Plyometrics for MMA
What are Plyometrics?
Plyometrics are a type of exercise that utilizes explosive bodyweight exercises to build up anaerobic capacity and strength. These are great exercises because they put a ton of strain on the muscles as well as the cardiovascular system. Most plyometrics exercises will also require a good balance and spatial awareness, two things that any MMA fighter needs. Because of this, plyometric exercises are very widely used in mixed martial arts.
While mixed martial artists benefit greatly from using plyometrics, other athletes can see significant gains with them as well. They are especially useful for people training for high-endurance sports or sports that require a lot of explosive strength. Soccer and football are two good examples.
Plyometrics for MMA
There are a lot of good plyometric exercises for MMA, so I can't go over all of them. I will, however, list some of my favorite ones.
- Stair jumps: These will work your glutes, abdominals, and quads very extensively. You should start off by jumping only two stairs at once, and then work your way up to three or four. Remember to come down into the squat position when you land or it'll be difficult to maintain balance.
- Depth jumps: Depth jumps are a classic plyometric exercise. You tense the muscle in as you jump off a small platform and then explode up onto a bigger one. It's fairly easy to injure yourself with these, so make sure you do them correctly. If it starts to hurt at any time, then you should stop.
- Medicine Ball Side Throw: This is a great exercise that'll work your core, specifically the abdominals and obliques. You'll need a partner to do this one effectively, although it is possible alone (you'll need something to throw the ball against, though.)
- Plyometric push-ups: These are fantastic for working your upper body, but you'll want to make sure you don't injure your shoulders while doing them. These are also known as septh push ups. I can't stress how important it is to warm up properly before doing this exercise.
Train BJJ At Home
- Click Here for BJJ Techs
Learn to Grapple is the greatest online resource for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu techniques, philosophy, and tips and tricks. We have a large selection of videos and descriptions of techniques that'll take your BJJ game to the next level! All for FREE.
How Plyometrics Work
Pylometrics is unique in that it doesn't just train power or agility, but instead does both. The idea behind it is that when you contract the muscle just enough so that it doesn't bend and then explode off of it, you'll gain a stronger motion and therefore additional power. Training your body to move in this way is useful and will allow you to commit to more powerful exercises. This is why the exercises utilize motions like depth jumps and depth push-ups; these will require that your muscle partially contracts and then explodes to complete the second motion.
The major downside of pylometrics, mentioned below, is the relatively high chance of injury.
Injuries are common with plyometrics because they put a lot of stress on the muscles, especially the elasticity of them. In order to prevent injury, you'll want to make sure that you do all of the exercises slowly at first. It's also important to use proper form. If you do sustain an injury, elevate the limb and place ice on it. If there is excessive swelling or pain, then go to the doctor because you may have damaged connective tissue or muscle.
- How to Punch Faster and Improve Hand Speed
Punch faster and improve your hand speed for boxing, mma, or kick boxing. Learn how to put combos together fast like the pros.
- Bodyweight Workouts for MMA - Bodyweight Exercises
Being able to effectively control your body is absolutely essential for the athlete looking to compete in mixed martial arts. If you want to increase your balance, coordination, and strength in relation to your body then follow this MMA Bodyweight Wo
- Endurance Training for MMA
MMA requires a strong endurance training regime in order to succeed in the sport. Learn how to increase your endurance for mixed martial arts by following these training tips to increase your cardio and gas tank.
- Best MMA Fighters of All Time
Learn about the top MMA fighters in the history of the sport, all of whom were at the top of their division and even the pound for pound rankings during their runs. These fighters are considered by many to be legends, striking fear into their opponen
- MMA Strength Training Workouts
Core strength training is important for MMA because it'll help you recover from strikes and will allow you to dictate the pace. If you're stronger than your opponent, you'll be able to outwork him on the ground and finish submissions more effectively
- Circuit Training for MMA
Circuit training is high intensity and combines both anaerobic and aerobic exercise. Users will typically move between several stations throughout the circuit, with little break inbetween each exercise. ...
- Home MMA Workout and Training
Getting a good workout for MMA is important, but sometimes it's too expensive to do in a gym. Follow this guide to find out how you can do your MMA workouts and strength training from home. This is a fantastic guide for anyone who's mind is blown by
- MMA Conditioning Workout
Conditioning in MMA is very important, which is evident if you've watched any fights recently. Many fighters lack great conditioning and this is an enormous weakness that you can exploit if you're well conditioned. Follow these MMA conditioning worko
More by this Author
Find out what would happen in a fight with a killer whale against a great white shark. Both are powerful predators, but only one can come out on top. Find out who wins in the killer whale vs great white fight.
Cheap MMA gloves and MMA sparring gloves. Train like the fighters by using professional MMA gloves. Designed for competition, sparring, and heavy bag work, there are a large variety of gloves. Find out more MMA glove...
Find out how to strengthen your legs with a variety of exercises that will hit them from all sorts of different angles. Find out how to get big, strong legs now.