GOD'S LAWS AND MAN'S LAWS
SUPREMACY OF GOD
God is the creator of heaven, earth and all creation under the sun. As supreme ruler, God decides what is good for mankind and He sets up rules and regulations for us to follow so there will be love, peace and harmony among men.
Moses was chosen among the Israelites to lead God's people to His promised Land. Moses went up the mountain to receive God's commandments and he fasted 40 days and nights. On two tablets of stones were written the TEN COMMANDMENTS. Moses then went down the mountain to his people, but on reaching the Israelites, he found that the people had rebelled while he was gone and had turned to worshipping idols again. In his anger, Moses broke the tablets containing the Ten commandments. God spoke to Moses asking him to make two tablets of stone again, and God wrote the TEN COMMANDMENTS again.
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS are all about love, love God and love man. God is love and He enjoins us to love Him in Deuteronomy 6:5, saying, " And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with al thy soul, and with all thy might."
Matthew 22:37-40 sums up the TEN COMMANDMENTS into TWO COMMANDMENTS, recording the words, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and wilh all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
(38) This is the first and great commandment.
(39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
On the other hand, the laws of man instituted by the rabbis in the 613 ordinances from the Torah (first five books of the Bible - from Genesis to Deuteronomy) teach man how to behave. Works of good behaviour do not earn us a place in heaven, but faith in Jesus Christ will do that.
It is written in Colossians 2:14, "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross."
The ordinances become redundant after Jesus sacrificed Himself for our sins and Christians can now follow Jesus, and not follow the ordinances.
God's laws or commandments are far superior and complete as in the TEN COMMANDMENTS. The message is LOVE and obey according to your heart, soul and mind.
GOD'S LAWS: THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
GOD'S LAWS The Ten Commandments The 10 commandments come from Exodus 20:1-17.
And God spoke all these words, saying: "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- You shall have no other gods before me.
- You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s."
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ENFORCED
The TEN COMMANDMENTS were enforced in the OLD TESTAMENT under the OLD COVENANT and also in the NEW TESTAMENT under the NEW COVENANT. God's commandments are excellent and good for they command us to love God under the first four commandments and to love our neighbours as ourselves under the last six commandments.
The TEN COMMANDMENTS are not done away in the NEW COVENANT under the NEW TESTAMENT. The commandments last forever until God's judgment day when Jesus returns the second time on earth to judge the world.
In Matthew 5:18, Jesus said, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."
"For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee."
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS REITERATED IN NEW TESTAMENT
The first four commandments are summed up in Love God and the last six commandments in Love Man or thy neigbour as thyself.
"And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
(30) And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength; this is the first commandment.
(31) And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."
God gave the TEN COMMANDMENTS to the Israelites in the OLD TESTAMENT, but man added 613 ordinances to them. Moses and the rabbis during four millennia added the ordinances to the NEW TESTAMENT,
God promised that He would "put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people." The NEW TESTAMENT confirms God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 12:3 that "in thee (Abraham) all families of the earth be blessed."
For 4000 years the Israelites were God's chosen people. Now God had opened the door to the Gentiles. In Acts chapter 10, Cornelius, a devout centurion of the Italian band was filled with the Holy Spirit and was baptized by Peter. Apparently his family was included. For the first time, Peter preached to the Gentiles, and the prophecy was fulfilled in the New Testament.
HALAKHAH: JEWISH LAW
What is Halakhah?
Halakhah is made up of mitzvot (commandments from the Torah - first five books of the Bible), laws instituted by the rabbis and customs.
"Judaism is not just a set of beliefs about G-d, man and the universe. Judaism is a comprehensive way of life, filled with rules and practices that affect every aspect of life: what you do when you wake up in the morning, what you can and cannot eat, what you can and cannot wear, how to groom yourself, how to conduct business, who you can marry, how to observe the holidays and Shabbat, and perhaps most important, how to treat G-d, other people, and animals. This set of rules and practices is known as halakhah."
- To know that G-d exists (Ex. 20:2; Deut. 5:6) (CCA1). See What Do Jews Believe?.
- Not to entertain the idea that there is any god but the Eternal (Ex. 20:3) (CCN8). See What Do Jews Believe?.
- Not to blaspheme (Ex. 22:27; in Christian texts, Ex. 22:28), the penalty for which is death (Lev. 24:16) (negative).
- To hallow G-d's name (Lev. 22:32) (CCA5). See The Name of G-d.
- Not to profane G-d's name (Lev. 22:32) (CCN155). See The Name of G-d.
- To know that G-d is One, a complete Unity (Deut. 6:4) (CCA2). See What Do Jews Believe?.
