Dallas Cowboys Football Trivia Questions
Think you know Dallas Cowboys football trivia? I’ve put together some sports trivia questions from the history of the Dallas Cowboys professional football team that I think any football fan would be interested in.
You may find some of these Dallas Cowboys trivia questions a little easier than some of the others, but I think you will find all of them to be challenging.
15 correct – You are a serious Dallas Cowboys fan. You are awarded two lifetime tickets from every NFL stadium so you will never miss an away game either. (Since we are making all of this up, let’s throw in travel too.)
11-14 correct – You are awarded two lifetime tickets to all home games.
6-10 correct – You get two tickets to this week’s game and show up to the stadium only to find out it’s an away game.
0-5 correct – The team locks you in a locker before the game.
Dallas Cowboys NFL Football Trivia Questions
1. Before settling on the name “Cowboys” prior to the 1960 NFL season, what other two names was the Dallas team known as?
2. Who was Dallas’ first starting quarterback?
3. Who did Dallas beat for their first ever league win?
4. In what year did the Cowboys make NFL history by having two 100-yard runs in the same game?
5. Who quarterbacked Dallas to their first-ever Super Bowl win against the Miami Dolphins?
6. Who was the very first Dallas Cowboy to rush for 1,000 yards in a season?
7. The Cowboys had their first No.1 draft pick in 1974. Who did they choose?
8. In 1989 the Cowboys again held the No. 1 overall draft pick. Who did they sign?
9. Who became the first two players from the same team to lead the NFL in rushing yardage and receiving yardage in the same season? And what year did they accomplish this?
10. Who was the first player in Dallas team history to score two touchdowns on returns of any kind in the same game?
11. In 1999, Troy Aikman won 8 games for the Cowboys making him the winningest starting quarterback of any decade with 90 wins in the 1990’s. Whose record did he break?
12. In what year did Emmitt Smith break Walton Payton’s all-time rushing record?
13. Who was the first player inducted into Dallas’ “Ring of Honor”?
14. What former Dallas quarterback did Dallas beat in Super Bowl XII when they beat the Denver Broncos?
15. Who were Super Bowl co-MVPs in Dallas’ win in that Super Bowl against the Broncos? (Marking the first time in Super Bowl history that there were co-MVPs.)
Scroll down for Answers to Dallas Cowboys NFL Football Trivia.
1. The team was first known as the Dallas Steers, then the Dallas Rangers.
2. Eddie LeBaron was the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys for their first four years from 1960 to 1963.
3. Dallas’ first-ever league win came in the first game of season two against Pittsburgh when they scored 10 points in the final 56 seconds to win 27-24.
4. The Cowboys' Amos Marsh returned a kickoff 101 yards and Mike Gaechter returned a pass interception 100 yards, both for touchdowns and both in the fourth quarter to beat Philadelphia 41-19 on October 14, 1962. It was the first time in NFL history that two 100-yard runs had been made in the same game, much less by the same team in the same quarter.
5. Roger Staubach helped the Cowboys beat the Dolphins 24-3 in Super Bowl VI. Staubach was also named Super Bowl MVP.
6. Calvin Hill became the first Dallas player to rush for 1,000 yards when he gained 111 on Dec. 9, 1972 against the Washington Redskins. He wound up with 1,036 yards for the season.
7. The Cowboys selected Ed "Too Tall" Jones, a 6-9, 260-pound defensive end from Tennessee State.
8. Quarterback Troy Aikman.
9. Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin in 1991.
10. On Sept. 21, 1998, Deion Sanders returned a punt 59 yards for a touchdown in the first half, then ran back an interception 71 yards for a score in the fourth quarter against the New York Giants.
11. He broke Joe Montana’s 86 wins in the 1980s.
12. Oct. 27, 2002, Smith burst up the middle on an 11-yard run against Seattle to move past Walter Payton's mark of 16,726 career rushing yards.
13. Bob Lilly (#74) on November 23, 1975.
14. The Cowboys beat their former quarterback Craig Morton and the Denver Broncos, 27-10 on January 15, 1978.
15. Randy White, DT, and Harvey Martin, DE.
Who was the best Dallas quarterback of all time?See results without voting
Other NFL Football Trivia Sites
More by this Author
Think you know NFL Super Bowl trivia? I’ve put together some sports trivia questions from the world of professional football that I think any football fan would enjoy. Good luck!
Think you know Chicago Bears football trivia? I’ve put together some sports trivia questions from the history of the Chicago Bears professional football. Try the quiz and see how you do.
The free playing card clip art below comes in three categories; a complete set of regular playing cards for anyone who want to add their own effects, a “puzzle” effect and a “stretched” effect.