Football's Greatest World Cup goals-Diego Maradona
Great World Cup goals
Diego Maradona is many peoples idea of the greatest footballer ever to have graced the game. Always a player of great skill, he always seemed to control every game he played where many of his great goals were decisive, and this was certainly the case in the 1986 World Cup. here is a small series of some of the best goals I can remember from past World Cups.
Yes of course this is from the 1986 World Cup finals, but it is probably not the one you were thinking of .This was not the "Goal of the Century" ,but one just as good,scored a few days later and in this match he didn't require any help from above!
DIEGO MARADONA for Argentina v Belgium in the1986 World Cup semi-final
The game was again played at the Azteca stadium and once again the little man gathered the ball from the right and ran at the Belgium defenders.
As three of them converged on him, he jinked past them and left them for dead ,mere statues; Then after mesmerising the final defender he hammered the ball past the helpless keeper.
Final score Argentina 2 Belgium 0
Maradona made it look easy ,and we almost expected all of his goals to be like this.
Easy does it
It was a great year for Maradona as he propelled himself to be the world's greatest player and inspired Argentina to their second World Cup triumph.
Maradona's career had many ups and downs, but the great man always made an impact at wherever he played his football, he won many awards even after he finished playing.
Maradona Club and International Record Awards
- 1979 Golden Ball for Best Player of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup
- 1979 Argentine Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year
- 1979 South American Footballer of the Year
- 1979 Argentine League Top Scorer
- 1980 Argentine Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year
- 1980 Argentine League Top Scorer
- 1981 Argentine Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year
- 1981 Argentine League Top Scorer
- 1986 Argentine Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year
- 1986 South American Footballer of the Year
- 1986 Argentine Sports Writers’ Sportsman of the Year
- 1986 Golden Ball
- 1986 World Player of the Year
- 1987 Best Football in the World
- 1987 Serie A Top Scorer
- 1989 South American Footballer of the Year
- 1990 South American Footballer of the Year
- 1992 South American Footballer of the Year
- 1996 Golden Ball, services to football
- 1999 Argentine Sports Writers’ Sportsman of the Century
- 2000 People’s Choice Best Footballer of the Century
- 2002 FIFA Goal of the Century
- 2005 Argentine Senate Lifetime Achievement
Great football hubs
- The World Cup Twenty Top Quotes
Here are some of my favourite quotes from the past World Cups. The world cup is a great tournament,and these are great quotes from great players.
- Top Ten World Cup Heroes Pele-The Best
Pele was a three times World Cup winner with Brazil the record winning World Cup nation. Pele was an outstanding player and goalscorer for both club and country.
- FIFA Football World Cup winners-Argentina
Argentina first won the World Cup in1978, where they delighted their ecstatic home supporters in Buenos Aires as captain Daniel Passerella held the World cup aloft, and the nation that loved to watch football knew they had the trophy they so...
- The World Cup Mascots. The Story So Far and Meet Zakumi
FIFA'S Latest Mascot
- Football's greatest players.Ferenc Puskas
Puskas was quite simply a Hungarian goal machine
- Top Ten World Cup Heroes. Garrincha -The Joy Of The People
With the next world cup the South Africa 2010 World Finals only months away.We wonder who could become the next world cup hero. Here are my top ten World Cup heroes to date.In no particular order. ...
More by this Author
Alex Higgins was a snooker legend. To his fans he will always be remembered as the peoples champion. Her are a few things the world of snooker have said about Alex Higgins.
Money has dominated football for sometime now. Here are my favourite football quotes on how money plays a part in the game
Here are many great snooker quotes from the great players.Champions Steve Davis Ronnie O'Sullivan and Alex Higgins.
No comments yet.