Campfire Monkey Bread - Easy Camping Recipes and Ideas for Kids
Easy Camping Recipes Ideas for Kids and Adults
When you are camping with kids it's always nice to have camp food and meals that they will like, and even better - camp food that they can help make.
This easy Monkey Bread camping recipes idea for kids is a great campfire treat that serves double duty. It can be a breakfast bread treat or an evening campfire treat. Either way, it is a recipe they can make themselves - adding to their camping fun.
Adult campers are always looking for camping activities for kids that will help them enjoy the camping tripl, and letting them prepare some of the camp food they will be eating is a good way to enhance their camping experience.
*A link to a printable version of this Fun and Easy Camping Recipes for Kids is provided below
Campfire Monkey Bread - Easy Camping Recipes for Kids
Monkey Bread is an old Boy Scout favorite that takes very little effort and camping cookware, and it works great as an evening campfire treat that everyone will enjoy. (every evening in camp should have a campfire treat)
As an added bonus, Monkey Bread is made using a Dutch oven and hot campfire coals; two must-have components of a good camping trip. It can be made in a camp oven, but it's just not the same experience for young campers.
The bonus for the adult campers is that it doesn't take a lot of prep, or make a lot of mess. If you foil-line the Dutch oven, the only real clean-up is one small saucepan used to melt the butter. Additionally, once it is set on the campfire coals, it doesn't have to be messed with again until it's almost done. And this easy recipe uses very few ingredients; sugar, butter, ground cinnamon, and biscuit dough - that's it. easy as pie.
How to make Campfire Monkey Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. ground cinnamon - *you can use more or less, depending on taste
- 1 stick butter, or 8 tbsp. margarine
- 2 biscuit doughs per camper - the refrigerated kind, like Pillsbury Biscuits
Camping cookware and disposables:
- 1 Dutch oven
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- 1 small sauce pan
Note: The Monkey Bread will be baked in a Dutch oven. The kid's part of making this camping recipe is simple and quick, so before starting you should prep the Dutch oven - line with foil, create an area of hot coals in the campfire, and set the Dutch oven on them to pre-heat. You can melt the butter in a small sauce pan, and set aside, while the kids are doing their part.
- Mix the sugars and ground cinnamon in a paper or plastic bag, (paper works best), shake to mix well.
- Have each young camper cut their biscuit doughs into quarters - for young kids you might have to demonstrate once
- For more then two kids - divide the cinnamon/sugar mix into a couple bags, then let the kids put their biscuit pieces in the mix, close the bag, and shake vigorously until each chunk of dough is well coated with the cinnamon/sugar mix.
- The dough pieces are now officially Monkey Bread - the kids can toss them into the Dutch oven, or arrange them neatly, it doesn't really matter. Important: Make sure the Dutch oven is pre-heated.
- When all biscuit pieces are in, pour the melted butter over the entire batch - cover and cook.
- This easy camping recipes for kids will take about 30-35 minutes at about 350`, which equates to 10-12 briquet-sized hot coals under the oven, and about 12-14 on top
- After about 15 minutes, rotate the Dutch oven about 90` and replenish the coals on the top and bottom.
- At about 25-30 minutes, check the bread, it should be done. You will be able to tell because it will be puffy and slightly browned. If not, bake another 5 or 10 minutes.
Dutch Oven Clean-up Tip
You can use foil to line your Dutch oven for a lot of recipes like this. But an even easier solution is to use pre-made Dutch oven liners.
The Dutch oven liners shown are a great deal, but there are other choices available too!
Just look down on the Amazon listing to see both foil and parchment paper choices, and of course there are larger quantity packages that will give you even better prices.
Make your Monkey Bread a Real Campfire Treat
You can make this fun and easy camping recipes for kids a special evening campfire treat with these extra touches.
- While the Monkey Bread is baking, have your young campers get themselves a small stick - about pencil-thick and 12-18 inches long. Show them how to strip a couple inches of bark and sharpen one end. These will be their "spears" to be used for snagging the Monkey bread from the Dutch oven.
- When the Monkey Bread is done, remove it from the fire and take the lid off. Then let the kids gather round and "spear" their campfire treats right out of the Dutch oven - it's a lot more fun and participatory than just handing them out on plates. **Just make sure you supervise them - after all it is hot food coming out of a hot cast iron Dutch oven.
Top of the evening in style with a cup of hot chocolate, and make it a campfire treat they will remember for a long time.
Illustrated and Printable Monkey Bread recipe
See an Illustrated and Printable Monkey Bread recipe, plus tons more camping activities for kids resources at:
More camping recipes kids love:
Dirt and Worms Pie
Camping Dessert for kids
Just a little prep at home and a supply of paper towels are all that is needed for this camping dessert that doubles as a camping activity because you can let the kids create it themselves.
Hobo Baggie Omelet
A camping breakfast for kids
Easy prep and easy clean-up, plus the fun of letting the kids make their own, make this camp breakfast a kid-favorite.
About the Author
The author behind Fun Camping Recipes for Kids, and camping activities for kids is Gus, an avid life-long tent camper that has camped in the mountains and on the plains, and in all four seasons - from 100+ to -10 degree weather. As a kid, with adults on week-long bear-hunting camps, and as an adult Boy Scout leader.
Check out Campingwithgus.com to see more from Gus
More by this Author
Crazy and fun - Dessert Burritos: Easy Camping Recipes Ideas for Kids that they can make. So easy to make, this campfire treat will be a favorite camping activities for kids on all your camping trips.
How to make Worms and Dirt Pie: Easy Camping Recipes for Kids that they can help make. Camping with kids means fun and camping activities for kids that let them get involved.
See how to make Hobo Baggie Omelets - one of many fun camping recipes for kids that they can make themselves. Camping with kids is more fun when you have camp food and camp meals that they like.