Americans Hold Atavistic Beliefs About The Origin of The Universe

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/0 … 71127.html

46% still believe in pure creationism.  Are some people beyond hope?  Are their minds so closed to scientific discoveries that it doesn't matter how much education they receive?

2. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 11 years ago

Please... the idea that 46% of Americans believe in Creationism is too depressing to comment on.

On the other hand, I know (I almost said "think", but "knowing" is a lot easier than "thinking") there is a conspiracy involving NASA and our government. How many years have we been "orbiting" the world and NOT ONCE have we seen the GREAT TURTLE the Earth rests on!!!

3. chefsref profile image67
    chefsrefposted 11 years ago

I notice an inverse relationship between education and belief in creationism. Unfortunately these same uneducated people are easily manipulated.
    Climate change deniers, Obama Birthers, polluters, have a natural constituency in people that put irrational faith before science and reason.

I would like to see a conversation about how do we reason with  people who espouse beliefs that contradict empirical facts.
    In my experience that is like trying to talk someone out of their religion. How do we change the mind of someone who has faith rather than facts?

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obama birthers? Please explain.

1. chefsref profile image67
        chefsrefposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People that believe Obama was born in Kenya in spite of his birth certificate

1. profile image0
          Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The mentally deranged, the vacuous, and the theocratic.

2. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe by making them more secure. Anti-science fundamentalism is a modern invention among those who think science jeopardizes their belief system. It's a form of insecurity.

Since there are many more religious people who don't feel that way, maybe they can best communicate why evolution, the big bang theory, etc. don't necessarily invalidate their faith.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe in both, in a manner of speaking. We don't know how God created everything, just that the Bible says he did. Going off of this belief system, then God created everything, so he would have created science and all its principles. I think the Big Bang is a plausible explanation for the way he created the universe. We don't know how long a "day" was for God--- we really don't know a lot of things!

And clearly, I believe in evolution and in the fact that things evolve-- the flu vaccine is the most ready example. Every year I get a new vaccine-- why? Because the virus evolves and changes. Bam-- evolution exists, right there.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand and probably will never know for certain in this lifetime how the universe was created, so I'm open to theories and ideas, and for me the Big Bang and creationism don't invalidate each other, but maybe that's just me.

I go to a private Christian college, and the first thing we did in my microbiology class was talk about the Big Bang and discuss how long it took for protons and particles to form afterwards, etc. My teacher gave a great mini-lecture on why he felt that the Big Bang and creationism can coexist together. I'm definitely not as eloquent as he was.

1. livelonger profile image87

I agree that if there is a God and he's behind everything, why wouldn't the laws of nature, and our ability to observe and interpret natural phenomena (science), be part of that creation? I think it's only among those who are insecure about what they don't understand that lash out and condemn it all.

I think "creationism," though, specifically refers to a literal understanding of the Biblical story of creation: 7 calendar days, the order of creation (water appearing before the sun and moon, etc), 6000 years as the age of the universe, man and dinosaurs coexisting, etc. I don't think you can support that version of creationism and evolutionary theory at the same time.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
            Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I guess I don't believe in "creationism" then. I don't take that part of the bible to be that literal, and it just makes sense to me that God would have followed the laws of nature.... plus, whatever method of dating they use for rocks and such clearly prove the earth is older than 6000 years. Maybe humans have been on it for that amount of time or something like that, but the earth is definitely much older.

I remember being in Sunday school as a little kid and asking where the dinosaurs fit in to the whole biblical story. It always struck me as odd that no one could explain that....

Yes, and plenty of religious Christians of various flavors see it the same way you do. It doesn't necessarily have to be an ultimatum between science and religion.

As for the nature of cosmogony, or the origin of existence, I think we are all agnostic. smile

2. profile image0

The issue isn't really with people like you.  Theistic evolution isn't what's alarming.  It's the people who say God created every species in it's present form that are irksome.

4. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Huffpost isn't one of the world's most reliable sources of truth, but, even the idea of 46% believing in creationism is pretty scary.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. profile image0

They cited the Gallup poll and linked to it..........

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've seen it mentioned in several places. According to Wikipedia it's the same, with sources, and it also notes that only 22% of Canadians and British believe in creationism. The US is second only behind Turkey in the Western world in believing solely in creationism.

Don't forget that, by keeping the death penalty, we're also in similar company: Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, China, etc...

5. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

They believe the earth was created 3,000 years ago, but yet they drive around in cars that are powered by fossil fuels created from dinosaurs million of years ago. Ya just can't have both ways!

1. profile image0

You can have it both ways if you don't care about intellectual honesty :p.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wait. That's two separate things they don't care about.

6. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Obama birthers?

