Mosin Nagant: Lighten Trigger Pull
The Mosin Nagant rifle is one of the world's most popular rifles ever produced. Most shooters tend to complain about the heavy trigger pull. Many Mosin Nagants are purchased for nostalgic and collectible reasons, so some owners do not like permanent modifications and changes made to the rifle. There is a very simple and quick adjustment that can be done to lighten the trigger pull using aluminum foil. Place a single, small piece of foil between the leaf spring and receiver of the rifle. Test fire after each layer is placed to achieve desired pull.
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Aluminum Foil
Bottom Main Bolt
Aluminum Foil Spring Spacer
Steps to Lighten Trigger Pull
- Remove the receiver and barrel from the wooden stock using a flathead screwdriver. There are two main bolts to be removed. One is on top behind the cocking bolt, and the other is in front of the trigger guard.
- Locate the leaf trigger spring, and remove the bolt securing the spring to the receiver by unscrewing it.
- Cut a few half inch squares of aluminum foil, and cut a small hole in the middle of each square of foil.
- Align the hole in the foil with the hole with the hole for the bolt that secures the leaf spring to the receiver. The foil should lie between the spring and the receiver.
- Screw the main bolts by the magazine box and cocking bolt back in.
- Test the trigger pull while the rifle is unloaded by dry-firing a few times. Add or remove foil squares as needed to get the desired amount of trigger pull.
Never create a very light trigger pull. A light pull can cause accidental firing when the rifle receives an impact.
Mosin Nagant Tutorials
- Mosin Nagant: Install Rubber Recoil Pad
Installing a rubber recoil pad on a Mosin Nagant will make shooting more comfortable. It is easy to swap the original steel plate with a rubber one.
- Mosin Nagant: Install a Bent Bolt
Mosin Nagants are issued with a straight bolt, which makes installing a scope and mount difficult. A bent bolt allows several types of mounts and scopes to be used.
- Mosin Nagant: Emphasize Sight Markings
Bring out the Mosin Nagant sight markings using only a white wax crayon. The markings will become easier to see, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Mosin Nagant: Removing Rear Sight
Mosin Nagant shooters often remove the rear sight leaf or entire rear sight to make some space for a scope and scope mount to be installed. Removing both are easily to do.
- Mosin Nagant: Curing Sticky Bolt
Curing a sticky bolt on a Mosin Nagant can be done with gun cleaner solvent and a piece of cloth. Sticky bolts occur from cosmoline build-up and/or gun powder residue.
More by this Author
Care is needed to extend the life of goalkeeper gloves. Washing is vital to preserve the natural latex foam used on the palm and fingers of the gloves. Minor repairs are also needed to squeeze a little more life out of...
Goalkeeping is the most unique position on the pitch. Many training sessions and matches are needed to meet the physical demands of the position, but the psychological development is often overlooked when learning or...
Yuccas are very common, especially in arid regions of the Americas. The yucca plant is easy to care for and has similar requirements to that of cacti. Proper sunlight and soil, along with watering and fertilizer...