GOD'S SABBATH OR MAN'S SABBATH
THE ORIGIN OF SABBATH: SATURDAY
REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY TO KEEP IT HOLY
God's great love for mankind is revealed after the creation of the world when He instituted the Sabbath on the seventh day of the week. The heavens and the earth were finished and on the seventh day God ended His work and rested on the seventh day. And God blessed the seventh day, sanctified it and rested (Genesis 2:1-3). This was the beginning of the Sabbath. God himself needs no rest for He is eternal, but man being made from the earth has limited strength.
God loved everything that He created and He knew that man needed rest after six days of work and He specified that man should have a Sabbath, which means rest as set apart for worship. God instituted the Sabbath because He loved man and He knew that man's endurance for work was limited and needed a rest after six days of labour.
At the time of creation of Adam and Eve, there were no Jews nor was there any Jew during the time of Abraham. It was just mankind and a Jew was originally a member of the kingdom of Judah, used later for adherents of the Mosaic Law. So, in essence, to call keeping the seventh day Sabbath a Jewish Sabbath is absolutely inaccurate. "The sabbath was made for man (mankind), not man for the sabbath" (Mark 2:27). God instituted Sabbath for mankind, but the Jews faithfully kept the Sabbath for about six millennium and that is why God blesses them.
If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
SABBATH INCORPORATED IN THE 10 COMMANDMENTS
The sabbath commandment is the fourth commandment out of ten. The first four commandments are concentrated on the love of God whereas the last six are on the love of man. If we keep all the ten commandments, we would love God and love man. If we break one of the commandments, we break the whole law (James 2:10).
- Matthew 19:17 - But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
- John 14:15 - If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- 1 John 5:3 - For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments:
- James 2:10 - For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
We must keep all the Ten Commandments if we wish to enter into the kingdom of heaven.
THE IMPORTANCE OF KEEPING THE SABBATH
- 1. To Let Man Remember God's Creation day of completing God's creation (Ex 20:8-11; Eze 20:20).
2. To Allow Man to Obtain Physical and Spiritual Rest "Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: ... and the stranger, may be refreshed" (Ex 23:12).
- The everlasting God does not faint and is not weary (Is 40:28).
- 3. To Make Man Remember the Salvation of God
- "And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God had commanded thee to keep the sabbath day" (Deu 5:15).
- "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: To remember God's salvation of redeeming us from sin and death (Ac 26:18). Who forgiveth all thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies" (Ps 103:2,3).
- 4. To Let Man Know That God Sanctifies Man "I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them" (Eze 20:12). God wants the people to sanctify the sabbath day (Neh 13:22; Is 58:13,14).
- 5. The Sabbath Makes the Chosen Look Forward to the Eternal Rest The Sabbath is a type of the true rest in heaven. "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works; as God did from his" (Heb 4:9,10).
- 6. There is no real rest in the world (Ps 90:10). Jesus can give us rest (Mt 11:28,29).The Sabbath was established by God as a memorial. "The days of our years threescore years and ten: and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away" (Ps.90:10).
- Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
- Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls (Mt 11:28-29).
JESUS CHRIST AND THE SABBATH
Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath.
- (Mark 2:27-28; Luke 6:5)
- 1. Jesus observed the Sabbath - The Lord Jesus "as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up to read."
- (Luke 4:16) and "And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath (v.31).
- 2. Jesus ceased working on the Sabbath
- Jesus died on the Sabbath (Jn 19:31).
- 3. Jesus Instructed the Disciples How to Keep the Sabbath
- "It is lawful to do good on the sabbath days" (Mark 3:1-6).
- "It is lawful to do well on the sabbath days" (Mt 12:9-14).
- Jesus healed the sick on the sabbath (Mt 12:9-13; Jn 7:22,23; 5:5-18).
THE APOSTLES OBSERVED THE SABBATH
The apostles observed the sabbath even after the death of Jesus Christ.
Paul and Barnabas at Antioch
- (Ac 13:14, 44)
Paul and Silas at Philippi
- (Ac 16:13)
Paul and Silas at Thessalonica
- (Ac 17:1,2)
Paul at Corinth
- (Ac 18:4)
PUNISHMENT FOR NOT KEEPING SABBATH
The Israelites wandered in the wilderness for 40 years till all the adults died before reaching the Promised Land and only Joshua and Caleb were the only two adults who were able to enter the Promised Land..
They were guiltless in the eyes of God for they spoke the truth when they were sent to spy out the land of Canaan (Num 14:30,38; 26:65; 32:12). Their reports were positive.
MAN'S SABBATH: SUNDAY
Man's Sabbath was distinctly different from the love bestowed by God in instituting the Sabbath. Man's Sabbath was concentrated on his power over man.
Man's Sabbath was changed by a great conqueror, the Roman Emperor Constantine who wielded his power and decided to be different from the practising Israelites and called the day the Jewish Sabbath. It is untrue because God instituted the Sabbath when there were no Jews but Adam and Eve. Jews are the descendants of Judah. The Church of Rome usurped the power of God claiming it had the authority to change laws and commandments.
God's Sabbath started after God finished creating the heavens and the earth on the seventh day. He blessed the day and sanctified it. When Jesus was in the world, He kept the Sabbath and it was never repealed by Him or after His death by the disciples. Why was the Sabbath changed from the seventh day to the first day of the week?
