jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Being Christian

1. Leaderofmany profile image61
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

Do you have to attend a church or other religious center to be Christian? Can you believe in the Lord and not attend a formal gathering each week and still consider yourself Christian? What is the magic number that is considered a gathering and what is considered a church or religious center?

1. vector7 profile image59
      vector7posted 4 years ago in reply to this

The book of Acts in the Bible should provide answers to your questions if I'm not mistaken.

Being Christian is following Christ.

All four Gospels contain most of what one needs to know.

The book of James is a short and powerful read that helps on basics as well. James was Jesus Christ's brother.

God bless.

2. Hyphenbird profile image93
    Hyphenbirdposted 4 years ago

There is no magic number. A person can be a Christian and believer in Christ without attending a formal worship center. Associating with other like-minded people encourages one and helps one to learn more about the Bible and faith. A person can be a member of a church and not be a Christian. It is not about attendance but about the changes that the spirit undergoes. As we transform, those are seen in our daily lives. I do attend a church at least once a week. The support and friendship I find there are wonderful. It is a special moment to worship with others who are dedicated to the Lord. Those are reasons to attend, performance is not. I do hope this has helped answer your question. I suppose everyone has their own thoughts. These are mine. Joy in Jesus, HB.

3. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago

Religion would be better off if believers do not attend churches and keep it to themselves. All these preachers do is get up and tell people what they want to hear and add in their own beliefs that starys away from the teachings of the Bible. Then there's the mega churches where these guys do the same thing while there massive congregation helps make his Corvette, Porche and mansion payments.

1. HarperDavis profile image74
      HarperDavisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Telling half-truths does nothing. There are honest churches large and small, as well as terrible churches great and small.

4. HarperDavis profile image74
    HarperDavisposted 4 years ago

Christian are simply not to "forsake the assembling of yourselves" (Hebrews 10:25) meaning no, you don't necessarily have to attend a church in a traditional sense. Meeting on your own time and in your own terms (a small gathering at a coffee every other Tuesday, for example) is sufficient.

1. HarperDavis profile image74
      HarperDavisposted 4 years ago in reply to this