jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Who was the first atheist?

1. ptosis profile image79
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.

I am not talking about the Salem witch trials where people were executed for being witches because in James 2:19 it says that even demons believe in a god.

I asking for the historical reference to the modern definition of was an atheist means for a person who calls themselves a Christian and label others as atheists. I am asking because "Diagoras of Melos (fifth century BCE) is known as the first atheist" but means nothing to  us today because then was centuries before Christ.

According to wiki it says: "During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the word 'atheist' was used exclusively as an insult; nobody wanted to be regarded as an atheist"

I think it's still used as an insult when Christians equate being an atheist as Satan worshippers. I am really sure that atheist don't believe in Satan either.

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Atheism came into existence 3 milliseconds after the first god was proposed. I cannot name the person.

1. livelonger profile image91
        livelongerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And we can be sure that atheist was as terrible a person as their religious neighbor, but at least their bad behavior wasn't done in the name of a deity.

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
          Mark Knowlesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, no - he was perfect. lol

2. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

Neanderthals lived on this planet about 200,000 to 30,000 years ago. I'd say it's almost a certainty that your first atheists would probably be found among that group.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

The first individual accepted to be human was most likely the first atheist.  After all, who would have taught him or her otherwise?

4. ptosis profile image79
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

I went back to wiki and found Paul Henri Thiry, Baron d'Holbach, an 18th century advocate of atheism but he is not the very first. It was in the 18th century that there began self avowed atheism.

I found out that I am a gnostic atheist.

1. Castlepaloma profile image25
      Castlepalomaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We we all born atheist then many of us learn the fear of God or a way not to fear God. God was created to control the masses or God is a way to control yourself. God is a personal bias concept , which shall keep to thou self. For me, God is everyone and everyone is God by this way everyone is equal for the God thing, will not ever go away