White Sage for Spiritual House Cleaning
White Sage Incense to Cleanse Your Home
A spiritual cleansing uses purifying herbs to remove negative energy and unwelcome spirits from your home. It is a good idea to cleanse your home with herbs once in a while to adjust the emotional environment and maintain peace. If you are moving into a new home or office, have it blessed or cleansed, or do it yourself, to ward off negative energy from previous occupants.
A word of caution before we continue. It is of the upmost importance that the smudge sticks you burn are made only of organically grown plants. Since the smoke is actually consumed into the lungs, be sure that are no unnatural additives.
How Smudging Works
Burning herbs, or smudging, helps to clear away negative energy, thoughts, and feelings. Smudging is a powerful cleansing technique used in the the Native American tradition. The effectiveness is based on the theory that the smoke attaches itself to negative energy. As the smoke clears it takes the negative energy, releasing it into another space to be regenerated.
This is true both of a space, such as a home, and of a person. The smoke from the burning herbs helps to clear one's body's aura and protects against evil and negativity. Smudging helps change the energy when you are very angry, unwell, depressed, resentful, or have had a fight with closed one.
The Power of White Sage
Sage is held sacred in many religions due to its effective purifying properties. This small evergreen shrub is used in the kitchen as a cooking herb and in herbal medicine as an antibiotic, anti-fungal, and antispasmodic treatment. This potent herb has been used for thousands of years in cleansing rituals and ceremonies to establish positive energy, clarity of thought, and healing.
There are many varieties of sage used in smudging. The most common used is Salvia Apiana or California White Sage. Native to the coastal mountains of California, it is a broad leafed plant prized for its rich aroma. When burned, sage has the effect of transforming the atomic structure of surrounding air and living creatures.
Using a White Sage Smudge Stick
Performing a sage cleansing ritual to drive off negative energy is not difficult. You just have to prepare a few ingredients and understand procedure. You will need:
- A white sage smudge stick.
- A ceramic bowl or large candle holder.
- Native music (if desired).
Before beginning, mentally and physically distract yourself until you are able to concentrate on the smudging process.
- De-clutter the space and make a peaceful environment in the room by switching off all the electronic gadgets.
- Take several deep breaths and bring your mind to a relaxed and positive state.
Once you have reached a positive frame of mind, prepare the sage for burning.
- If you are using loose sticks of white sage, place a handful in the bowl or candle holder.
- Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
- Light the end of the sage stick. Hold it in upward position and say your prayers, chants, or requests for positive energy and to cast out of any negativity.
- Visualize a bright light within yourself that will provide a shield against dark forces and negative energy.
- Offer the smoke of the sage smudge in all the directions of the house. Slowly carry the smudge around the entire room to make sure smoke reaches every corner.
- Walk through the house, around the edges of the walls, and into corners of each room including bathrooms and closets. Make sure to handle the bowl safely as you get close to clothes or curtains.
- You can also use a large feather to fan the smoke into distant areas of your house.
- Throughout the ritual, focus on positive energy and recite your prayers and chants.
- Once you have completed the spiritual cleansing process of the entire home, extinguish the remaining sage bundle and you can save it for future use.
Sage Burning as Transformative
Whatever natural plants, resins, herbs, or other aromatic ingredients are used for spiritual smudging, it is important to include other people in the ceremony. In some ways, the ritual is more powerful than the burned herbs themselves.
Allow yourself to be soothed by the wonderful and aromatic smoke and encourage positive energy to fill the room. As the smoke rises it is clearing and healing your soul and creating your sacred space. Be fully present, aware, positive, and centered during a smudging ceremony and it will be a success.
More by this Author
Tibetan incense is one of the gems of the Himalayan monastic tradition and combines several herbs, minerals, flowers and spices found in the region to create unique incense with medicinal and therapeutic properties.
During the course of history incense has been used to heal the body, pleasure the senses, sooth the soul, beckon spirits, and pacify the Deities.