5 Tips on how To Survive in the Jungle
What if your plane crashed on a dense forest? You might consider yourself lucky to survive the crash but the happiness won't be so long as you find yourself alone in an unknown territory. Given you know nothing about the jungle you are currently trapped, it is most likely for you not to survive. However, there are 5 simple tips which you can follow to increase your chance of survival and emerge victorious against all the dangers that nature in stored for you.
[ QUICK POLL ]
What is the easiest and most accurate way to know directions?See results without voting
The first thing that you should worry about is deciding where to go. You should know that forests are mazes and one wrong turn can lead you going in circles. There are three ways for you to have a constant direction. It doesn't really matter if you choose north, west, south or east as long as you stick to one. Here are simple yet effective ways for you to know directions in no time.
- Observing the Sun - The sun rises at the east and sets at the west. I know most of us are aware of this and following the movement of the sun can help you determine where your west and east are. However, this technique is also applicable for situations where you can freely observe the sun. It's a fact that there are overly dense forests which won't even allow you to look at the sun. This is the worst case scenario because you will end up being trapped on a forest less visibility given you have a very limited source of light.
- Creating and Improvised Compass - This might sound complicated but anyone can do it. All you need to have is a piece of metal. A metal hair clip or needle is good enough. First, dig a small hole in the ground and fill it up with water. Second, rub one end of the metal in your hair to produce static electricity. Lastly, place it on the hole you prepared and watch as it reacts. The direction were it points is north.
- Studying the Overall Environment - It will take experience for you to know directions with the use of this method. Nonetheless, its worth trying especially if there is no way for you to see the sun and if you don't have any metal at hand. Look at the vegetation of the area. And how plants react. Remember that plants will strive to get sunlight and adapt to their environment as well. If all else fail, search for a river and follow it. This should be your last recourse because following the river can be very dangerous as wild animals often hunt and rest on riverbeds.
YOUR LIFE SAVER
Having a compass with you will certainly increase your chance of surviving. With this gadget in hand, there is no need for you to worry about directions. Just decide which direction to go with and stick with it no matter what. This is the main reason why you should always be ready for the worst if you plan to go on a hiking with your friends or traveling to an unknown place. Others might think that you are too paranoid but there is nothing wrong with being ready.
Aside from a compass, you should also bring a water container with you. Remember that water is a crucial factor for you to survive. You can last for a week without food but you'll be in trouble if you drink nothing for three days.
Reading some survival books aside from this hub is also a good move. You will never know when you'll face such a challenging situation so its best for yo to be ready. I am not sure if the tips mentioned on these books do work but knowing they are published by reliable authors is a reason good enough for you to trust them.
[ QUICK POLL ]
Would you drink your own pee?!See results without voting
Resourcefulness is a must if you want to survive in the jungle. You can't just stroll the forest and expect a vending machine to save you from thirst. There are three important things which you need to consider so that you can survive while struggling to get your way out of the jungle which includes food, water and shelter. The latter will be thoroughly discussed in the next tip while we will tackle the first two here.
- Water - You need to drink every once in a while as you go along with your journey. Walking in a jungle is much more stressful than a strolling at the park. The slippery road, challenging terrain and the bushes in your way will make your journey very challenging. It's good to know that there are natural sources of water which you can easily find in the jungle. Bamboos are the best source. You only need to make a hole to access the water inside it. You can also settle with water accumulated on leaves or tree branches. Collect them on your way and drink up when you feel thirsty. Remember that it's not safe to directly drink stagnant water and even from rivers because you might end up swallowing parasite eggs if you do so.
- Food - Fruits are your best options. However, do not risk yourself by eating any fruit. There are so many wild fruits in the jungle which looks nice to eat but are not edible. You can also try to hunt for fish, wild pigs and rabbits. You can cook them if you are patient enough to create fire by consistently applying friction on two pieces of wood. This will take some time especially at first try. Nonetheless, eating cook food will boost your moral and can save you from digestive problems.
Being lost in the jungle with nothing but yourself can be very hard. You need to improvise a water container, fire source and many more. You can be closely compared to a soldier without any weapon. This is the main reason why you should always bring survival tools on trips and hikes. Being extra careful won't hurt you. It might even save you from situations you least expect to happen. Here are some tools which can make your journey to survive in the jungle much easier. Always check if you have them in your bag before embarking on any journey.
DARE NOT TO BUILD A CAMP?Click thumbnail to view full-size
Building a camp is a must. You need not to build an entire house. All you need is shelter from the rain and a place above the ground where you can safely rest. DO NOT EVER SLEEP ON THE GROUND. The first thing that you should do is to search for a tree with sturdy branches. Decide on a good spot where its branches are closely together so it will be easy for you to create a platform from it. Gather three fallen branches which are strong enough to support your weight. They will serve as the base of your platform. Tie them all up and form a triangle with the use of some vines. Add more pieces of wood to complete the frame. You can use the ferns you gathered earlier as the flooring. Install the platform on the part of the tree you decided and its done! You can easily build roofing by piling up some banana leaves above your platform.
If you are lucky enough, there are some caves which can provide you good shelter. However, you need to create fire which can last the whole night to prevent wild animals from reaching you. Remember that most wild animals consider a cave as a good place to rest as well.
You might be thinking that staying up all night to make sure you are safe is a good idea but it's not. You definitely need a lot of rest so you can go on with your journey. Worrying won't do you any good. It's best to stop thinking about negative possibilities, shut your eyes and sleep.
THINGS WORTH LIVING FORClick thumbnail to view full-size
Surviving in a jungle does not only require physical but emotional strength as well. Everything won't go with what you planned. In fact, failure is very common especially if you are still getting used to the environment. You will surely end up waiting for hours just to catch food but end up failing. DO NOT LOSE HOPE! Remember that you will only fail if you quit trying. Be strong and fight for survival. If you start losing your faith, think of things which makes life worth living like your family, friends and God. There is nothing that you can't do if you are determined to survive and be reunited with the ones you love the most.
Patience is also a crucial key to survive in the jungle. This is true especially if you are hunting for food. Wait for the right moment to strike. This is a technique applied and tested by wild animals so considering this method will give you a better chance to catch something to eat.
Prayer can move mountains. Miracles do happen and if you just trust in Him and work hard to get through this dilemma, you'll be out of the forest in no time. Keep in mind that He is always by your side. If you feel alone and confused, pray and ask for guidance. He will provide you with all the things you need to survive so the only thing left for you to do is to look for them. He loves you and will be on the rescue at times of despair.
I know it won't be easy. The jungle is so unpredictable and danger is everywhere. Although the tips mentioned earlier will help you survive, it is still all up to you whether you'll end up successful or not. If your will is strong enough and you keep your faith high, sooner or later you'll find yourself hugging the one's you love, being proud of the great challenge you just pulled through.
More by this Author
Cartoons are famous for their vibrant colors, lovable personalities, and humorous acts. Who in the world don’t know Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse? Their fans worldwide are not only limited to kids since most adults...
Trapped in the desert? Don't panic since you can easily survive from this tight situation by simply following five tips. I know it's not likely for us to be trapped in a desert these days but who knows! Being prepared...
Defense of the Ancients popularly known as DOTA is basically a World of Warcraft 3 Map where players take the role of one hero among a hundred and battle it out with another player or AI to defend camp and conquer the...