For more than three hundred years after Jesus was born and died, the Sabbath was kept from eternity until today by the children of God who obeyed the Ten Commandments. In the year 321 A.D., the Roman Emperor Constantine enacted the law prohibiting the keeping of Sabbath. At that time, Rome was the conqueror and Israel was razed to the ground about 70 years after Jesus died.
CATHOLICS - SABBATH AND CATHOLIC CHURCH
I would like to know if this is true that the church claims it is above the bible?
The Church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact. Deny the authority of the Church and you have no adequate or reasonable explanation or justification for the substitution of Sunday for Saturday in the Third - Protestant Fourth - Commandment of God. As the Rev. Mr. Smith rightly points out: "The Jewish Sabbath is not Sunday, the Lord's Day. Christians are all wrong in speaking of the Sabbath as Sunday." The Christians who so speak are "Bible Christians," those who make the Bible the sole rule of Faith; and the Bible is silent on Sunday observance, it speaks only of Sabbath observance." Catholic Record, September 1, 1923.
"It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.” Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ ‘News’ on March 18, 1903. See This Rock
"Protestants ... accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change... But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that ... in observing Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the Church, the pope." Our Sunday Visitor, February 5th, 1950. See This Rock
Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.” -Rev. Peter Geiermann C.SS.R., The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50
GOD'S SABBATH OR MAN'S SABBATH?
Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:27-28; Luke 6:5). Blessings are given for observing the Sabbath.
The facts are laid out for you to decide. If you choose God's Sabbath, you should observe it on Saturday, the seventh day of the week. On the other hand, if Sunday is your choice, so be it. You have made your own choice. We all abide by the choice we make. Should you choose Saturday, you are fulfilling the commandment of God. However, you can choose Sunday and submit to the Catholic Church which admits to not basing its belief on the Bible but on the power of the Catholic Church. All the churches that worship on Sunday as the Sabbath are in fact following the dictates of the Catholic Church whether they care to admit it or not. Facts are facts and they are true and do not lie. Only 500 out of 38.000 denominations worship on the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath. In recent years, it had been reported that 60 congregations of the Methodist Church have changed back to worshipping the Sabbath on Saturday. Praise and thank the Lord for the change of heart for the better.
"To thy own self be true as the day follows the night", quotes Shakespeare. Follow God or follow Man in his weakness for power to suppress the masses and usurp the power from on high.
Praise and thank the Lord for the change in the 60 congregations of the Methodist Church. God gave them the courage to change. All glory to the only one and true Saviour of mankind.
Before you decide, there are more questions for you to consider. Keeping the Sabbath day is the fourth commandment of the Bible. However, the Catholic Church has it as the third commandment because the Church had obliterated the second commandment from their Bible. The question is would God accept the Christians who only keep Nine (9) out of the Ten (10) original commandments into His kingdom? Is Keeping Sabbath on the different substituted day acceptable to God? Is God doubled minded? Did God bless and sanctify two separate Sabbaths? Can you cite the verses which bless and sanctify Sunday in the Bible?
Would God be pleased with Christians who deliberately disobeyed Him if they know that it is wrong but do nothing to rectify it? Please give this your conscious deliberation. It is written in John 8:32: "And he shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
May the Lord give us wisdom of understanding to discern the truth. God blesses the pure in spirit and in truth.
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
VIDEO ON 7TH DAY SABBATH - David Asscherick
God's Sabbath or Man's Sabbath
Do you know there is only ONE Sabbath in the Bible?See results without voting
Sunday is not Sabbath and is the Lord's Day as instituted by Constantine?See results without voting
If you do not keep the Sabbath, you are going against the Lord's Commandment?See results without voting
If whosoever keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all (Ja 2:10). Agree?See results without voting
Comments 140 comments
- Can Sunday Keepers Be Saved?
The answer to this question is yes! Many can be saved when they refuse the Mark of the Beast, when they are beheaded for witnessing for Christ against the false world system and the Church at Rome!
- What Day is The Biblical Sabbath?
Genesis 2:1-3 > When we look into God's creation, in how many days did God create the heavens & Earth? (In 6 days). So on the 7th day, what did he do? (He rested on it, blessed it, and made it holy). So from...
- The Big Switch: From Sabbath to Sunday
Greetings to another article for your learning experience. Who changed the Sabbath to Sunday? Why did the world worship the Lord on Sunday and not on Saturday? People may say everyday is the Lord Sabbath...
- Keeping The Sabbath Holy
The Sabbath is a first fruits law, an eternal law established by God when He established His creation, and with that he created eternally the marriage covenant as well. You can be sure if...
© 2009 einron
More by this Author
Longans are good for leg cramps and rapid heart beat. Could be due to Electrolyte imbalances. Longan contains several vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, and large amounts...
Salvation to God is by faith. Abraham was reckoned righteous by faith in God not knowing where God would lead him. To walk by sight is to follow our own reasoning and desires.
Purdue researchers found that leaves from the Graviola tree killed six human-cell lines. Especially effective against prostate and pancreatic cancer cells. Read why big pharmaceutical companies do not manufacture...