THE HOLY SPIRIT: NEW TESTAMENT
The work of the Holy Spirit in the New Testament is different from that in the Old Testament. It was prophesied that the Holy Spirit would dwell in the hearts of the believers after the death of Jesus Christ (Jn. 14:16-18). The Holy Spirit is God's Manifestation of power and is also the Spirit of Jesus Christ.
- And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
- Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
- I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
In the Old Testament, Joel (2:28) and Zechariah (12:10) prophesied the Holy Spirit will be poured out upon the inhabitants of Israel.
On the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit of Jesus was poured down on 120 disciples of the Lord, and they spoke in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. And the multitude which appeared were amazed and marvelled at the different languages spoken, Parthians, Medes, Elamites, dwellers in Mesopotamia, Judea, Capadocia, Pontus, Asia, Phrygia, Pamphlia, Egypt, parts of Libya about Cyrene,and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians all speak in the wonderful works of God. This is the descent of the Holy Spirit to replace Jesus Christ who was sacrificed on the cross.
The Holy Spirit was also with Jesus when He was alive for the Holy Spirit was and is the uttimate, tremendous working power of the Almighty power of God and now represents Jesus Christ on earth. He dwells in the inner recess of the heart of the disciples, and guides them filling them with power to resist temptation of Satan's wiles and temptations.
A. THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVES MAN SPIRITUAL POWER
The apostles were given power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of disease (Matthew 10:1). Peter had spiritual power to heal the lame man at the gate of the temple called Beautiful Acts 3:1-11).
- But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
1 Corinthians 2:4
- And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power.
- That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man.
B. LEADS MAN TO CONSCIOUSNESS OF SIN
The scribes and Pharisees brought to Jesus a woman taken in adultery. They tempted Jesus saying that such should be stoned to death. They continued asking Jesus and He eventually said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her (John 8:8).
The accusers when they heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one and Jesus was left with the woman in question.
- And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.
- And when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
C. GUIDES MAN TO KNOW JESUS
Paul, formerly Saul, a persecutor of Christians was led to know God and became a follower and teacher of the gospel of Jesus. He led Onesimus an escaped slave who turned to Christ to reconcile with his former boss, Philemon.
1 Corinthians 12:3
- Wherefore I give you to understand that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
- But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.
D. REVEALS THE TRUTH
The Spirit of truth shall set us free for when we know the truth, we shall not fear the consequences any more. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will show us the future or the ways of God which eluded us in the past.
- Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
- And it shall come to pass in the last day, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and you sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
- And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy.
- Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
- That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
- The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints.
- And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power.
1 Corinthians 2:11
- For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
E. PRAYS FOR THE BELIEVERS
The Holy Spirit in Jesus Christ prayed for Peter that he would acquit himself after he betrayed Jesus by denying Him three times before the cock crowed.
- Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
1 Corinthians 14:2,14,15
- For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
- Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
- But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on; your most holy faith, praying
in the Holy Ghost.
- And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications:
F. SANCTIFIES THE BELIEVERS
The believers are sanctified when they believed explicitly and obeyed the Lord Jesus without question, following Him like sheep of His fold. The sheep follow the shepherd wherever the sheperd leads them (Psalms 23). Jesus is the Shepherd of our souls.
- That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
2 Thessalonians 2:13
- But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.
1 Peter 1:2
- Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
G. MAKES THE BELIEVERS BRING FORTH THE FRUITS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Christians must bear spiritual fruits like love, joy, peace, goodness and faith to show that they are real Christians with great qualities of character. Bad Christians will not have fruits worthy of praise.
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
- Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
- And he shewed me a pure river of water of life clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
- In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
H. THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVES VARIOUS SPIRITUAL GIFTS
The Holy Spirit gives diverse gifts to different people so they can preach the gospel of Jesus Christ unto the farthest reaches of the earth. Some are equipped with wisdom while others are full of the knowledge of the truth.
1 Corinthians 12:4, 8-12
Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
To another faith by the same Spirit: to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit,
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit dividing to every man severally as he will.
