years ago

His grace allows you to get what you want  through your use of free will. You are free for a season in this life cycle to do what you want provided other men don't get in the way.  As we see around the world men with their own laws often do restrict each others free will.  Perhaps God made the wrong choice using Grace and knowing our use of  free will (naturally selfish and destructive) should have ended Project Man in the Garden of Eden with death at the point of the crime. Instead God allowed Adam to live for  936 years which it is written a thousand years is as a day unto the Lord. 

It is as much our duty to protect our children and yes we fail also but children are subject to the fallen world as well. The Bible does reveal and end to these things such as death, sickness etc....see last 2 chapters of Revelations.  The earth is under a curse biblically speaking but it will be lifted.  God says the "whole earth groaneth" while he allows Man to be fruitful and multiply and to take dominion over the earth.  i suppose God is just being truthful about our fallen state as a created being.  If we don't want to believe our beginning we certainly won't be able to interpret the time of our ending.
    It amazes me how God continues to have the Bible before all mankind more so than any other book and yet consider much of it heresy or a myth. Obviously God wants you to know a few things but who is really blinding who? Is it unbelief and doubt.........If God really didn't care, I don't think He would have went through all the meticulous work and effort of keeping His Story before even this modern age. It ought to count for something!!

7. profile image0
    erickcbposted 11 years ago

There is so much that has to go into answering this question for there are many ways to explain each and every happening in all of creation. "Where was God when... "would be the appropriate question to begin asking in each and every moment of every day. Where was God when the Jews were slaughtered? Where was God when my neighbor's daughter was abducted in the night, raped, and killed? Where is God today when millions, or maybe even billions of people are without proper nourishment? It is funny how the question of God comes up in the darkest of times... Maybe we all realize we ALL are in dark times? Many people pretend however.. but that is another story.. The economies around the world falling.. War continues, as well as genocide, freak natural disasters wipe out thousands of families and ways of life.. Questioning God, is a predictable event in such times.. I have noticed myself how many forums here on HubPages are solely directed at discussing religion. Facebook is teeming with people talking about end times and Illumanati.. All these things beg the question.. Where is God in all of this? Do we think of God when we are joyful? Some people attribute their highs to God's work... Getting that promotion. Having a prayer answered. People overcoming incredible odds. Yes, i admit great things happen around the world everyday too. Babies take their first steps, young people graduate, families come together and bond.. New loves forged... There is much happening in every, EVERY single moment's passing. Where is God in all of this? Here is my explanation for God..

First, God, Allah, Brahman..etc..as most people know is a character from the Bible, or their religious text. Generally, It is a higher power, or entity or what have you with consciousness like ours. Meaning it is self aware, but however, unlike us it is omnipotent at the same time. Thus by this definition, God, must be everywhere in all minds, all life, at all times. This fits the description of eastern religions and new age philosophies. i.e the ALL, Source, etc.. This therefore means it's consciousness envelopes Everything and so we are mostly like are of it and live inside of it.. That is the only way this idea can hold any validity because there is only infinity, and God is infinity, thus all of it's creation exists within its conscious mind which is also infinite.. Jesus of the Bible alludes to this by saying, He is in me as he is in you also. We are all one in the eyes of the father. Therefore love thy brothers as yourself. i.e the golden rule..
    So if infinite mind is God, this then includes all possibilities. And if God is.. well God, he has to include the possibilities that are good, and the ones that are downright horrible as well. Yes, this means God CAN be a giant douche if he wants. He is God. This is why evil people must exist for things to be the way they are. I'll try to explain.. A one sided (good) infinity is no infinity at all. And therefore can not create a FULL existence within it's mind or realm. A FULL existence must include all possibilities, choices, emotions, etc. which then allows the creator to give his creation..Freewill. Freewill is a requirement if you are to create a FULLY REAL reality. I call it the reality of truth. Truth hurts because it is what it is. For "X" to be true it must be eternally true whether that truth is good or bad. Truth is. Only in infinite reality does any "real truth" exist. The equation must balance if there is to be such a thing as freewill...(i.e. good/bad)  If we are indeed creatures with freewill, ( I think that we are) we indeed then live in the ultimate reality of God/infinity. Infinity can not be infinity if it is missing parts of itself. Inside infinity, infinite possibilities, INCLUDING the possibility for evil is justified.. Not morally, but as a requirement of the HIGHER order of the infinite. As infinity it must then allow evil to prevail as it desires, because if it infinity decides to act/intervene, there then begins the UNREAL existence; missing freewill, real possibilities, real happiness, real growth, etc.  This is because as soon as that limitation is put on evil. It is breaking its own truth which is one of it's definitions. Infinite possibility.

So, my perception of God, is that yes, it has only ONE thing that we can be certain of. That it is NOT going save us from war, death, persecution, injustice, immorality, fascism, economical collapse, etc.. If it would, well, then we would KNOW we do not really exist, and we do not have freewill. We more akin to being computer programs than REAL people. Thus, we should know by this fact, that the only thing we have here and NOW , is ourselves. The CHOICES we make, that are possible are granted by infinity our "Father." We alone in our own bodies can influence reality in so many ways if we just accept RESPONSIBLY for our actions and inaction. There inside each and every man and women lies the truth of infinite possibilities. Choice is what defines you and it defines God as as well. He chooses to let you be in your hell, or your heaven that you have created for yourself and others. It is then up to YOU and YOU only to fix the problems of this world the best way you can. It is the SILENCE that lets you know God is there. Always there. This is what you call TRUE FREEDOM. Remember that.

This response will be my next hub :]

Cheers to you all.

1. gregb4hope profile image69
      gregb4hopeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Death is not an end but a transistion. Perhaps from God point of view we simply go to where He is. It's a guarantee and all our balled up fists won't change a thing.  For his word always has the last word.....death!  We are a product of our use of the knowledge of good and evil.  A very relative and selfish form of governing in the hands of men but that's what God promise we would get from the "other tree" in the garden. And so the battle rages on.  But scriptures declares there is a second death and that's the one to pay attention to. It doesn't seem fair but at least we can complain for whatever it is worth or we can give thanks for the life you do have.  And hope someday you can exit your tomb like a man name Jesus did.  I find gold and silver worthless with that hope in mind.  It's an option not a mandate to want it!! God has already resurrected the nation of Israel before the earth again after almost  2000 years of non existence perhaps, there is more to come despite our choices of unbelief!

Thanks for answering my forum.  I find that when people consider God that rarely think of God being in themselves, and that they have a personal responsibly to play their role as truly free agents in existence.  Your answer proves that there is still hope for true spiritual empowerment in our species.

1. profile image0
        erickcbposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you sir. Good luck in your search as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)