jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (24 posts)

Why feel insulted

1. profile image61
    nonto21posted 5 years ago

When atheists talk about religion, they aren't talking about the people, just the belief. If you feel it's personal attack and you don't like it, don't respond. Hell, don't read it. If it's offensive to begin with, any explanations you ask for, are probably only going to offend you further.

Sorry if I've been offensive.

I don't want to hurt any personal feelings.

My contention was harmless, if only to me.

1. profile image61
      jah1zposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't know about others but, just know, I felt nothing offended by you. In fact, welcomed it. It's ammunition for the spirits, to give me insight ----- someone mentioned this as a food-chain. Was that you? I see now.

1. profile image61
        nonto21posted 5 years ago in reply to this

It was me. I did mention the food chain, only to explain the principal of evolution. I can't say I actually know anything about it, just an example of what I was taught in school. Not that anything a public school teaches is useful.

1. Friendlyword profile image59
          Friendlywordposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"Not that anything a public school teaches is useful."

The reason, nothing that is taught in public schools is useful, is because of the bad management of the public school system.  Republican State and City Operatives are stealing public School funds for private schools and leaving the public school system and the children in them starving to death.

In the mean time; Charter Schools are getting these stolen funds from the public School system where its being used to buy BMWs and fake test scores.  Five years from now; the school closes, a big fake scandal is manufactured, the Republican Crooks ride off into the sunset(in their BMWs and Stolen Public School Funds.)  So much for privitization of public Education.  Vote Democratic and Put honest people back in charge of running the Nations Public Schools so our children can get a useful education again.

Yours Truly,
          Public School Student
          Friendlyword

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When on feels insulted usually the seeds of those feelings can be found within.

1. profile image61

which means to them, it's an unavoidable truth or that deep down, they agree.

Am I right?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image87
          DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would say that they have doubts, but don't want to admit to them. Many people take offense when they find themselves in a spot where their argument doesn't hold water and they are at a loss for a rebuttal.

Sometimes the correct answer is just saying that you don't know for sure, but are willing to follow your path (right or wrong) based on faith until something leads you differently and let the card lie where they may.

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
            pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's the gist of it yes. Thanks for your interpretation.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
            MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Or...  The speaker was being offensive smile.  Sometimes there's a fine line between personal insults and debating ideas.  That line can be easily jumped by the tone of the poster.

If it was... oh say me... that was "offended" by someone pointing out a flaw in my personal belief then it is most likely the attitude of the speaker I have a problem with rather than the actual content of their argument.

For me personally thinking that my irritation comes from some sort of doubt is laughable and arm-chair psychiatry at best.

Sometimes you really don't need to analyze something too far.  If you irritate someone it might just be because you are irritating.

1. profile image61

Then why are you still irritated? If your faith hasn't been shaken or I haven't really bothered you, then why are you still on about it? A day later?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Because YOU irritate me.  You can do nothing to my faith... largely because you don't have any clue what you are talking about when it comes to my faith.  Your lack of knowledge about any other ideas of Christianity other than your own limited experience is appalling... yet you keep going.

The idea that YOU could shake my faith is also vaguely egotistical.  You ain't got that kinda pull.

1. profile image61

Then why are you irritated?

If I can't shake your fortitude or faith, why are you still attacking me?

I never made any mention of knowing anything.

If you want to continue going on the offensive, toward me in particular, be ready to get booted.

It's in the forum rules, I'd suggest you adhere to them.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

I'm irritated because you irritated me.  It's a personality thing.

I'm not attacking you... just stating an opinion.  You seem to think that if someone finds you annoying that there is something wrong with THEM.  I was just pointing out the obvious other alternative.

The report button is on the bottom right of my posts.  Have fun with that.  Betcha you get banned for false reports before I get banned for "going on the offensive"

And by the way... if you think you have "shaken my faith" then maybe you could let me know exactly what opinion might have done that and what part of my faith that your brilliant diatribes might have effected.

2. Friendlyword profile image59
                    Friendlywordposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So new people are up on hubpages rules and they think they can get around them and be cute little creepy stalker all they want to because they know rules.  People that itimidate others usually slip up because they think they're smart. But if you're twisted and crazy it always slips you up in the end. Do you scare little children too?

working