Carp Fishing Tips and Secrets
Catch Big CarpClick thumbnail to view full-size
Polarized Fishing Glasses
10 Top Tips for Catching Carp
So lets be honest... Most of us have read the magazines, searched the net in hope for that special tip that might increase our chances of catching more or bigger fish! However, dissapointingly we usually find that what we come to read never really gives us what we are looking for.
I am a very keen fisherman. I target most specimen fish - my favourites being Carp, Tench, Bream, Perch, Roach. I have members of my family that have held UK Record Catches in the past and also members of the family that never catch a thing, but keep trying! However.. what i am trying to get at is that i have been brought up with fishing in my blood; I listened endlessly to people talking about fishing throughout my childhood, and have done fair bit of it myself, and you know what - I still love it. Once you start you can't stop. Its a bug, that only us fishermen understand. A chance to get out in the open, relax by a lake or river, and focus our minds on one thing only - catching fish!!
From my personal experience i would like to share some online free excellent tips with you, that i have found have worked for me in the past and hopefully the future!! If you are new to fishing and are perhaps going for a first time, this should set you in good stead, and you should be able to keep up with the more experienced anglers and maybe even outcatch them ;0).
Catch More Carp - 10 Top Tips & Secrets
1) Firstly - the bait that you use should vary depending on the size of the carp that you are fishing for. This will also depend on the lake. I have found that Big Carp 20lb+ will usually prefer a larger bait - e.g.15 - 20ml, whereas a lake with a head of carp average 8lb, you will be better using smaller baits - 8-15ml. Try this and i think you will see an improvement in your catch rate straight away.
2) When fishing for carp in the winter months you should scale down on your tackle as much as possible because the fish are not as hungry and do not need to feed. Therefore if the fish have any inklink that a bait may look suspicious they will not touch it in the winter months. I suggest going down to braking strain 5lb line, smaller bomb, smaller rig, smaller hook, smaller bait and by doing this you will be able keep the bites coming through the winter, although it will never be as fast as in the summer!
3) In winter months spice your baits up with something. The Fish like spicy baits this time of year and it can get them feeding. I recommend a top winter bait - Sweetcorn with curry powder sprinkled over the top (preferably tandoori); left for 24 hrs in the fridge, and you will have a very coloured, very smelly curry sweetcorn. The 3rd picture in the below slideshow was caught in December, and it was my first time on the lake... I dropped the curry sweetcorn into the margin and within 30 minutes i pulled out that fish. Chilli's and Garlic are also fantastic to add to bait in the Winter months. Tips for Winter Fishing
Share your carp fishing catches with the world on Carp Share - The Social network site for all carp fishermen. It has a key feature that allows you to search a lake and see what catches have been caught there, try it out!
10lb fishing line tackle
4) In summer always feed plenty of ground bait. Bait up to the bites you get; if the fish are bit crazy then keep baiting up like crazy, if the bites stop for a while, stop baiting up for a while. It really is important to bait up correctly. In the winter i do not tend to bait up much at all. Firstly try a single bait and then maybe add a few particles into the area after a period of time. I find fine ground baits, mixed with pellets and hemp the best.
5) PVA bags can be an excellent way to get bait around your hook bait, and attract more fish to your line. However its important to remember that these do not work at every lake. Fish become suspicious of these over a period of time, as when the bags break down it will sit on the bottom of the lake, sometimes on top of the feed and does not look very appealing -the fish will also begin to realise that when they feed on these lumps of glue - They get caught! so will avoid them sometimes. This is when it can be a great ideal to use a method feeder.
If in pursuit for Catfish and Big Carp you may be at an advantage night fishing. Night Fishing Tips.
6) Use method feeders more! Soak some pellet,chuck in some hemp, groundbaits, liquid attractants, bit of sweetcorn and stick it on the method feeder... it can work great on many many lakes.
7) Dont be afraid to fish from on the top. Sometimes the fish will be in mid - water or top- water and will only be interested on a bait that is floating on the top of the water. Therefore use this to your advanage and try Bread with a large hook and controller float - dog biscuits - and other floating baits to tease them in. Stalking the fish works well, but important to be very quiet or you will spook them.
8) Pop ups - Another great way to catch fish mid - water. Too many people (including myself), spend too much time fishing the bottom of the lake, when the fish are infact not on the bottom of the lake, but are actually higher up in the water.
9) Change swims. Don't always stick to the same swim on a lake. If you are not catching then move! You can learn more by moving around the lake and therefore increase your chances of catching.
10) Baits - Many Fisheries will not allow tiger nuts, but if you can find any that do, then use them.. they can be an excellent bait - especially in france, so if you have any trips planned to france then make sure you take some. Fish France. In the UK there is a 1 boilie in particular that i find seems to catch when nothing else is working. This is the whisky boilie.. I have caught on many lakes with them, it surprises me each time - try them. If i am not on a whisky boilie then a birdseed based boilie, such as pineapple would be my preferance. Don't be shy to use pellets, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, chick peas - All good baits, all work on different lakes....... I have listed some baits that i recommend below that have worked wonders for me. Bare in mind baits are much cheaper to buy on the net than any fishing tackle shop. Sometimes it seems that it doesn't matter which bait you will use, you will not catch a thing. In times of desperate measure like these i usually try one or 2 rather unusual baits. Unusual Baits.com
- Bite Alarms UK
Bite Alarms UK offers you high quality bite alarm products at seriously low trade prices! There's special discounts and Reduced offers not to be missed. Buy here for a guarenteed cheap price! Tackle Tart Angling. Cheap, reduced, discounted.
- Carp Fishing in Winter - Tips and Secrets
Catch more fish in Winter!
- Catch Carp In France
Tips on how to catch the big fish in France!
- Carp Fishing Tips and Secrets
More by this Author
Keen fisherman? If so you are probably a little bit like me. No matter what the advice you are given, you ignore it and fish even if your chances of catching are more than slim! So when is the best time to fish for...
Carp Fishing Intro If you have found this page, then you - just like me are most probably a carp fishing addict! Always looking for that extra little tip, trick, or bait that might give you the edge next time you make...
Before we start, take a look at the picture on the right. It is the poster for Derren Brown - Svengali. Stare at the picture for 10 seconds or so, focusing on the stage area. Then continue reading through the page, but...
No comments yet.