PRIDE GOETH BEFORE DESTRUCTION
It is of the upmost importance that we know the meaning of "PRIDE" for pride is the pitfall or downfall of angels, kings, priests, generals, soldiers, lovers, men in high places falling headlong into the abyss of sin. Once the seed of pride takes hold of a person, it will grow in enormous strength until it explodes and becames uncontrollable. Pride can also be a good thing if we have the right attitude like in honouring God and parents.
Definition of PRIDE
1: the quality or state of being proud: as
a : inordinate self-esteem : conceit
b : a reasonable or justifiable self-respect
c : delight or elation arising from some act, possession, or relationship (parental pride)
2: proud or disdainful behavior or treatment : disdain
3a : ostentatious display
3b : highest pitch : prime
4: a source of pride : the best in a group or class
5: a company of lions
6: a showy or impressive group <a pride of dancers>
PRIDE: THE FALL OF LUCIFER
The Cause of the Fall
The two main sources come from Isaiah 14:12-14 and Ezekiel 28:15,17-18, which will be quoted in full. The verses show the extent of the pride that Lucifer had for God, who created him sinless and pure. His pride filled his head with pride that he was equal to or even above the stars of God. Lucifer was beautiful to look upon and was filled with pride over his beauty. He even felt equal to the majesty of God. His pride knew no bounds, and that was why he was cast down to earth. About a third of the angels followed his example and were also cast down. The number of the angels was not recorded, but the numbers described were fairly enormous. Angels were created before the world existed. Angels were created like man and had free choice of action. Some of the angels were depicted as evil They chose of their own free will to disobey their creator, the Lord God.
Isaiah includes direct quotes from God on Lucifer who became filled with the sin of pride:
- 12. How are thou fallen from heaven,O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
- 13. For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
- 14. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
God recognized Lucifer's pride, resulting in his fall from Heaven:
- 15. Thou was perfect in thy ways from the day that thou was created, till iniquity was found in thee.
- 17. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
- 18.Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
THE DEVIL'S ANGELS
The fallen angels who followed Satan's lead in rebellion against God were depicted as the devil's angels. Their number was a third of all the created angels in heaven. The number of recorded angels is unknown, but was depicted as myriads of them. They were cast down to earth awaiting for their judgment to eternal hell fire. In the meantime, they spent their time enticing and luring men to sinning against God. Jesus was tested after He fasted 40 days and nights, but He did not fall into temptation because Jesus was blameless and obeyed the will of His Father. One of the devices of Satan was to lure men into the trap by the pride which man would succumb.
- Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
2 Pe. 2:4
- For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell,and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.
- And his tail drew the rhird part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth:
THE FALL OF MAN
The fall of man is mainly disobedience against the Lord God, but pride is an underlying, concealed cause, for an example, take the case of Eve. The serpent deceived Eve in Genesis 3:4, "And the serpent said unto the woman, "Ye shall not surely die: (5) For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil".
Gullible Eve was lured into the trap for she wanted to be as God, knowing good and evil. Pride had closed her mind in not remembering God's command for she was already lusting to be like the image of God. She ate the fruit and gave it to Adam. Pride comes before destruction. Subsequently, man fell into sin like his ancestors, Adam and Eve.
HAMAN: MAN OF PRIDE
Haman is a man who is arrogant, boastful, haughty and self-centered. He boasts of his wealth, his accomplishments, his family, his honors, his exaltations, and the queen’s invitation.
Insecure people love human applause, in the people they know, and in what they have. They have to make sure that everybody knows what they have accomplished.
They get their identity in being promoted, but they forget that promotion comes from God. They take great pride in earning a good salary, in driving the right kind of car and living in the right kind of house in the right neighbourhood. They wear designer clothes and having their children in the right kind of school. They feel proud of their accomplishments and their identity. That is pure security.
One thing that irked Haman was that Mordecai would not bow down to him. After the invitation of Queen Esther, he was so angry about Mordecai, the Jew that he plotted to kill him. He plotted to kill not only Mordecai, but all the Jews in the kingdom of Ahasuerus. His character changed from anger to planning murder of all the Jews. Pride full blown turns to murder.
Haman built a gallows hoping to hang Mordecai with the consent of the king, but his plot backfired and he was hung on the same gallows which he built. Pride comes before destruction.
But for the grace of God, all the Jews in the kingdom of Ahasuerus would be destroyed because of Haman's pride that he cannot take it that a Jew at the gate of the palace would not bow down to him. People of pride feel that they must have control of self and everybody else.
DEATH OF PROUD KING HEROD
King Herod was reigning in Israel when Jesus was born and he had many Jews killed including John the Baptist. His death resulted because he gave not God the glory. Herod prided himself equal to God and the Lord smote him.
- And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.
- And the people gave a shout, sayiing, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.
- And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
PRIDE OF KING NEBUCHADNEZZAR
Twelve months after Daniel interpreted King Nebudchadnezzer's dream , he was walking in the palace and the king spoke:
- The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power and for the honour of my majesty?
- While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnessar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.
- And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whosoever he will.
- The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar. and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.
- Seven years later, Nebuchadnezzar repented and his reason returned to him and the kingdom was restored.
- Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.
At the end of seven years, Nebuchadnezzar repented and acknowledged the power of God, and he ruled his kingdom once more. God is merciful to those who repent and respect his authority on earth..
VERSES ON PRIDE BEFORE A FALL
- Whoso privily slandereth his neighbor, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.
- Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
- Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but its end thereof are the ways of death.
- Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humulity..
- How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
- For thou hast said to thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
- But he giveth more grace, Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.”
- Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud and giveth grace to the humble.
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Pride goeth before destruction
Do you know the more pride a person has, the greater the destruction?See results without voting
Do you know that King Nebuchadnezzar was driven from his kingdom and ate grass like oxen until he repented?See results without voting
Comments 11 comments
- Sermon Notes on PRIDE, July 11, 2010
The following summary of James Chapter 4 is a summary of my sermon notes. While the notes are my own, they are taken from a sermon presented by Pastor Matt Wethington at Riverbend Baptist Church on July 11,...
- Humility Puts Off Pride, One Of The Seven Deadly Sin...
Find out some of the issues involved as we deal with
© 2010 einron
More by this Author
God would not prolong everyone's life when asked. He did it to Hezekiah because he did what was right in God's eyes. God rewards some cases. Honouring parents will be rewarded in length of days. Those who keep the...
Testing of Job more severe than man. His three friends did not understand his suffering. God opened his eyss and he understood. Job repented and was blessed.
Purdue researchers found that leaves from the Graviola tree killed six human-cell lines. Especially effective against prostate and pancreatic cancer cells. Read why big pharmaceutical companies do not manufacture...