How to Launch a Boat
Things to remember when launching a boat.
Launching a boat for those that do not go boating on a regular basis can be intimidating especially during a hot summer day when there is tons of other people at the launch ramp all wanting to also hit the lake or river and go have fun.
If you follow these basic steps you will get on the water quickly, safely, and without being one of those people that you can see in some of the videos below. Included on this page are several tip videos and examples of launching a boat, as well as some bad launches....follow the basics and do what they do.
Bass boat ready to launch and go fishing
Boat Parking Support
Example of a busy day at the boat ramp
Boat Launching Tips
1. Stay in the parking lot to prepare your boat prior to going to the ramp.
2. Make sure to put your boat plug in the boat, so you don’t fill up with water.
3. Undo both trailer straps on the back left and right corners of the boat.
4. Remove the motor bracket if applicable
5. Load the boat with all your stuff, ice chests, fishing poles, wake boards, etc away from ramp.
6. If you are by yourself make sure to have a rope tied off on the boat or use the trailer strap depending on your boat and rig. Launching by yourself is easy when you have a system that works for your set up.
7. Put the car in park when you stop and get out on the ramp to unhook the trailer from the boat.
8. If you are with someone else, have them back the truck down slowly and start the boat as the engine goes under water and drive the boat off the trailer
9. Pull the boat to the end of the dock or off the docks to wait to pick up the rest of your friends.
10. Always keep your eyes aware of other boats, trucks, and people when around the launch ramp to prevent potential accidents.
Don't forget if you are just getting out again for the first time each year to take it slow when launching, idling out of the marina, and when passing other boaters, the worst way to start out a fun filled day on the water is with a boating accident or angering the marina folks by having a huge wake from going to fast.
If you live in Northern California then you have the opportunity to go boating and fishing on one of the most interesting bodies of water in the country the California Delta. Here is a list and details on some of the best California delta boat ramps.
Launch a boat by yourself video
Boat Launching Video Tips
A couple of video example of boat launches going bad.
Its is good to know how deep your trailer needs to go when reloading the boat back on, otherwise you end up doing what this guy did and have to reset the traile
Places to Launch a Boat
- California Delta
California Delta Boat Launching Locations of the best boat ramps for fisherman, wake boarders, and others that just enjoy to go cruising in their boat on the California Delta.
- Clear Lake California
There are many great locations to launch your boat at Clear Lake if you are going to Lake County for boating or fishing, it is free to launch, but you will need an inspection permit from the county to use your boat on the lake.
- Oregon North Coast
Launching a boat in the Oregon North Coast is a great way to enjoy the wildlife and take advantage of the outdoor activities the state has to offer. From the Columbia and Wilson Rivers to the Tillamook, Nehalem, Netarts, and Nestucca Bays, the Oregon
- Lake Amistad - Del Rio Texas
Lake Amistad is a vacation and sporting destination for people that enjoy boating and fishing. The fishing in Lake Amistad is nationally known and bass fisherman launch there boats across the lake in pursuit of finding giant fish. If you are planning
- Lake Okeechobee - Florida
Going on a fishing trip to Florida check out Lake Okeechobee the largest freshwater lake in the state and home to some of the biggest largemouth bass in the country. Lake Okeechobee has boat ramps, tackle shops and marinas all around the massive lake
- The Red River
Check out the home of the 2012 Bass Master Classic - the Red River around Shreveport Louisiana. This location offers lots of additional attractions to enjoy from just fishing due to the size of the city of Shreveport compared to most fishing towns. E
- Lake Hartwell
Check out the great destinations around Lake Hartwell for boating and fishing. Enjoy the diverse fishery and have fun exploring this vast lake along the South Carolina and Georgia state border.
Bad way to load a jetski after a day of fun on the lake. If you can afford the jetski, make sure and get a proper trailer.
More Jetski Launch Ramp Fun
More by this Author
Bass fishing is a way to enjoy spending time in the outdoors out at your local lake or river. Fishing for largemouth and smallmouth bass continue to always prove to be a fun and yet challenging pursuit
This collection of 5 spring bass fishing lures will make sure you put more fish in the boat this year. Catch a trophy large mouth or small mouth bass using these proven fish catching lures.
Building a mobile application by yourself is possible with the "what you see is what you get" mobile app creator tools that are available. Whether you want to make an app for your business, blog, or even just your band...
No comments yet.