Fun Facts about Staying Fit
Getting fit involves more than just reading this article, but we all need to start somewhere. Staying fit comes easier than getting fit, according to most people. Here are some fun facts about getting fit.
- An online personal fitness trainer costs about $49 per month. These services usually include chat rooms, nutrition advice, and email contact with your coach. If your lifestyle precludes you from getting to the gym on a regular basis, a virtual coach might be the answer.
- Muscle Confusion workouts continue to increase in popularity. Yahoo.com reports over 88 thousand hits on the phrase "Muscle Confusion." As opposed to repeating the same workout day after day, Muscle Confusion workouts vary the activities in order to keep your body from adapting too quickly. We previously referred to this epiphany as "cross-training". For example, a marathon runner intersperses speed work, cycling, and weight training with traditional long distance running workouts. This strategy offers mental and physical benefits. Your body must continuously adapt to new stresses and your mind receives varying amounts of stimulation. You don't get bored as quickly.
- Muscle burns more calories than fat. Replacing your body fat with muscle tissue will increase your burn rate even when you're sitting on the couch.
- Do something fun. No exercise program will hold your interest if you find it boring or overly stressful. Don't invest in a $2000 road bike if you can't deal with traffic whizzing past your left shoulder.
- Listen to your body. It's OK to take a day off. Every athlete needs a mental health day once in a while.
- One pound of body fat represents about 3500 calories of exercise. Generally, running consumes about 100 calories per mile and cycling about 20 calories per mile. The numbers vary with speed, body weight, and fitness level.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE12
Data Hiding is an aspect of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) that allows developers to protect private data and hide implementation details. In this tutorial we examine basic data hiding techniques in Java.
Ever been to a NASCAR race? I thought not. Here are my top 10 reasons why NASCAR racing doesn't rock.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE5
A useful text editor is an essential component of any personal computer. Every day we need to make notes, compose documents, and record vital pieces of information. We depend on our text editor. Microsoft provided...