20 Most Intriguing College Football Matchups for Week 1
20 Must See Games for Week 1
It is finally that time of year and that is the season of college football is upon us. It starts on Thursday night with some key matchups. I have picked out 20 games for week one of the college football season that will should be some pretty intriguing matchups since week one usually it are plenty of blowout as top teams mostly open up with cupcakes. But there those games that will be very competitive along with a couple of top matchups between two ranked opponents. So here are my 20 most intriguing games for week one of the 2010 college football year.
20 Week 1 College Football Matchups
1. 9/2/10 Pittsburgh at Utah: These two teams have only met once before and that was in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl (2004) where Utah blasted Pittsburgh 35-7 to go undefeated that year in 2004 and become the first non bcs conference school to go to a bcs bowl. This year Pittsburgh is many pick to win the Big East. But the will have a tough time dealing with Utah.
2. 9/2/10 Minnesota at Middle Tennessee: The Blue Raiders have already took down one bcs school at home before('08 beat Maryland 24-14). And are capable of doing it again as they are pick to unset Troy from the Sun Belt title this year.
3. USC at Hawaii: The Trojans should win this game but how will they look now after the recent sanctions of probation for 2 years. And with the lost of some players and recruits leaving due to those sanctions and they have a new head coach.
4.9/2/10 Florida Atlantic at UAB: I know this is not a nationally intriguing game but since I am from Birmingaham, AL I got to give my home team some love. And I hope that they get a win and get off to a good start.
5.9/2/10 Southern Miss at South Carolina: Will this be the year for South Carolina. It starts Thursday with a visit from the Golden Eagles which are always a tough opponent.
6. 9/4/10 LSU vs North Carolina (Atlanta): This will be a matchup of two teams that are ranked in Top 25. So this should be still a competitive game even though North Carolina will probably be without a number of starters due the recent allegations of cheating on grades. So LSU will look to take advantage and get off to a good start.
7. 9/4/10 Oregon State vs TCU (Dallas): The Horn Frogs will be looking to take down another bcs conference school. Last TCU open up the season beating Clemson and Virginia in there first three games going on th finish the regular season undefeated before losing to undefeated Boise State in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl.
8. 9/4/10 Washington at BYU: Another Pac 10 vs Mountain West clash and the Mountain West have gotten the best of some Pac 10 teams of late.
9. 9/4/10 Illinois vs Missouri (St. Louis): Last year Illinois came into this game as the favored and got blown out by Missouri 37-9. And now Missouri will be a heavy favorite coming into this year's game.
10. 9/4/10 Connecticut at Michigan: This is a big game for both teams but even bigger for Michigan as the Wolerines haven't made it to a bowl game the last two years and the fans are restless.
11. 9/4/10 UCLA at Kansas State: These two teams are looking to get off to a good start and have a productive year. So this should be a good game between these two non conference foes.
12. 9/4/10 Purdue at Notre Dame: With a new regime in South Bend the Fighting Irish are looking to prove that they are back. It will start as the have to face there in state rival Big Ten opponent in Purdue. The Boilermakers should make it a game though.
13. 9/4/10 Kentucky at Louisville: These two in state rivals get it on early.
14. 9/4/10 Colorado vs Colorado State (Denver): Another in state rival to kickoff the college football season. Last year Colorado State out man there cross town rivals 23-17.
15. 9/4/10 Cincinnati at Fresno State: The two timing Big East champs go out west for there first game where Fresno State has made a name for itself on being a tough non bcs conference school.
16. 9/4/10 Northwestern at Vanderbilt: SEC vs Big Ten even though it is two of the bottom tier teams.
17. 9/5/10 Tulsa at East Carolina: The two timing CUSA champs start ther title defense with a conference foe to start the season off with and with a new head coach.
18. 9/5/10 SMU at Texas Tech: New Texas Tech head coach Tommy Tuberville start his debut with a old in state rival.
19. 9/6/10 Navy vs Maryland (Baltimore): Last year Navy open up against Big Ten champ Ohio State and lost 31-27. Now they look to take down a Maryland team that is looking to get better after going 2-10 last year.
20. 9/6/10 Boise State vs Virginia Tech (Washington, DC): This will be the main event of week 1. This game is huge for both teams as Boise State will look to prove that they are a legit top ranked team. It will interesting on how they look against formidable foe in Virginia Tech who also have the BCS on its mind.
More by this Author
The SEC has won 8 national championship in the last 10 years with Alabama leading the way with 4 titles ('09 '11 '12 '15) , Florida 2 ('06 '08), Auburn 1 ('10) and LSU 1 ('07).
We already think that these teams should compete for championships: Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and LSU. But who will be taking that next step to contend.
No comments yet.