Jon-E Hand Warmer
The original old time hand warmer for keeping your hands nice and toasty even in the coldest of days is the Jon-E handwarmer. Unlike many of the modern chemical handwarmers that are one time use or only last for a short while before needing to be boiled and recharged, the Jon-E handwarmer runs off of fuel and lasts for hours on end.
Although you initially lite the wick, the Jon-E is actually a flameless handwarmer. After liting it you simply place it in it's sack and then put it in a coat pocket where it will stay hot for several hours on just one fueling.
Many swear by Jon-E and scoring a vintage one is a prized posession since the old time models seem to work better than the new ones.
How To Lite A Jon-E
To get your Jon-E hand warmer started is pretty straight forward:
1. Remove the cap from the unit.
2. Remove the wick by gently pulling on the sides or working it back and forth from side to side being carefull not to touch the actual wick or bend the metal pieces.
3. Slowly and carefully fill the hand warmer with Jon-E brand hand warmer fuel by pouring it into the hand warmer where the cotton looking material is. Make sure not to spill any or overfill the warmer.
4. Place the wick back onto the hand warmer.
5. Lite the wick with a kitchen lighter or match and let it burn for a awhile, it will have a large flame during this time so you want to have it on a clean open surface.
6. After a minute or two blow out the flame, if you look closely at the wick you will see that it is glowing red hot. This is normal and means that your handwarmer is ready to use.
7. Place the cap back on the Jon-E and then place it in the bag. It's important that you put it back in the bag since this will help limit the air flow and keep the hand warmer from getting to hot.
Video On How To Lite a Jon-E Warmer
More by this Author
The Orbex Jon-E Hand Warmer is a classic passed down from generation to generation. These are fuel based hand warmers that you actually lite up and will run for hours on a single fill. To use an Orxben or Jon-e style...