"Official Football Terminology For Green- Horns"
"Official Football Terminology For Green-horns"
"Official Football Terminology for Green-Horns"
I thought that I would share and enlighten some of the women and a few men that aren't familiar with pro- football jargon or football terminology. I'm not a pro at this but these are the words and definition I came up with on my own, I didn't have an official book of football terminology, but I have been involved with football since 1970; so I do know a little about the terminology. I must warn you there may be some words and definition's that I might not remember but I gave it my best try, the I had to come up my definition of what the definitions mean; and I think I did a pretty good job for a women.
1.Coin toss or flip: Let's us know which team will receive the football at the start of the game.
2.The Kick off: When the other team kicks the ball to the receiving team.
3. Out of Bounds: player catches ball, but run outside the playing field.
4.Interception: when the opposite team catches the football that was intended for the other team.
5.Fumble: when either team player drop the ball.
6.Lines of scrimmage: is where the ball started from.
7.Downs: that how many down the teams has before they have to give the ball up or make a 1st down.
8.Touch down: When either team gets the ball beyond the goal line in the end- zone.
9.Field goal: When the kicker of either team kick the football cross the goal post and score three points.
10. Personal foul: Some type of body contact against another player of the opposite team.
11. Ineligible receiver: means a receiver down field wasn't eligible to receive the ball that was thrown.
12. Encroachment: The defense is offside.
13. clipping: when a player hits below the knees.
14.Tackle: Is a action taken toward against opposite player, to stop a action.
15. Sacked: When the quarter back is brought down, before he can release the ball.
16. Off sides: When a player gets off the line before the ball is snapped.
17. Punt: Is when either team kicks the football to the receiving team.
18. Receiver: Is the player that the kicker kicks too, or the player the the quarter back throws too.
!9. Quarter Back: Is the player that always throws the football to the receiver.
20.Tackler: Is a player that attacks and tackle, the Quarter back or receivers from the opposing team.
21. Fair catch: Is when the ball is kicked to the receiver and he kneels down.
22. Penalty: when either player commits an injunction against another player causing a penalty.
23. Football: Is the oval shape ball, that the players play with and sometimes call a pigskin.
24. Yards Or yardages: Is the yards accumulated with each down, made by the team.
25. Football helmet: Is the hard head covering the players wears to keep from getting head injuries.
26.Time -Out: Is called by either team by holding their hands up in T-formation.
27.End -zone: Is behind the goal line for the touch down or touch back.
28. Score: Is the score made by a touch down, field goal or conversion.
29. Line backer: Is a fancy word for tackler.
30. Passing: When the quarter back throws the ball to the receiver.
31.Blitzing: when defensive team's players are quickly charging the opposite teams, quarter back or receiver.
32.Ejected: It's when a player is thrown out of the game.
33. Referee: are officials in black and white, that calls the penalties of the game.
34. Yellow -gold flag: Is the penalty flag that the referee throws when there's a penalty.
35. Red flag: Is the challenge flag thrown by either coaches of the football teams.
36. Onside kick: Is a desperate measure the team takes to try and get the football back from the other team.
37.A lost challenge: It's when the coach has thrown the red flag, and the officials stand on their first decision.. that means the team challenged the decision lost a time- out and doesn't have but two left of the three.
38.Recover: means the opposite team, the team gets the ball back that they dropped.39.
39. Possession: When the either team has the football.
40. Lost time-out: means the team that challenged the officials lose a time out, if the official ruling still stands.
41.Un-sportman Like Conduct :When a player causes unnecessary roughness to another player.
42. False start: When a player moves to soon, or before the ball is snapped.
43. The red zone: Inside the opposing teams twenty yard line.
45. Horse collar: When a player catches another player in the neck of his jersey from behind, this is cause for a penalty.
46. Face mask: When a player grabs the face mask of another player, this is also a penalty.
47. Roughing the kicker: when another player runs into the kicker of the football.
I hope you all enjoyed my terminology of the football jargon, but as I said I might have neglected some of the words or definition but I did my best, for those of you that want more information do a search and get the rest of your answers.
Benny Faye Douglass
More by this Author
The Dr. Jekyll and Hyde syndrome is condition that wreck havoc in your life and in your relationships.