Finding your way out of the bush!
1) Lost in the bush without a compass? To figure out which direction you're heading, drive a meter long stick into the ground where its shadow is visible.
2) Mark the tip of the shadow with a stone. Wait ten minutes and place a second stone at the new tip of the shadow.
3) You're stones should now be in a straight line. If you place your left foot on the first stone (west) and your right foot on the second stone (east), you will be facing north. This fact is true anywhere on the Earth. Nature offers many other means to help you navigate:
4) Look for moss growth. In Australia, moss is more lush on the northern face of trees.
5) Climb a hill to scout great distances. Look for towns roads or campfires.
6) If you hear rushing water, find it's source and follow it downstream. It's more likely that other campers will visit a river or body of water than other landmarks. You'll also have an unlimited supply of water.
7) Even if you can't see a way out, finding other people may save your life. With any luck you will be celebrating your bush-land escape by cracking open some beers and buying a compass.
- Always brandish a stick near swamps and rivers. While not much of a weapon it will give you an extra couple of meters of reach to ward of angry crocs and snakes.
- While unappealing, your urine is safe to drink if you run out of water and get severely dehydrated. It is 95% water and sterile when fresh. But don't keep it in your bottle for long, as it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Avoid all mushrooms unless your an expert. Many types of fungi are poisonous and can kill you.
More by this Author
As the small island of Haiti trembles on the brink of chaos, a ghost from the superstitious past returns... One year ago, more than 300,000 crushed bodies littered Haiti after a savage earthquake literally ripped the...
The best thing about these prisons? You're not in them. Worst part? You could be... La Sante Prison France Either French crooks are soft or La Sante - which roughly translates as "health" in French - is a...
Suffer from red, blotchy, irritated skin on your face? There is a really good chance you have whats known as Seborrheic Dermatitis. Below is how you can get rid of it overnight.