15 Rules for Green Equestrians to Succeed
Hello, fellow equestrians.
For people who like to talk proper, you can use the word "equestrian," look quite smart. Do you even know what this word, "equestrian,"means.
This term means "expert horseman or horsewoman." The grammatic engineers decided that equestrian was much-easier to say and remember. I can appreciate people who make things easier for us of the average I.Q. level.
I am so glad that I never had but one encounter with a horse. Well, truthfully, it was a smart alec pony that my childhood pal, Rick Stidham rode to my house to see me get bit by this monster with a cute face. Rick himself was a monster. I did a good job of keeping my eyes shut concerning this fact.
Watch and learn.
I learned my lesson
on that day that Rick's pony bit me as I tried to put my foot in the left stirrup to mount him as good as Rick and show him, (speaking of Rick), how good I could ride a horse.
I admit it. I was very foolish in attempting that stunt. But it taught me that a person who wants to ride horses must first gain the horse's trust in order to ride him. Or her. And while it is true that horses, like dogs, can sense fear in a person, with some patience, anyone can learn to ride a pretty horse and have a great time.
If you do not have
a wise dad, grandfather, mom, grandmother, or uncle to get valuable horseback riding wisdom from, then you can follow the rather home-spun advice below which I have entitled . . .
15 Rules for "Green Equestrians" to Succeed
- Never try to catch a football or Frisbee thrown to you while you are on the back of a horse.
- Never try to do fancy tricks with your horse's cooperation to impress a pretty girl or you might be thrown from his back and injure yourself.
- Always keep your eyes on the pathway in front of you. If you sense fear, don't shut your eyes. This is very dangerous to turn loose of the reins and cover your eyes with your hands.
- Never get into state of over-relaxation. Riding a horse is relaxing, but not intended for you to nap and let the horse go where he pleases.
- Never yell directly into the horse's ears for this will cause him to panic and start running as fast as he can and you could end-up on the ground.
Are you learning?
- Actually, never yell at your horse for anything. A horse has feelings and they can be hurt just like yours.
- Never try to stand erect on the horse's back so others will envy your horseback riding skills.
- Never try to cover the horse's eyes for this will send him or her into a panic and you might get severely hurt.
- Sit erect in the saddle. Do not lay across the horse to have some fun trying to be a "dare-devil."
- Do not, unless it is an emergency and you know what you're doing, smack the horse on its rump to make it run extra-fast because it takes a lot of skill to control a horse that is scared and angry about being whipped for no reason.
Finally . . .
- Never kick or "spur" your horse for him to run faster. Remember, a horse is not created to run wide-open all of the time. Take some time to ride a slower pace. This way you can get more enjoyment from the experience.
- Never whip-out your cell phone and begin to text friends. You must devote all of your concentration on learning about your horse not what "Bob" is doing with "Charlotte."
- Always pay-attention to your teacher. He or she has mastered the art of horseback riding and knows more than you do about this fine activity. And take notes if you want. This will help you learn how to be an accomplished equestrian.
- Take breaks to give your horse some needed-water and to rest his muscles.
- Never tease your horse during a ride or break with a tasty apple--holding it near his lips and when he tries to bite it, you jerk it away. Horses are like elephants. They have great memories.
Remember these rules and be careful.
More by this Author
Do you love your bicycle? Yes, you answer? Well, do you take the extra time to make sure that it is absolutely safe?
Ahhh, the business of sportscasters and their catch-phrases. How we love them. Read this and root for the home team.
You can survive a burglary.