jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Secret video shows Buddhist monks gambling, drinking,

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

By msnbc.com staff and news services

SEOUL -- Six leaders from South Korea's biggest Buddhist order have quit after secret video footage showed some supposedly serene monks raising hell, playing high-stakes poker, drinking and smoking.

The scandal erupted just days before Koreans observe a national holiday to celebrate the birth of Buddha, the holiest day of the religion's calendar.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 … nking?lite
    well not all is as it seems..I guess everyone needs to take a break from holiness

1. PDPoole profile image78
      PDPooleposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So this is to demonstrate what? that monks are human not holy? That they are subject to the same weaknesses  that ALL humans face? That the "supposed" serene monks fail in their pursuit to become compassionate?Is this the measure by which 380 million Buddhists should be held up against? Or is this humanity as we live through it? Christians dislike when they are judged by corrupt politicians and religious leaders....so we at the same time shouldn't hold  the entirety of  all worlds Buddhists guilty of the transgressions of these leaders.....I aknowledge no leaders ...I just  aim at not causing suffering as best as I am able!

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

If you do it beause you like to then you are self-activating. If don't do it because it is not good for your image, you are not-self activating, but controlled by externalities not yourself. Which monk is legit?

1. White Ghost126 profile image60
      White Ghost126posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nether, if a religion is forced is it a religion? The Budists sort of force religion on themselves as a way to reach their "enlightenment". Is it religion or is it your trust in god?