Best players in Real Madrid history
The best Real Madrid players of all time
What Real Madrid fan does not remember Di Stefano, Hugo Sanchez and Zidane, just to mention 3 historical figures of the club? What can we say about Raul Gonzalez or the club’s newest star, Cristiano Ronaldo? These are elite players who have stood out from the rest for their technique and wonderful football ability.
Let’s run through the history of some of the greatest players of the club who have amazed fans and won important awards during their career at Real Madrid.
Don't forget to vote in the poll to decide who is the greatest players ever to have played for Real Madrid!
Vote in the poll!
Who is the best Real Madrid player of all time?See results without voting
Real Madrid’s “pichichis”
The player with the most “pichichis” (Spanish league top scorer) while at Real Madrid was the extraordinary Alfredo Di Stefano, winning the award on 5 occasions. The last player who has received it so far was Ronaldo during the 2003/04 season.
The following is a list of Real Madrid players who have won the award, the number of goals and season:
· Alfredo Di Stéfano (5 seasons): 27 (1953/54); 24 (1955/56); 31 (1956/57); 19 (1957/58) and 23 (1958/59)
· Ferenc Puskás (4 seasons): 26 (1959/60); 27 (1960/61); 26 (1962/63) and 20 (1963/64)
· Hugo Sánchez (4 seasons): 22 (1985/86); 34 (1986/87); 29 (1987/88) and 38 (1989/90)
· Raúl González (2 seasons): 25 (1998/99) and 24 (2000/01)
· Amancio Amaro (2 seasons): 14 (1968/69) and 16 (1969/70)
· Ruud Van Nistelrooy: 25 (2006/07)
· Manuel Olivares: 16 (1932/33)
· Pahiño: 28 (1951/52)
· Juanito: 17 (1983/84)
· Emilio Butragueño: 19 (1990/91)
· Iván Zamorano: 28 (1994/95)
· Ronaldo: 24 (2003/04)
Great Ronaldo goals and plays
So far, 11 Real Madrid goalkeepers have won the Zamora Trophy (lowest goal-to-games ratio) for his performance during the season. The first goalkeeper awarded was Ricardo Zamora in 1931/32 and 1932/33. Iker Casillas, Real Madrid and Spanish Football Team goalkeeper, has been the last player to win the prize during the 2007/08 season.
Real Madrid goalkeepers who have been awarded with this prize for their effort and the lowest “goal-to-games” ratio during the season:
· Ricardo Zamora (2 seasons): 1931/32 and 1932/33
· José Bañón: 1945/46
· Juan Alonso: 1954/55
· José Vicente Train (3 times): 1960/61, 1962/63 and 1963/64
· José Araquistáin: 1961/62
· Antonio Betancort (2 times): 1964/65 and 1966/67
· Andrés Junquera: 1967/68
· Miguel Ángel González: 1975/76
· Agustín Rodríguez: 1982/83
· Paco Buyo (twice): 1987/88 and 1991/92
· Iker Casillas: 2007/08
Great Iker Casillas saves
Five Real Madrid players have won the Ballon d’Or or Golden Ball, one of the most important awards that a football player may aspire to worldwide. Alfredo Di Stefano, one of the most important figures of the club, was the first player to receive this prize, and the last, the Italian Fabio Cannavaro in 2006.
Real Madrid players who have been awarded the Ballon d’Or:
· Alfredo Di Stéfano 1957
· Raymond Kopa 1958
· Alfredo Di Stéfano 1959
· Luis Figo 2000
· Ronaldo 2002
· Fabio Cannavaro 2006
FIFA World Player of the Year
The 2000 season was great for Real Madrid regarding the FIFA trophy. For 3 consecutive years (2001, 2002 and 2003) and then in 2006, different players of the club received the award as the season’s best player, granted by the Fédération Internationale de Football Association:
· Luís Figo 2001
· Ronaldo 2002
· Zinedine Zidane 2003
· Fabio Cannavaro 2006
European Golden Boot
The Golden Boot or Shoe was given to one of the most representative players of the club, the skillful Hugo Sanchez in the 1989/90 season, during which he scored a total of 38 goals.
Great overhead Hugo Sanchez goal
- Real Madrid Tickets for Santiago Bernabeu
Tickets for all matches at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
How much do you know about Real Madrid player records? 5 quick-fire questions
More by this Author
Outstanding players in FC Barcelona history - top scorers, top goalkeepers, awards won and a quick quiz to check how much you know about the club's history!