Nietes triumps vs Salguero
Nietes outboxes Salguero
- Pride of Bacolod City Donnie Nietes (30-1-3, 16 KOs) defeats by unanimous decision. Mexican challenger Felipe Salguero (16-3-1, 11 KOs) to retain his WBO light flyweight belt.
- Boxrec records that this is Nietes 19th consecutive wins without a loss.
- He puts a stop to Salguero's 16th match winning streak.
Two boxers capture belts
- Two Filipinos were able to capture regional belts.
- Milan Melindo (27-0-0, 11 KOs) knocks out Jesus Geles (13-3-1, 5 KOs) for the WBO International flyweight belt.
- Genesis Servania (18-0-0 6KOs) TKOs Genaro Garcia (38-9-0 22KOs) in the 12th round for the vacant WBC International Silver super bantamweight title.
- More, click details.
Nietes predicts a do or die bout with challenger Felipe Salguero
- After a careful analysis, Donnie ‘Ahas’ Nietes team concludes Mexican Felipe Salguero isn't a pushover and would put up a do or die show.
- Nietes himself admitted his coming encounter with Salguero would likely be one of the toughest fights in his whole career.
- Filipino WBO light flyweight champion Nietes (29-1-3, KOs 16) meets his able challenger WBO and IBF No. 7 light flyweight Salguero (16-2-1, KOs 11) as main protagonists of Pinoy Pride 14- the night of the champions on June 2 at the Resorts World Hotel and Casino, Pasay City, Philippines.
- This is Salguero’s first world title bout.
- Nietes, 30, told the Manila Times that Salguero is a dangerous opponent. Salguero got scientific and technical moves, but Nietes isn’t bothered. He may be the toughest boxer I will face but I won’t back down, Nietes said.
- Nietes assured his countrymen to defend and retain his belt, but promised no knockout.
- The supporting casts pit 24-year old unbeaten Filipino Milan Melindo (26-0-0, KOs 10) versus 24-year old Columbian Jesus Geles (13-2-1, KOs 5),
- and 20 years old Filipino Genesis Servania (17-0-0, KOs 5) against 34 years of age Mexican Genaro Garcia (38-8, KOs 22)
- Melindo defends his WBO international flyweight championship in an scheduled 12 rounds.
- At stake for Servania and Garcia in another 12 rounds is the WBC international silver super-bantamweight belt. Garcia promised to avenge his namesake who was beaten by Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista March 2012 by bowing to hand Servania his first loss.
- The visiting fighters and teams have already landed and ready to face their Filipino counterparts.
- Pinoy Pride 14 airs live over Balls HD ppv and TFC, with livestreaming on TFC now PPV.
- Local fans can watch the fights on Channel 2 at 10:30 a.m. on June 3, with replay on Studio 23 at 1:30 p.m.
Source: The Manila Times
THIS is the bitter-sweet result that happened to the GORRES-MELENDEZ boxing bout of Top Rank's Card in Mandalay Bay's House of Blues boxing arena last Saturday night, Nov. 13, 2009. It's sweet for the Philippine Bantamweight slugger- Z "The Dream" Gorres (30-2-2-15 KOs) because he won convincingly via a 10-round decision over his Columbian foe- Luis Melendez (26-4-1-21 KOs). However- it's bitter for him because seconds after his victory verdict was announced, he collapsed and lost consciousness inside the ring. He was laid in a stretcher and brought to the University Medical Center where he's currently undergoing surgery for head trauma.
Updates about "Z" The Dream Gorres
Gorres' physical condition
Mike Sloan- a reporter- had said about the physical condition of Gorres that ..."it's uncertain if the solid bantamweight contender will be able to leave University Medical Center alive and well". And from the Inquirer Sports, we see a ray of hope when it stated: "The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Sunday that Gorres was in stable condition after undergoing treatment for a subdural hematoma. He had undergone surgery ... to reduce awelling to the head and is expected to be in hospital for the next few days".
Appeal for prayers
Health is wealth. What will we do with the grass if the horse is already gone? I pray that Almighty God will help the doctors to do wonders to cure his sickness. There's nothing impossible with God. I believe HE will do something beneficial for this young boxer. His young wife and small kids are in the Philippines- staring at the blank wall and waiting for good news about the well-being of their father. It's truly a pity watching his wife- Duchess in the local TV talked about her apprehensions of the dangers of boxing and now she's faced with the reality. Let's all pray together for boxer Z "The Dream" Gorres' salvation. He's but 27 years of age and badly needed by his loved ones.
Blow by blow account
- Here follows what really transfired during the Gorres-Melendez battle under the bantamweight division.
- This likewise answers your curiosity why Gorres collapsed and lost consciousness.
- To quote the Pound4Pound Web Site: "Z Gorres impressed the judges and the crowd by dominating fellow bantamweight Luis Melendez over 9 and a half one-sided rounds.
- But the final half round stunned the once boisterous crowd when Melendez (26-4-1) dropped Gorres in the 10th with a left hook to the head.
- Gorres got to his feet and survived the round, but barely. Through 9 rounds Gorres (30-2-2) controlled Melendez with a steady diet of jab, left cross.
- Gorres nearly ended the fight early when he floored Melendez with a left cross in the third.
- The schooling continued into the 10th when Melendez landed the punch that nearly changed the outcome.
- Following the fight Gorres collapsed in his corner and was taken out on a stretcher. The final scorecards read 98-90, 98-90 and 97-91".
Sources: SecondsOut.Com, Inquirer Sports, Pound4Pound.Com
Update about Gorres' health
- Here is a more precise condition of Z "The Dream" Gorres according to the INQUIRER GLOBAL NATION:
- "Z Gorres has been medically-induced into a coma at the University Medical Center in Las Vegas yesterday after his skull was opened to drain the fluid in his brain to relieve pressure.
- Dr. Allan Recto- who visited Gorres in the hospital, said Gorres remains in critical condition.
- Recto said he was told by Dr. Michael Seiss, the critical care specialist attending Gorres, that Gorres would be in coma for 3 to 5 days and 'hopefully he will return to consciousness'.
- ALA Gym President Michael Aldeguer and Vice President Dennis Canete are in the hospital to monitor Gorres' condition.
- ALA Chairman Antonio L. Aldeguer, who has nurtured Gorres' boxing career since Gorres was 9 years old, has asked for prayers for Gorres' recovery.
- 'Gorres is a very good family man with a loving wife and 4 children.
- He is very kind and gentle person.
- A rare human being.
- Please ask the Lord not to take him yet. We need your prayers for him', Aldeguer said in a text message".
FOR a fresh update on boxer Z "The Dream" Gorres, please log on to:
More by this Author
The pertinent kidney law in the Philippines is thoroughly discussed. Vital functions of the kidneys are explained.
This hub provides unlimited opportunities to help sailors find jobs. With ads published, applicants are guided where to look for their particular need. Readers may post reactions.
Basic information about pinworms, hookworms, threadworms and tapeworms. How to avoid them. Medicine for treatment.
No comments yet.