Light Sport Aircraft
What's so great about light sport aircraft that makes everyone crazy about them? Well, you sure know that they are more affordable and easier to fly than the other airplanes, otherwise you would not be here.
But there is a lot more than that. We will explore now in this hub.
Why Light Sport Aircraft
Besides the affordable price, there are several other reasons why people prefer this kind of airplanes:
- Easy controls. The controls of a typical light sport aircraft follow standards and are not as confusing as those of many other airplanes.
- Good cruise speed. Most microlights or experimental aircraft can barely exceed 100 km/h. The light sport aircraft's cruise speed is often more than 200 or 250 km/h.
- Comfortable cockpit. There is enough space for the pilot and the passenger(s).
- High Safety Requirements. The light sport aircraft are very safety compilant and accepted even outside USA.
There is no doubt - the light sport aircraft offers one of the best and shortest ways to flying. It's up to you if you are going to choose this route.
How To Buy Light Sport Aircraft
Before planning to buy, you'd better think about obtaining sport pilot license. Don't worry it's at least twice easier and faster than qualifying for a private pilot's license! Here is what you need:
- Medical cerification or driver's license
- You must be at least 17 before you can attend the test
- You need to obtain a student's pilot license from FAA
- Your written and spoken English must be good
Once you pass the written and practical tests, you can get your license.
Buying a light sport aircraft is easy if you have the money. The prices start from $10 - $15k for a second hand airplane and can exceed $250k. You can buy from local manufacturers classified sites. EBay is also a good option.
Where To Learn More
The topic is large and you might be interested in some further reading. Here are some of the best resources to visit:
- All about ultralight airplanes - includes a lot of information and specific acrticles about light sport aircraft
- Light sport aircraft on Wikipedia
- The Complete Idiot's Guide To Sport Flying on Amazon
These resources should be enough for your flying start.
Watch a cool video
More by this Author
Considering you can buy toys for $2 or $3 bucks from the local store why would you want to make ones yoruself? The answer is not to save money. Here is why: Making toys is fun. When was the last time when you actually...
Are the private airplanes only for the richest? So many people dream to fly but can't even imagine owning a private jet. Besides that flying with some of these machines rare gives really fulfilling experience. It...
Who said that the benches in your garden need to be boring? Yes, of course, they need to be functional and affordable... but most people have them boring, too. Well, here are 7 excellent ideas for outdoor garden...