- To love G-d (Deut. 6:5) (CCA3). See What Do Jews Believe?.
- To fear Him reverently (Deut. 6:13; 10:20) (CCA4).
- Not to put the word of G-d to the test (Deut. 6:16) (negative).
To imitate His good and upright ways (Deut. 28:9) (CCA6).
To honor the old and the wise (Lev. 19:32) (CCA17).
- To learn Torah and to teach it (Deut. 6:7) (CCA14). See Torah.
- To cleave to those who know Him (Deut. 10:20) (the Talmud states that cleaving to scholars is equivalent to cleaving to Him) (CCA16).
- Not to add to the commandments of the Torah, whether in the Written Law or in its interpretation received by tradition (Deut. 13:1) (CCN159). See Torah.
- Not to take away from the commandments of the Torah (Deut. 13:1) (CCN160). See Torah.
- That every person shall write a scroll of the Torah for himself (Deut. 31:19) (CCA15). See Torah.
To the Jews, the Mitzvot (mitzvah - singular commandment) are unchangeale commandments that God gave to the Jewish people in the Torah.
613 MITZVOT (COMMANDMENTS FROM THE TORAH)
There are 34 categories in the Mitzvot.
God ... 1-10
Torah ... 11-16
Signs and Symbols ... 17-21
Prayer and Blessings ... 22-25
Love and Brotherhood ... 26-39
The Poor and Unfortunate ... 40-52
Treatment of Gentiles ... 53-58
Marriage, Divorce and Family ... 59-81
Forbidden Sexual Relations ... 82-106
Times and Seasons ... 107-142
Dietary Laws ... 143-169
Business Practices ... 170-183
Employees, Servants and Slaves ,,, 184-202
Vows, Oaths and Swearing ... 203-209
The Sabbatical and Jubilee Years ...210-226
The Court and Judicial Procedure ... 227-262
Injuries and Damages ... 263-266
Property and Property Rights ... 267-277
Criminal Laws ... 278-284
Punishment and Restitutions ,,, 285-308
Prophecy ,,, 309-311
Idolatry, Idolaters and Idolatrous Practices ... 312 - 357
Agriculture and Animal Husbandry ... 358-364
Clothing ... 365-367
The Firstborn ... 371
Kohanim and Levites ... 372-401
T'rumah, Tithes and Taxes ... 402-425
The Temple, the Sanctuary Sacred Objects ... 426-458
Sacrifices and Offerings ... 459-560
Ritual Purity and Impurity ... 561-576
Lepers and leprosy ... 577-579
The King ... 581-587
Nazarites ... 588-597
Wars ... 598-613
SUPERIORITY OF GOD'S LAWS OVER MAN'S LAWS
There is no or little doubt that God's laws triumph over Man's laws. God's TEN COMMANDMENTS can be scaled down to two, namely, LOVE GOD and LOVE MAN. Through Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for mankind, He made it possible for mankind to come before the throne of God and when He ascended into heaven, the Holy Spirit of God or the Spirit of Jesus came into the heart of man to help, guide, and teach him to become a person worthy to enter the kingdom of God.
Man's laws as represented in Halakhah or Jewish Law (613 ordinances) are not written by the finger of God, but instituted by the rabbis. God allowed the Israelites' mitzvot or commandments from the Torah to exist together with the TEN COMMANDMENTS for 4000 years. The Halakhah failed to bring man closer to God. Keeping the law will not save us.
Titus 3:5 says, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit."
Ephesians 2:15 records: "Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;"
THE BENEFITS OF GOD'S LAWS
God's laws have a myriad of benefits that entail salvation, blessings, healing, reliance, prosperity, protection among others.
Deuteronomy 11:26-28 states: "Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; (27) A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: (28) And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.
Blessings: Deuteronomy Chap. 28
Curses: Deuteronomy Chap. 27
GOD'S SABBATH OR MAN'S SABBATH http://hubpages.com/hub/godormansabbath?
THE OLD AND NEW COVENANTS http://hubpages.com/hub/oldnewcovenants
God's Laws and Man's Laws
Do you not agree that God's Laws are more perfect than Man's Laws?See results without voting
Comments 16 comments
© 2009 einron
More by this Author
God would not prolong everyone's life when asked. He did it to Hezekiah because he did what was right in God's eyes. God rewards some cases. Honouring parents will be rewarded in length of days. Those who keep the...
Testing of Job more severe than man. His three friends did not understand his suffering. God opened his eyss and he understood. Job repented and was blessed.
Purdue researchers found that leaves from the Graviola tree killed six human-cell lines. Especially effective against prostate and pancreatic cancer cells. Read why big pharmaceutical companies do not manufacture...