1. Cody Hodge profile image60
      Cody Hodgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a group in America who believes that Obama was born in Kenya. They are known as "birthers." Most of them are conservatives.

most of them are dinosaurs.
        smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. Sally's Trove profile image79
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Geeze, how stupid is that? I mean, the whole concept is mind-boggling.

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

http://www.hermes-press.com/tin-foil-hat.jpg

You don't know what you're talking about, boy.
    God talks directly to ME.

1. profile image0

That's an awesome hat!

Thank you.
        God made it.
        smile

1. profile image0

The grand design gives it away

We have a special name for it.
            We call it Unintelligent Design.

8. Thomas Swan profile image97
    Thomas Swanposted 11 years ago

If we can describe why people become religious then we could make the faithful realise that they came to a belief in God through natural means. For example when people have an illness, a NDE, or suffer the loss of a loved one, they often turn to religion. Anxiety seems to make it easier to become religious. Unfortunately, many religionists would claim that God put them in that horrible situation to help them become religious. I don't think there's any way to remove faith from someone. We just have to be patient and wait for it to die out. In Europe, at least, the trend is going in the right direction.

The old "there are no atheists in foxholes" argument.
      Very true that people turn to God to make sense of tragedies that will never make sense.

Still, there are many people, including Christians, who do not find faith in God incompatible with scientific evidence, but rather a confirmation of same.
      Who understand the Bible is allegorical, not literal.

Hmmm. Maybe we should do our own poll here on HP and see if 46% of hubbers believe in creationism.
      roll

9. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

Our closest star is Alpha Centauri.  It's 4.35 light years away.  The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second. One light year is how far that light travels in a year. I'm not even going to calculate it.  But if you mulitply that times 4.35 years, that's how old the light is that we see from that star.  There are stars that are millions of light years away from us.  That means the light that we see from those stars is million and million of years old.  So how can the universe be created just thousands of years ago?  I sound like Carl Sagan!

1. jacharless profile image74
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only error in that calculation is this: that calculation is of human origin, as is creationism, as is evolution, as is deism and every other form of science {the original Theos}. A substantial affirmation and change of "thinking" can only come from a supported -evidentiary- source, other than humans, to back up these age old claims.

If most truly believe we are not alone in the universe, then we need to stop with the absolution and those other life forms out there need to man-up and say howdy.
      James

1. peoplepower73 profile image89
        peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here is a question to contemplate:  If man didn't exists, would God?

1. jacharless profile image74
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, the term god is erroneous to begin with, which is for an entirely different thread.

But even looking at the Judaic approach and the Evolutionary approach both highly suggest this universe is nothing less than a mere breath from Creators own mouth. One says flow, the other bang!

Socially, according to human history, by writing or otherwise, deems 98% of the population since humanity existed has believed in something that made this beautiful scape we call universe. Still, looking at millions of things that form planetary nature seems in line, yet not concerned.

Man's position and purpose, in this event, seems to be the greater quest and question. Was man designed by either Nature or Creator? Where did he come from, what did he come from and why did he come from?

As a friend of mine says, who does not know a single verse of any religious text, nor who Mr Dawkins is, and barely recalls who Galilei was, "There's gotta be something, right?!" And I can't argue that, given the things I have witnessed as a member of society through other human ideas, texts, observances and that of my own. Staring through and viewing the movement of sub-atomic particles ... Well, let's just say, "there's gotta be something to that."

If nature is chaos or random, than nature has doomed itself by its very appearance/existence.

James

10. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

These beliefs are a classic illustration of the dangers of popularism.

Most US churches are small. The leadership is poorly educated. They tend to ignore most of theology and imagine that they have some unique insight into the meaning of the Bible (inevitably delusional).

The congregations are parochial, frightened of the outside world, frightened of change, desperate for certainty (usually at the cost any serious critical thinking).

Given that most of the great advances in Christian thought since the Gospels were written never made it West, you cannot expect much more than these polls generally show.

An interesting article from an Anglican on the official C of E website: http://www.churchofengland.org/our-view … brown.aspx

Pope Benedict XVI on Creationism v Evolution:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/ns … 89-mbBYsdw

Grownup churches hold grownup views.

You said the magic words there, Will Apse.
      Poorly educated.
      The results of this poll are an indictment of America's education system.

And we wonder why the country is slipping (quickly) into third world status.
      We are dumbing down and clinging to our guns and religion.

I fear the next poll will find 46% of Americans believe the world is flat.

roll

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Flat Earth Society (about 3000 strong) does exist in Briton and here in the US.

Are they related to the Birthers, by chance?

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
            Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't be surprised. Maybe they don't believe the existence of gravity either. I bet these kind of people get taken advantage of and get ripped off alot.

2. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You mean the Earth isn't flat?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)