For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
THE HOLY SPIRIT FILLS WITH APPROPRIATE GIFTS
The Holy Spirit fills the hearts of the disciples with appropriate gifts to equip them with love and inner strength to withstand the insidious and deceptive wiles of Satan to deceive the unwary souls. The Christians are armed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit - gentleness, faithfulness, self-control, meekness, peace, joy, love, kindness, patience, goodness, temperance, and faith to fend off any attack. The Holy Spirit is a mighty defender of the Christians and all who believe in Jesus Christ will be victorious over evil.
GOD'S GIFT OF LOVE
No one on earth can imagine the magnitude of God's love to man. He literally poured down His unsurpassed love on mankind when the Holy Spirit of God came down from heaven and filled the hearts of 120 faithful disciples of Jesus Christ on Pentecost. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God and of Jesus, and God distributes a part of Himself to all who believe in His love and unlimited magnitude.
It was prophesied in the Old Testament by many prophets including Joel (2:28-29) and Zechariah (12:10). The Spirit of God dwells in the hearts of millions of believers throughout the world. It brings hope to those who despair with hoplessness, and those who are hungry, physically, mentally and emotionally. Light shines where previously the void was filled with darkness and despair.
Miracles have happened, the truth has set man free and follow Jesus Christ. No longer do they grope in the dark, but walk as free men, thanking God and looking into the future. They are resurrected from being dead in their souls, but physically alive. Jesus Christ brings them into His kingdom on earth. This is the miracle of the Holy Spirit which gives life to the lost in the New Testament.
www.amazon.com/Holy-Spirits-Interpretation-Testament.../1846940850Holy Spirit's Interpretation of the New Testament and over one million other books are ..... My five floor-to-ceiling bookcases are filled with books, videos, CD's in ...
GOD'S MANIFESTATIONS: THE HOLY SPIRIT AND JESUS CHRIST http://hubpages.com/hub/godsmanifestationsholyspiritjesuschrist
THE HOLY SPIRIT EMPOWERS 4 WOMEN in EXORCISM http://hubpages.com/hub/holyspiritempowers4womenexorcism
GOD'S MANIFESTATION: HOLY SPIRIT (SYMBOLISM)(1) WATER http://hubpages.com/hub/holyspiritsymbolismwater
GOD'S MANIFESTATION: HOLY SPIRIT (SYMBOLISM)(2) FIRE http://hubpages.com/hub/godsmanifestationholyspiritsymbolismfire
GOD'S HOLY SPIRIT is JESUS' HOLY SPIRIT http://hubpages.com/hub/godholyspiritisjesusholyspirit
BORN OF WATER AND THE SPIRIT http://hupages.com/hub/bornwaterandspirit
THE HOLY SPIRIT: OLD TESTAMENT http://einron.hubpages.com/hub/theholyspiritoldtestament
7 SPECIAL GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT http://einron.hubpages.com/hub/7specialgiftsoftheholyspirit
The Holy Spirit: New Testament
Do you believe the Holy Spirit lives in the hearts of men in the New Testament?See results without voting
Do you know how the Holy Spirit works in the Old Testament?See results without voting
Can you differentiate the difference between the work of the Holy Spirit in both Testaments?See results without voting
Comments 8 comments
- The Holy Spirit Is Like The Wind
I asked the Holy Spirit to move on me as I write these words. i have more clarity today as to my direction for the Lord's work. I felt a change coming on me around 27 months ago. I knew God was leading me to a...
- GOD'S MANIFESTATIONS: The Holy Spirit and Jesus Chr...
THE HOLY SPIRIT: GOD'S POWER FORCE The Bible describes the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of the One True God in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament as the Spirit of Jesus Christ. There is no...
© 2011 einron
More by this Author
Testing of Job more severe than man. His three friends did not understand his suffering. God opened his eyss and he understood. Job repented and was blessed.
Jesus came to earth like a lamb and will return as a lion who rules as king and judge over the people. The lamb of God came as a sacrifice for the sins of the world. In the Old Testament, God reigned supreme as...
Purdue researchers found that leaves from the Graviola tree killed six human-cell lines. Especially effective against prostate and pancreatic cancer cells. Read why big pharmaceutical companies do not manufacture...