How To Pray The Rosary
Why We Pray The Rosary?
For Catholics, the rosary is a special way of praying to God that honors the Mother Of Jesus, Mary. The rosary is about certain stories in the life of Jesus and Mary. These stories are called" Mysteries". The rosary beads helped to keep count of the prayers and the mysteries.
How To Say The Rosary?
- Make the Sign of the Cross - In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
- While holding the Crucifix in the hand recite the Apostles' Creed.
- On the first large bead, recite theOur Father.
- On the three grouped beads recite the Hail Mary, on each bead.
- On the next bead recite the Glory Be to the Father.
- Announce the First Mystery and recite the Our Father.
- On the ten small beads, recite the Hail Mary, while meditating in mind the mystery.
- Recite the Glory be to the Father on the next bead.
After each decade pray the Fatima prayer :
"O Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell; lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who are most in need of Your mercy. "
- Each of the following decades continue as in the first: Say the mystery, then say the Our Father, the ten Hail Marys and the Glory Be to the Father.
- Conclude the rosary with Hail Holy Queen and Let us pray.
The Mysteries of The Rosary
There are three sets of mysteries are:
- Joyful Mysteries
- Sorrowful Mysteries
- Glorious Mysteries
These are significant events or moments in the life of Jesus and Mary.
Pray the Rosary - Monday and Saturday - The Joyful Mysteries
Reminds us of the joyful, happy times in the lives of Jesus and Mary. Recited on Mondays and Saturdays.
- The Annunciation - The coming of Jesus is announced.
- The Visitation - Mary visits her cousin, Elizabeth
- The Nativity - Jesus is born
- The Presentation - Jesus is presented to God.
- The Finding in the Temple.
Pray the Rosary - Wednesday and Sunday - The Glorious Mysteries
Jesus and Mary were given special glories because they were faithful to God. Recited on Wednesday and Saturday.
- The Resurrection - Jesus rises from the dead.
- The Ascension - Jesus returns to Heaven.
- The Descent of the Holy Spirit. - Jesus sends His spirit.
- The Assumption of Mary - Mary is taken to Heaven
- The Crowning of Mary - Mary is crowned Queen of Heaven.
Pray the Rosary - Tuesday and Friday - The Sorrowful Mysteries
We remember five of the most sorrowful times in the lives of Jesus and Mary. Recited on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- The agony of Jesus in the garden
- The scouring at the pillar- Jesus is beaten and whipped.
- The crowning with thorns
- Jesus carries the cross.
- The Crucifixion - Jesus dies on the cross.
Mary and the Rosary
Throughout history, Mary has appeared and encouraged us to pray the rosary.
In the beginning of the 13th century, Mary appeared to Saint Dominic and gave him a rosary. Dominic taught the people how to say the Rosary and to pray for God's blessings.
At Lourdes in France, Mary appeared to Saint Bernadette eighteen times between February and July 1858.
Many miracles take place at Lourdes, where each day thousands of people pray the Rosary.
In 1917, Mary appeared six times to three shepherd children, Lucia Dos Santos, Francisco and Jacinto Marto. She revealed herself as " Our Lady of the Rosary" and asked for prayers and conversion in the lives of all God's people.
More by this Author
Confucianism started in China around sixth to fifth century B.C.E. by Confucius and it has been followed by the Chinese people for over two millennia.
Lyrics of the theme song for the 23rd World Youth Day sung by Guy Sebastian and Paulini Curuenavuli. It was built around the theme chosen by Pope Benedict XVI: "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has...
Filipino proverbs, or salawikain, echo the values of the Philippines. The values and lessons they impart to us still hold truth to this day.